Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Jun 26, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #79 of 3,541
Jun 26, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #80 of 3,541
Sooner than later I hope.  If history hold true, once they ship SOMEONE won't like it and should see some pop on For Sale for me to snipe :wink:  Also looking at the Burson Soloist.  If any other designers are lurking... headamp with preamp is a much easier sell than pure headamp at the cost of a pair of RCA/XLR.

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #81 of 3,541
Pre-ordered mine, believe I am #9. Cant wait! Solude, I'm kind of shocked you want to compare your B22 to a Mjolnir that costs so much less, but that is good due diligence I suppose. Perhaps a bit of an addiction too, no? :p I can most certainly agree that a pre is a very nice option, but alas --only nice, not required. You know the Mjolnir is stated to have pre-outs right? It's buried in the marketing description only briefly.

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #82 of 3,541
Its more that a headamp already is a pre so tagging on preout opens the amp to a larger market for tiny investment.

As for B22 v Mjolnir... I've never heard a Schiit yet but Kevin Gilmore is excited for this one.  And if Kevin's excited that says something.  That and since when has price and performance gone hand in hand in audio :wink:

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #83 of 3,541
Quote:
Its more that a headamp already is a pre so tagging on preout opens the amp to a larger market for tiny investment.

As for B22 v Mjolnir... I've never heard a Schiit yet but Kevin Gilmore is excited for this one.  And if Kevin's excited that says something.  That and since when has price and performance gone hand in hand in audio :wink:

Indeed very true. Especially when there's a new (relative) topology involved. I have heard Schiit before, but never left fully impressed, except for Lyr perhaps (with those god forsaken uncomfortable HE-6s). I actually am really looking forward to this though, I have a good gut feeling about this one :) FYI, I chose Mjolnir over Yulong A18 and the new Bryston. Wish I could test all 3, but don't have the funds to do so and am getting quite worn out of demoing so many (100's) products in the past year for both my head-fi and 2CH. Only odd man out after this is my Burson 160D in my 2ch lol. Found a Music Hall DAC 25.3 I had collecting dust (kept it for some reason, then got lost in the flurry) and is already a strong contender in stock configuration :) Everything implemented in the 25.3 sucks, except for the RCA out, there's something about it. It's actually better than the Burson in 2ch. The Burson seems to have a V shape sound signature that doesn't bode well for speakers at all. Hows that for hand in hand lol! Hmm, going to update my sig I suppose.

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #84 of 3,541
I swore I was just going to hold out for the Schiit statement, but now you guys are fueling the anticipation and excitement. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #85 of 3,541
Quote:
I swore I was just going to hold out for the Schiit statement, but now you guys are fueling the anticipation and excitement.

I am not one to hype a product, and am a fanboy of no brand. However, when you have gone through so much electronics and a bit of DIY, where you know the sonic benefits of different capacitors, tubes, designs etc, this amp is truly exciting and I am quite certain it will be special. So I definitely don't say this freely like alot of people do.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #86 of 3,541
What I'm loving the idea of, haven't heard one, is that its high power, low part count, balanced, preouts, discrete and uses a pot.  Only thing I wish was different is the case shape.  Its not going to be terribly desktop friendly but I don't think I'm in the majority with studio monitors on my desk.

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #87 of 3,541
Quote:
What I'm loving the idea of, haven't heard one, is that its high power, low part count, balanced, preouts, discrete and uses a pot.  Only thing I wish was different is the case shape.  Its not going to be terribly desktop friendly but I don't think I'm in the majority with studio monitors on my desk.

I couldn't agree more on all fronts. Especially the case shape. I am thinking it will go perfect under my 3x monitor stand (screen, not speaker lol) :) Maybe that will help you.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #88 of 3,541
Quote:
So Denons, Ultrasones, and what other CANS are not recommended?

Use any headphones you like, as long as they're terminated balanced. Mjolnir is insanely quiet. Efficient headphones aren't a problem. HE-6s aren't a problem. Have fun!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 27, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #89 of 3,541
Quote:

Use any headphones you like, as long as they're terminated balanced. Mjolnir is insanely quiet. Efficient headphones aren't a problem. HE-6s aren't a problem. Have fun!

Cool,  I was just going by what's on the product page.

"High-gain amps can be noisy.  This doesn't matter for low-efficiency orthodynamics, but if you have say, Denons, it may not be ideal."

and because of this:

"Be careful with that. I believe 2 members on the boards had blown drivers in their Ed. 8 because of the Lyr."

I know it's not the Lyr - but this unit would be more powerful - correct?

So I though this to be the case with any high efficient dynamic headphone?  So my ED8's and D7000s are safe?

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #90 of 3,541
As safe as driving a Corvette in a residential zone.  Power on tap isn't power on pavement.  Don't crank the Mjolnir to 4 o'clock, press play and walk away and you should be fine.  Ie if the cans are high sensitivity start at muted and move up WITH THEM ON YOUR HEAD.  An 8W amp can't blow cans being run at 1mW.  Beta22 is even more powerful, no one cries about that one.  On paper mine can do 50W, but I'm not going there :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back