Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Mar 15, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #3,121 of 3,541
  Based on your comments.. I can only say that I found the Mjolnir to bring out the mids and highs, which
I think you'd enjoy, however on the flip-side, there is a lot of energy which may be harsh/aggressive.

I'd agree with this. The Gun+Mjo combo with the LCD-2 is the sweet spot for me. I get a TON of detail out and energy out of the setup which is nice for the LCD-2 which has a dark-ish personality, especially when compared to it's nearest competitor the HD-800 without any of the grating and kind of uncomfortable transparency of the HD-800's. I think Gun+Mjo swings the LCD-2 from a dark headphone to a neutral headphone that lets the record speak for itself, whether it's some fancy Chesky recording or a early classic 70's punk recording in a PLEASANT way.

Lets be honest, if you listen to non-audiophile music you don't want something that's ultra-revealing that a studio would use because low-fi recordings which can be great songs, will sound like crap and that's generally a deal breaker. I like to imagine we don't spend all this money on equipment to make some of our favorite songs sound like crap.

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #3,122 of 3,541
I have now logged several hundred hours on my Schiit stack with first the LCD2.2 then LCD3. Especially with the 3s it seems there is very good synergy there with the amp and dac. So it really boils down to subjective taste and just how far you want to go towards the point of diminishing returns. Certainly there are better amps and dacs and phones too -but- it is also true that this more affordable system is quite capable although can tend to be unforgiving of mediocre recordings. The 3s resolve very well and the Mjolnir is slightly forward as well which plays nicely with the 2.2s I think. Or possibly the X although I have not auditioned those yet.

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #3,123 of 3,541

Lets be honest, if you listen to non-audiophile music you don't want something that's ultra-revealing that a studio would use because low-fi recordings which can be great songs, will sound like crap and that's generally a deal breaker. I like to imagine we don't spend all this money on equipment to make some of our favorite songs sound like crap.

The HD800 is problematic in this regard. My 007 has better detail retrieval and is still rather freaking awesome with really shoddy music. The HD800 can make some decent music barely tolerable.
The Audez'es much the same as the 007 keep bad music sounding good, still.

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #3,124 of 3,541
I agree that the 800's can be 'too revealing', of everything in the audio chain.
But I have found that as the degree of refinement of the entire system improves, that even poorly recorded music can be engaging and enticing.

Indeed that is one of my primary goals, to be able to enjoy any recorded music regardless of its origin.
I have found that even the hiss, that background noise that when it kicks in, is immediately obvious, can now be intriguing instead of being a nuisance or a distraction.  Sometimes I can even hear the air handling system as it tries to deal with the heat in the concert hall.

Further as the system continues to be even more revealing of the distortions induced during the recording and distribution process, it's that they just add 'interesting' layers to the music.
Case in point are some of the early rolling stones albums.
When I was purely analog back in the day, I never owned any of the rolling stones albums because they sounded like crap, utterly horrid. Later albums (early 70's) started to become listenable, sort of, for a few tracks here and there.

I was reminded of this when I got the rolling stones albums digitally.
Those very same early tracks are still horrid but I can at least listen to them now.
And as my current system undergoes small refinements here and there the number of albums I really like to listen to is steadily increasing, and some of the 'new additions' are surprising as my heretofore perception of them was they were mediocre.

In short 800's can be dialed in and they are extremely scaleable.
Which is both good and bad.
Bad in the sense that any additional crap in the rest of the playback system is going to be what you hear, IOW they can sound just like that crap.
Good because as you 'clean up' the system, the rewards can be truly stupendous.

But it does demand careful attention to all of the details that make up the entire system.
As the parts that aren't as up to snuff, (scaleable) are improved (crap removal) there are big improvements to be gained.
Sort of the logical extension of scaleability run amok… 
atsmile.gif

Oh and the mojo amp is really scaleable… :thumb

Interesting times.

JJ

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #3,125 of 3,541
I posted this in the general schiit thread as well, but I'll post here too.

