Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Mar 7, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #2,551 of 3,541
Quote:

This sounds familiar. 
wink.gif

Fully eating more crow here.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #2,553 of 3,541
Quote:

I'm comparing Gungnir to some other DACs at the moment and at $700 it's a very good DAC.

With that said, it's clear Gungnir is the bottleneck in the chain

U srs? I bought it as an end-all DAC.

If you've got some knowledge, perhaps it's time to share with me please :)

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #2,554 of 3,541
Quote:

U srs? I bought it as an end-all DAC.

If you've got some knowledge, perhaps it's time to share with me please :)

And that is perfectly fine.

My thoughts are just comparative to other gear.

I like Gungnir enough that I won't be upgrading until statement.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #2,555 of 3,541
Quote:
And that is perfectly fine.

My thoughts are just comparative to other gear.

I like Gungnir enough that I won't be upgrading until statement.

Well someone's got more disposable income than me =/

I bust my *** trying to save up for the MjoGun

I find that after a certain point, I stop noticing the difference between DAC's. I think most of the audible difference between Bifrost and Gungnir in my opinion is in the balanced architecture. Perhaps that ODAC fad may have some truth to it. I haven't really heard one though although I am intrigued.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #2,556 of 3,541
Quote:

Well someone's got more disposable income than me =/

I bust my *** trying to save up for the MjoGun

I find that after a certain point, I stop noticing the difference between DAC's. I think most of the audible difference between Bifrost and Gungnir in my opinion is in the balanced architecture. Perhaps that ODAC fad may have some truth to it. I haven't really heard one though although I am intrigued.

We're all broke either way. 
biggrin.gif

I've found the M51 to be better than Gungnir, but it is in subtle ways (but that's the nature of going up the ladder, i.e. diminished returns), however I overall find the M51 a poor value because of pricing in the U.S.

There's always better gear out there and differing preferences. I for one find Gungnir quite good
and will keep it a while longer.

I'm over the objective crowd, had more than my fill for the day.

If you think there's truth to it, then make an effort to acquire one and find out for yourself.
ODAC is a good value, nothing more.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #2,557 of 3,541
Quote:
We're all broke either way. 
biggrin.gif

I've found the M51 to be better than Gungnir, but it is in subtle ways (but that's the nature of going up the ladder, i.e. diminished returns), however I overall find the M51 a poor value because of pricing in the U.S.

There's always better gear out there and differing preferences. I for one find Gungnir quite good
and will keep it a while longer.

I'm over the objective crowd, had more than my fill for the day.

If you think there's truth to it, then make an effort to acquire one and find out for yourself.
ODAC is a good value, nothing more.

I think at a certain level of dac/amp, you're just buying DAC/amp's because you like to shop for them when really you should be playing musical chairs with cans.

I see you have HE-6 and HD800, and I'm sure what youre hearing out of the MjoGun is way more scaled up compared to me and my 2's (with cable). What color is your Q? Mine is that awesome red french silk stuff.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #2,558 of 3,541
Quote:

I think at a certain level of dac/amp, you're just buying DAC/amp's because you like to shop for them when really you should be playing musical chairs with cans.

I see you have HE-6 and HD800, and I'm sure what youre hearing out of the MjoGun is way more scaled up compared to me and my 2's (with cable). What color is your Q? Mine is that awesome red french silk stuff.

The incremental differences do add up though. It's just a question of if you can value the subtleties or not.

The LCD-2's are still very good and again, based upon preference superior to the LCD-3's, for example. See Solude.

I have had the red and brown silky Q's. I also have some cotton. And now moving to DHC.

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #2,559 of 3,541
Quote:
The incremental differences do add up though. It's just a question of if you can value the subtleties or not.

The LCD-2's are still very good and again, based upon preference superior to the LCD-3's, for example. See Solude.

I have had the red and brown silky Q's. I also have some cotton. And now moving to DHC.

I ain't paying $2000 for like 5% difference (oh boy here come the flames). I've been into cans for a while and I think the LCD-3 could have easily been the 2's if they released a rev 3.

Yeah I have both of their cables in addition to my DIY ones. Both look really nice on my cans.

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #2,560 of 3,541
Quote:

I ain't paying $2000 for like 5% difference (oh boy here come the flames). I've been into cans for a while and I think the LCD-3 could have easily been the 2's if they released a rev 3.

Yeah I have both of their cables in addition to my DIY ones. Both look really nice on my cans.

No, I don't think any flames will head your way. Most of us acknowledge the incremental improvements the LCD-3 offer.

I've gone with DHC because I needed a white-ish cable. Steve wouldn't do it. Haha.

All in all it's just an aesthetics choice as I'm having my HD800 stormtrooper-ed out very soon.

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #2,561 of 3,541
Quote:

If you were really thinking about the LCD-3 I'd suggest just waiting around until their next iteration. When the 3 was released they basically said it was a stepping stone to their next version. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #2,562 of 3,541
Quote:
If you were really thinking about the LCD-3 I'd suggest just waiting around until their next iteration. When the 3 was released they basically said it was a stepping stone to their next version. 

Might be a long time.  The closed backs are the next headphone their planning on releasing. Or I'm I wrong?

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #2,563 of 3,541
I guess you are right. Waiting on LCD-4 and not getting the LCD-3 - is well - madness if you like the Audeze house sound. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #2,564 of 3,541
Quote:
I guess you are right. Waiting on LCD-4 and not getting the LCD-3 - is well - madness if you like the Audeze house sound. 

Is this for real? i just got the LCD-3 a few months ago. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #2,565 of 3,541
Quote:

Is this for real? i just got the LCD-3 a few months ago. 

I've had mine since November 2011. So no...the LCD-3s have been out for about a year and a half. Is there an LCD-4? Likely, just like an HD900 or HE-7. When? No one outside of the respective company knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back