Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Sep 26, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #1,366 of 3,541
Quote:
Tokendog,

Which Q cable did you get??

The new French Silk one.  I got it terminated in 4 pin XLR with a 1/4 adapter cable.

Quote:
Awesome! Make sure to post your impressions fo the Q in the appreciation thread.

I definitely will.  I was surprised to see that the Mjolnir shipped today despite the website saying it would take 3-5 days to ship.  I found myself feeling like a kid again when I got that e-mail.  I was figuring it would be some time next week, now I might actually get it this week.

Unfortunately, according to the site, the Q-cable is going to take a bit longer.  Oh well, at least in the mean time I'll have the new amp to try out. :)

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #1,368 of 3,541
I pulled the trigger on a Mjolnir just now. I have the great Appalachian cable from BTG Audio to go along with it, in its balanced goodness.

Will report back after some extensive listening.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #1,369 of 3,541
Quote:
I pulled the trigger on a Mjolnir just now. I have the great Appalachian cable from BTG Audio to go along with it, in its balanced goodness.

Will report back after some extensive listening.

Mine was supposed to be delivered tomorrow, but FedEx held it for a day for some odd reason and then changed the delivery date to Tuesday. :frowning2:

I was not amused.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #1,370 of 3,541
I know this is a silly question, but if I were to buy the Mjolnir, could I connect my bifrost to it? Or is it more optimal to connect it to the Gungnir? I currently have the Bifrost/Valhalla combo, but after receiving my HE-400 I'm shopping for a new amp. 

I had originally planned to get the Lyr, but if I tube roll a lot, I think it might be better to just save up for an amp that will be futureproof. (I most likely will get the HE-6 in the future when I have money, I'm really loving the planar headphones :D

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #1,371 of 3,541
Yes, via RCA aka single ended. But it's theoretically optimal to connect via balanced aka Gungnir, you have more gain, and some obscure advantages, plus the fact that Schiit claims Gungnir to be quite a bit more superior than the Bifrost.

I would hang on the Bifrost, sell the Valhalla, get the Mjolnir, and save a bit more for the Gungnir, then sell your Bifrost and pull the trigger. It's too bad you need to spend more $ on a balanced cable. I suggest Double Helix Cables since I found it was the cheapest reliable option amongst the different brands.

Quote:
I know this is a silly question, but if I were to buy the Mjolnir, could I connect my bifrost to it? Or is it more optimal to connect it to the Gungnir? I currently have the Bifrost/Valhalla combo, but after receiving my HE-400 I'm shopping for a new amp. 

I had originally planned to get the Lyr, but if I tube roll a lot, I think it might be better to just save up for an amp that will be futureproof. (I most likely will get the HE-6 in the future when I have money, I'm really loving the planar headphones :D

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #1,372 of 3,541
Quote:

+1 to everything GG said. I'd only add that if you're planning on driving the HE-6...the Gungnir is a must.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #1,374 of 3,541
Quote:

So with the Gungnir the MJ is able to drive the HE-6    -   good,  better than good,  great?

Or did I misunderstand you here?

It's able to drive it better than good. But don't get me wrong here, a speaker amp is/will be better. 

Mjolnir without Gungnir driving HE-6 sounds more like Lyr. It's ok, but there's a lot wrong.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #1,375 of 3,541
Anyone that has used the Mjolnir as a power amp? I.e. keep the volume pot on the Mjolnir on MAX - and use a pre (or DAC with pre/volume control).

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #1,377 of 3,541
Just out of curiosity. Maybe the full 5W was put into business. Cf. HE-6 discussions...

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #1,378 of 3,541
Quote:
Yes, via RCA aka single ended. But it's theoretically optimal to connect via balanced aka Gungnir, you have more gain, and some obscure advantages, plus the fact that Schiit claims Gungnir to be quite a bit more superior than the Bifrost.

I would hang on the Bifrost, sell the Valhalla, get the Mjolnir, and save a bit more for the Gungnir, then sell your Bifrost and pull the trigger. It's too bad you need to spend more $ on a balanced cable. I suggest Double Helix Cables since I found it was the cheapest reliable option amongst the different brands.

The guys over at Blue Jeans Cables are fantastic and BTG Audio does phenomenal work for the price.

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #1,379 of 3,541
Quote:
The guys over at Blue Jeans Cables are fantastic and BTG Audio does phenomenal work for the price.

BJC only does interconnects though. I agree Brian does a fantastic job and has great prices.

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #1,380 of 3,541
Quote:
BJC only does interconnects though. I agree Brian does a fantastic job and has great prices.

Sorry, I should of been more clear. BJC for my balanced interconnects and BTG for my headphone cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back