Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
May 27, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #3,181 of 3,541
I have a question regarding using both single ended and balanced input on the Mjolnir.
If I connect both (RCA and XLR) to my Mjolnir and set the toggle on the back to SE I can only hear music from the RCA connection if I also play music via the XLR connection, if not, no music from the RCA connecting makes it to my headphone. I have to unplug the XLR's to get the RCA's to work. So basically I can't leave the XLR's connected if I want to use the RCA input..
Is this correct or is my Mjolnir defect?

Thanks!

Gert-Jan

May 27, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #3,182 of 3,541
  I have a question regarding using both single ended and balanced input on the Mjolnir.
If I connect both (RCA and XLR) to my Mjolnir and set the toggle on the back to SE I can only hear music from the RCA connection if I also play music via the XLR connection, if not, no music from the RCA connecting makes it to my headphone. I have to unplug the XLR's to get the RCA's to work. So basically I can't leave the XLR's connected if I want to use the RCA input..
Is this correct or is my Mjolnir defect?

Thanks!

Gert-Jan

Sounds right; you're only supposed to have one input hooked up at a time.

May 27, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #3,183 of 3,541
Thanks !

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #3,185 of 3,541
My Mjolnir is for sale  Making room for geek pulse x in case that ever ships.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/722668/schiit-mjolnir-for-sale-to-usa

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #3,187 of 3,541
Hi.
Anybody tried drive mjolnir with speakers?
Have 2 speakers with 4 ohm impendace,want to try,but affraid :D

I know I've seen a picture of someone running monitors off the MJ. Fairly certain it will work.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #3,188 of 3,541
  Hi.

Nice way to void the warranty. It's called a "headphone amplifier" for a reason.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 12, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #3,189 of 3,541
It was purrin.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603218/schiit-mjolnir-headphone-amplifier/2580#post_9246029

I initially had the Mjolnir has a pre-amp feeding the Crest CA-2. After I confirmed with Jason that the Mjolnir wouldn't melt with a 8+ ohm load (the Fostex drivers), I wanted to give it a shot. Naturally, it sounds much better straight out of the Molnir than the Crest - less crap in the way. Plenty of juice and sufficient gain considering the speakers are 93-94db efficient.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #3,190 of 3,541
  Hi.

I do not think it would work either.

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #3,191 of 3,541
Hi, I think I have a problem with my Mjolnir 
confused_face_2.gif

I have to use the single ended inputs on the Mjolnir as I now link it directly to my pre-amp instead of the Gungnir. Since I'm running it single ended I have a hum in all of my system (speakers and headphones)
As soon as I disconnect my Mjolnir the hum is gone. I've tried other headphone amps and they are dead quiet in my system. Also when I hook it up via my Gungnir (balanced) I have no issue.

Has any one ever had a similar experience whit their Mjolnir running on single ended inputs?

I've contacted my dealer here in the Netherlands and I'm going send my Mjolnir back to them for testing.

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #3,192 of 3,541
That sounds like a ground loop problem.

Try 'lifting' the ground on the power cable to the Mojo amp.

JJ

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #3,193 of 3,541
  That sounds like a ground loop problem.

Try 'lifting' the ground on the power cable to the Mojo amp.

JJ

Hi JJ,

what do you mean by "lifting" the ground on the power cable?

Jul 1, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #3,194 of 3,541
  Hi JJ,

what do you mean by "lifting" the ground on the power cable?

I realize you are located in Europe and so you have a different wiring scheme.

But I would also assume that you use 3 wires to connect power to the Mojo amp and the rest of your audio gear.
Now if this isn't the case and you use only 2 wires to connect to your ac power, then this may not work.
BUT if you run a separate ground wire to a source of outside ground (like a cold water pipe etc.) this is the 'source' of the ground used in the system.

As a TEST try unconnecting the ground connection at the Mojo, and see if the hum goes away.
IOW you may be grounded twice, which can cause hum due to a ground loop.

BE AWARE that by lifting the ground on the chassis, it MAY become a source of a shock by touching the chassis.
If this happens pull the plug out and re-connect the ground.
And if you are adventurous (and feel confident to do this) you can try this on other equipment in the audio chain, but be aware the same caution applies about being a potential shock hazard.

Now if it makes you uncomfortable in trying this, then don't and get an electrician or somebody you know who is 'handy' with electricity to help you with this. 

But ground loops are usually solvable

Does this answer your question?

JJ

Jul 1, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #3,195 of 3,541
  I realize you are located in Europe and so you have a different wiring scheme.

But I would also assume that you use 3 wires to connect power to the Mojo amp and the rest of your audio gear.
Now if this isn't the case and you use only 2 wires to connect to your ac power, then this may not work.
BUT if you run a separate ground wire to a source of outside ground (like a cold water pipe etc.) this is the 'source' of the ground used in the system.

As a TEST try unconnecting the ground connection at the Mojo, and see if the hum goes away.
IOW you may be grounded twice, which can cause hum due to a ground loop.

BE AWARE that by lifting the ground on the chassis, it MAY become a source of a shock by touching the chassis.
If this happens pull the plug out and re-connect the ground.
And if you are adventurous (and feel confident to do this) you can try this on other equipment in the audio chain, but be aware the same caution applies about being a potential shock hazard.

Now if it makes you uncomfortable in trying this, then don't and get an electrician or somebody you know who is 'handy' with electricity to help you with this. 

But ground loops are usually solvable

Does this answer your question?

JJ

Thanks JJ, I will start to experiment with the ground lead (we use 3 wires here in Netherlands as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back