Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Sep 3, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #3,226 of 3,541
  Spent a couple of hours today listening to lots of different material on the Mjolnir I'm demoing. The midrange is forward, but smooth and the treble detail sounds very refined and hi res. Quite surprised at the bass though. I'd say the bass presence and impact is half of what I got with the Violectric V200.

In the end I switched back the to my o2 amp and ran a few of the same tracks. I'm not a big fan of the o2, although it has good detail, I think it lacks body and sounds thin, but in comparison to the Mjolnir, it had more bass presence, fuller sound, more body to vocals.

Surely this can't be right. I was expecting the be most impressed with the bass power and dynamics of the Mjolnir.

Not sure how many hours are on it. Dealer said this demo model has been sent out a couple of times before me so I guess 15-30hrs.
Using it with LCD2.2s. Any thoughts?

What DAC are you using? And amplifier basically amplifies and a DAC transcribes the digital into analog. And IMO is more important than amp. I computer or a iPod is going to sound like a amplified iPod or computer (lot of variables there) out of a Mojo or any other amp with little difference.

Sep 4, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #3,227 of 3,541

What DAC are you using? And amplifier basically amplifies and a DAC transcribes the digital into analog. And IMO is more important than amp. I computer or a iPod is going to sound like a amplified iPod or computer (lot of variables there) out of a Mojo or any other amp with little difference.

I'm using an ODAC and a Xonar Essence ST DAC. I'd blame these DACs if I didnt own other amps I can compare to. The o2 is the leanest sounding of them all which is why I'm quite surprised the o2 is a bit more weighty than the Mjolnir.

I was hoping someone might have compared these 2 amps to confirm what I'm hearing is not typical of the Mjolnir.
It's only a demo, so I can send it back. Just expected it to destroy the thin sounding o2 is all.

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #3,228 of 3,541
Burn it in for at least 200 hours (pref more) and return it if it doesn't suit you when it is performing at its best ... unless you REALLY don't believe in component "break-in", but I'd urge you to keep an open mind. Nothing to lose, no ?

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #3,230 of 3,541
Thanks for the tips. Before boxing it back up I did try leaving it powered on for 16 hours, but made no difference. I'm convinced this isnt how the MJ is supposed to sound. Of all the amps I've used with LCDs, in order of bass presence/impact I'd put them like this:
V200 > Naim Nait 5 > Soloist > LD i+ > LD mkiii > RWA Corvina SE > o2 > Mjolnir

It's like a low shelf EQ of -6db has been applied on everything below 500hz and the lowest octave is just missing. Maybe the MJ doesnt like the electrics at my place. Annoying because the upper frequencies sound excellent on it.

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #3,231 of 3,541
Hey guys, I'm upgrading from the 2.2 to the LCD3f's I didn't realise that the 3 has 110ohm resistance, given that at 50ohm mjolnir gives out 5w is it still sufficient to drive the 3's?

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #3,232 of 3,541
I own mjolnir, gungnir and lcd3 and i'm very very happy with it! But I'm reading a lot about auralic taurus and vega. I know its not the same price league but i was really wondering how big the sound difference would be. Has anybode a clue?

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #3,234 of 3,541
The mjolnir will rock those 3s. No worries there. My amp has loads of bass. Drives all Audeze phones with authority. That being said I just cannot get the Auralic Vega and Taurus MkII out of mind. Only problem is coming up with 5 large to make it happen.

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #3,235 of 3,541
The mjolnir will rock those 3s. No worries there. My amp has loads of bass. Drives all Audeze phones with authority. That being said I just cannot get the Auralic Vega and Taurus MkII out of mind. Only problem is coming up with 5 large to make it happen.

Your upgrade path is similar to mine, I started with the m/g with the 2.2's then upgraded to the 3's my next purchase will be the auralic stack and then I think that's me sorted for life

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #3,238 of 3,541
I have been using Mjolnir for about 3 months and have noticed it's sensitivity to the world around it. After about 2 weeks, I noticed a hum in the left channel of my HE-500. After moving it around the house, I found that the hum went away when plugged into a different outlet. Then after putting it back on the original out, the hum seemed to have disappeared.

A few days ago, the hum was back, in the right channel this time. After scouring the house trying to determine the cause, I believe I may have identified the problem.

The outlet that the amp is on is on a circuit that also has our can lights in our kitchen. When I turned the lights off, you guessed it...no more hum.

What causes this? Is there an issue with canned light array? I just don't know the principals do electricity to that degree.

Any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #3,239 of 3,541
I use an SL Waber Wavetracker for the Mjolnir. Similar issue. Light ballasts, LEDs, etc. I don't think SL Waber exists anymore. Try Tripplite Isobar.

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #3,240 of 3,541
Zabzaf I've seen it said the circlotron topology in the mjolnir is more sensitive to ac line noise than other types.  Don't know if tha'ts technically true but I also had a buzz in my mjolnir and I isolated it to the ceiling light dimmer switch in my living room .  I started researching all sorts of expensive power filtering and power transformer options but I decided to just replace the light switch with a cheap on/off type and that fixed it.  If yours is a dimmer you might want to try that, or maybe just install a nicer light switch and it might not have that problem.  I know lutron ones are supposed to be good, their dimmer switches have built in rfi/emi filters.  It's weird, right?  None of my other amps had the buzzing, only the mjolnir.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back