Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Sep 2, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #1,051 of 3,541
Quote:

Bottom line is that both the Bryston BHA-1 and Mjolnir sound better with balanced inputs. At least that's what Anax and I have found during the micro-meet and over the last few days. If the BHA-1 is bridged (two identical amps driving out of phase signals), then there's probably an additional phase splitter circuit in front.

What did the "better" balanced input bring to the table comparative to SE.

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #1,053 of 3,541
To take the source out of it, run it balanced in and toggle to SE input.  That will ground the negative leg.  Could be the PWD2 uses a sum-er for its single ended output.

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,054 of 3,541
Quote:
What do you mean "BAT preamp with all balanced input"?  What extra connection are you referring to?  My understanding was to get the benefits of balanced audio, I need a balanced DAC (Gungir) > balanced headphone amp/preamp (WA22) > headphone via balanced cable (LCD3)

What I meant is get a BAT preamp, its a brand, you can get others, that way you can connect all your balanced source let it be dac, cd, sacd or whatever you want in the future and output it to your amps.  This way you can have one balanced output to your headphone amp and another to your amp driving the maggies. 

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #1,055 of 3,541
Hi,

I found that balanced has a snappier sound but it's really not better, but somewhat of a flavor that these designs offer. I used to rave balanced it better but I think it's equal to SE. I think some headphones are better balanced, such as orthodynamic headphones, as they require more power than some single ended designs can offer. I think the LCD-2 sounds best when balanced as it gives the sound some more "life".

Also balanced gear seems to be more affordable now than it was when it first came out. I would always recommend single ended over balanced as it's still more cost effective than a fully balanced set-up.

I know someone who has their Mjolnir amp and he says it's better than his B22. I find that hard to believe but who knows. I have yet to hear it so I am unsure but I wish to give it a listen sometime.

As for my ROC, it still gets lots of use. I sue my T1 and T5p on it as well as the HD600. The HD600 sounds BEAST on this amp, even more snappy than lets say the Auditor. I like that a lot! Also it drives the T5p's a bit better than what my V200 does. It really is a versatile amp.

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #1,056 of 3,541
Quote:
Hi,

I found that balanced has a snappier sound but it's really not better, but somewhat of a flavor that these designs offer. I used to rave balanced it better but I think it's equal to SE. I think some headphones are better balanced, such as orthodynamic headphones, as they require more power than some single ended designs can offer. I think the LCD-2 sounds best when balanced as it gives the sound some more "life".

Also balanced gear seems to be more affordable now than it was when it first came out. I would always recommend single ended over balanced as it's still more cost effective than a fully balanced set-up.

I know someone who has their Mjolnir amp and he says it's better than his B22. I find that hard to believe but who knows. I have yet to hear it so I am unsure but I wish to give it a listen sometime.

Peter's full impression of Mjolnir will be telling, he's had his B22 for seemingly forever.

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #1,057 of 3,541
Hi,

Yes I meant Peter from DHC. I spoken with him in G-Mail about the amp and he said it bests his B22. Now that's a bold statement to make!

Quote:
Peter's full impression of Mjolnir will be telling, he's had his B22 for seemingly forever.

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #1,058 of 3,541
Quote:
Hi,

Yes I meant Peter from DHC. I spoken with him in G-Mail about the amp and he said it bests his B22. Now that's a bold statement to make!

Gotta love it. The B22 was the de facto standard for me as well. I have never gotten to hear any EC amps, and I bet that'd be the exception.
But for the price, it's got tons of value. (Mjolnir that is).

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #1,059 of 3,541
Quote:
Gotta love it. The B22 was the de facto standard for me as well. I have never gotten to hear any EC amps, and I bet that'd be the exception.
But for the price, it's got tons of value. (Mjolnir that is).

I'm not sure all B22's sound the same.  I have many different parts in mine and it was done by Ying (YBM).  Some day we need to find a way to compare B22's.

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #1,062 of 3,541
Quote:

I'm not sure all B22's sound the same.  I have many different parts in mine and it was done by Ying (YBM).  Some day we need to find a way to compare B22's.

This is very true. I've heard a build by YBM, it was very good. And honestly I've yet to hear a bad B22. Admittedly 
I've heard only 2 B22's that were self builds. I would die to hear Phil's though.....

I think an official B22 meet needs to be in the works haha. Maybe throw in some T2's as well.

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #1,063 of 3,541
Quote:
I have HD-650s,  sourced some cables from toxic cables:

http://toxic-cables.co.uk/

They get a very good name (Although am still waiting for my Mjolnir,  so cant confirm this personally,  but look at this thread,  http://www.head-fi.org/t/609155/toxic-cables-the-appreciation-thread , he gets loads of great feedback).  I just told him what headphones I have and what I wanted to connect to,  he then gave me the options.  Took about three weeks.

Frank at Toxic is amazing. Highly recommended upgrade!

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #1,064 of 3,541
Quote:
Just if anybody cares: 

Mjolnir is written Mjølner in Norse/Norwegian and pronounced like this: 

M - J (as in the Y in "you") - Ø (as in the U in "dub") - L (a "thin" L as in the L in "liquid") - N - E (as in the E i "expect") - R (a thin, rolling R, like the Irsih, or upper class British R)

Mjølner/Mjolnir is the hammer that the God of Thunder and Lightning "Thor" used to create all the the thunder and lightning. He also rode across the sky in a chariot pulled by some mean goats.  

Anybody knows if Nordost and Schiit is related - I mean because of all the norse naming and stuff? Or are Americans just generally more prone to norse naming than I thought?

They sure are where I live! Northern Wisconsin is about half Norwegian...Ya Sure You Betcha!

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #1,065 of 3,541
Quote:
 I'm rather tempted to get one myself given the price, although I don't really need another amp.

This matters because?......
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back