After having my MJ on for I suppose a fairly long time, much longer than normal, when I went back to listen to music I noticed some noise/static coming from my headphones, disconnected everything, reconnected, turned off/on, still there, the Mjolnir has been dead quiet up to this point. Did it get too hot? Am I having EM interference from somewhere? I'm just hoping the next time I listen it will be back to the black background I have come to know out of it.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #3,126 of 3,541

After having my MJ on for I suppose a fairly long time, much longer than normal, when I went back to listen to music I noticed some noise/static coming from my headphones, disconnected everything, reconnected, turned off/on, still there, the Mjolnir has been dead quiet up to this point. Did it get too hot? Am I having EM interference from somewhere? I'm just hoping the next time I listen it will be back to the black background I have come to know out of it.

I'm by no means an expert, but I do know that the Schiit guys say there isn't any problem with leaving the Mjolnir on all the time. Also they say it takes about 15 minutes to fully warm up, are you hearing static after 15 minutes? Are you hearing static with your DAC disconnected and are you connected via RCA or XLR?

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #3,127 of 3,541
Don't know if this is your situation, but I do hear the occasional click/tick/pop when certain switches are turned on/off in my condo... as well as the occasional strong pull of current from an outlet (ie. someone using the vacuum cleaner). It's only when there are changes like that though... not consistently/intermittently there. Seems the Mjolnir can be a bit sensitive to your power source (or errr wiring in the home??? Dunno 
confused.gif
I'm not an electrical engineer).

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #3,128 of 3,541
It was evident only after a very long period of on, andhad been fine iIP to that point, I won't be able to verify if it is still there or not till I get home, but it seemed odd when nothing else changed. Verified with DAC disconnected

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #3,129 of 3,541

Did you check to make sure it's not just the headphone? 

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #3,130 of 3,541
It was evident only after a very long period of on, andhad been fine iIP to that point, I won't be able to verify if it is still there or not till I get home, but it seemed odd when nothing else changed. Verified with DAC disconnected

Is it a 60HZ hum or white noise? First, if possible, try different headphones or try your current headphones on a different amp. Any new appliances or dimmer switches installed? Try a different outlet?

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #3,131 of 3,541
I get noise when I use the Mjolnir sometimes.  Change amps and no noise.  Comes and goes.  I live in an apartment building and share it with three others.  Changing out the Mjo for something else is all I've ever done to "fix" it, or what have you.  I figure there's garbage on the AC line and the Mjo is actually a sensitive lil thing more than an outright hammer all the time.

It's never made noise when it travels to other people's homes.

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #3,132 of 3,541
I had the same issue with my mjolnir, it's weirdly sensitive to ac line noise when my other amp was completely unaffected.  Had to replace a cheap light dimmer switch with on/off switch in my living room to get rid of buzzing.

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #3,133 of 3,541
Yeah, no issues, it must be coming from the AC line. Guess a power conditioner might be in my future after all.

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #3,134 of 3,541
Has anyone had issues with a sort of crackling sound from the mjolnir now and then? I'd describe it as a sort of not fully volumed "pop" coming from one of the channels - and I'm unsure of why. It doesn't happen often though. My local dealer thought it could be a problem with the the soldering, and wanted me to stop by with it. Only issue is the price for a general check and that I'll be without an amp. It's not "that" expensive but a bit of a hassle. 

Would you guys go get it checked out or assume it might be from my PC for instance? 

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #3,135 of 3,541
I would believe it's coming from dirt on the AC line or from your computer before a bad solder joint. It could even be a light switch in a closet in the basement two floors below that does it.

I've dealt with two cold solder joints in my life and both times it's more of an electrical zzzt sound and not a pop, then it either continues to work, or not.

If you have another amp you could swap it in and do various things with your computer to replicate the pop sound, and that might narrow it down for ya. But as we were discussing in the few posts before yours, it seems the Mjolnir is a tad touchy to noise in the power lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back