Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #2,581 of 2,797
The fan on top of the amp aimed at the vents and the heat sinks WORKS. The heat sinks are COLD. Literally. The bottom of the amp is only very slightly warm at all. I am still going to get a stand to get the amp off the top of the dac, but my concerns about the heat are a non-issue with the fan blowing cooling air onto the vents and the heat sinks. Been running the stack over 11 hours now. I am re-discovering my favs with this stack. All genres are sounding exquisite. The fan cost 20 clams at Best Buy. LOL :L3000:

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #2,582 of 2,797
The fan on top of the amp aimed at the vents and the heat sinks WORKS. The heat sinks are COLD. Literally. The bottom of the amp is only very slightly warm at all. I am still going to get a stand to get the amp off the top of the dac, but my concerns about the heat are a non-issue with the fan blowing cooling air onto the vents and the heat sinks. Been running the stack over 11 hours now. I am re-discovering my favs with this stack. All genres are sounding exquisite. The fan cost 20 clams at Best Buy. LOL :L3000:
I wouldn’t worry about overheating. Schiits designs are rock solid. Also, you want your MJ to heat up. It sounds best when it’s hot. Run it with no worries, it’s the latest batch and there’s the 5 year warranty, can’t go wrong.

Apr 21, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #2,585 of 2,797
I wouldn’t worry about overheating. Schiits designs are rock solid. Also, you want your MJ to heat up. It sounds best when it’s hot. Run it with no worries, it’s the latest batch and there’s the 5 year warranty, can’t go wrong.
Well actually, electronics components function optimally when their temperature STABILIZES. Rate of electron conductance is affected by temperature. It is not exactly true that semiconductors MUST be hot to achieve their best operational state, what IS important is that they have achieved stability at an operational temperature that IS NO LONGER CHANGING. So, if no cooling fans are employed, the semiconductors and to a lesser degree inductors and capacitors do achieve a level of temperature stability with cooling provided by the heat sinks and the outside case. This temperature is going to be very warm especially in Class A operation, and yes Schiit has designed very robust devices that can survive at these elevated temperatures, but that in no way implies that they HAVE TO run at these elevated temperatures in order to work optimally. The life and robust survival of semiconductors is seriously enhanced by running at lower temperatures over their lifetime.

As long as they have achieved STABILITY of operating temperature, they are in their happy spot (NPN and PNP junctions specifically) but also transformers and capacitors such that when they have stopped experiencing temperature delta, in other words, rate of change of temperature has approached zero. This can be at elevated temps such as when no external cooling is provided, and the amp will run hot. OR it can be at lower temps such as when external aids to cooling (a fan) are employed. Then, semiconductors and related components will operate at their best, AND also will do so for years of reliable service due to not having to run closer to the breakdown temperatures.

So, the misconception that these devices MUST run at greatly elevated temperatures to function at their best, is false. This is why I used a liquid cooling cooling system on my CPU when I built my computers. And the cases of computers (usually) have more than one cooling fan, especially GPUs, especially the high-end Nvidia and similar cards. Because the intent and necessity is to control excessive operating temperatures. So using a fan to help quell excessive temps from heat sinks helps draw the heat away at a faster rate, the components inside the case do achieve a temperature delta near zero much quicker (rate of change diminishes to near zero) and the semiconductors especially but also everything else inside the case runs happily ever after with much greater reliability. Think about it. IF heat was not mitigated at all, (no heat sinks etc.) the transistors would rapidly approach melt-down. Right? Enough heat conductance ensures that does not happen. Better heat conductance ensures that everything runs cooler and thus can operate near indefinitely AND optimally within that design. OK enough re-iteration on that.

I will happily continue using my little fan to keep those heat sinks and everything inside my amp running cooler. Temperature stability at lower temperatures ensures my amplifier provides awesome music for a long long time. And that makes me very happy. LOL

Apr 21, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #2,586 of 2,797
Well actually, electronics components function optimally when their temperature STABILIZES. Rate of electron conductance is affected by temperature. It is not exactly true that semiconductors MUST be hot to achieve their best operational state, what IS important is that they have achieved stability at an operational temperature that IS NO LONGER CHANGING. So, if no cooling fans are employed, the semiconductors and to a lesser degree inductors and capacitors do achieve a level of temperature stability with cooling provided by the heat sinks and the outside case. This temperature is going to be very warm especially in Class A operation, and yes Schiit has designed very robust devices that can survive at these elevated temperatures, but that in no way implies that they HAVE TO run at these elevated temperatures in order to work optimally. The life and robust survival of semiconductors is seriously enhanced by running at lower temperatures over their lifetime.

As long as they have achieved STABILITY of operating temperature, they are in their happy spot (NPN and PNP junctions specifically) but also transformers and capacitors such that when they have stopped experiencing temperature delta, in other words, rate of change of temperature has approached zero. This can be at elevated temps such as when no external cooling is provided, and the amp will run hot. OR it can be at lower temps such as when external aids to cooling (a fan) are employed. Then, semiconductors and related components will operate at their best, AND also will do so for years of reliable service due to not having to run closer to the breakdown temperatures.

So, the misconception that these devices MUST run at greatly elevated temperatures to function at their best, is false. This is why I used a liquid cooling cooling system on my CPU when I built my computers. And the cases of computers (usually) have more than one cooling fan, especially GPUs, especially the high-end Nvidia and similar cards. Because the intent and necessity is to control excessive operating temperatures. So using a fan to help quell excessive temps from heat sinks helps draw the heat away at a faster rate, the components inside the case do achieve a temperature delta near zero much quicker (rate of change diminishes to near zero) and the semiconductors especially but also everything else inside the case runs happily ever after with much greater reliability. Think about it. IF heat was not mitigated at all, (no heat sinks etc.) the transistors would rapidly approach melt-down. Right? Enough heat conductance ensures that does not happen. Better heat conductance ensures that everything runs cooler and thus can operate near indefinitely AND optimally within that design. OK enough re-iteration on that.

I will happily continue using my little fan to keep those heat sinks and everything inside my amp running cooler. Temperature stability at lower temperatures ensures my amplifier provides awesome music for a long long time. And that makes me very happy. LOL
Well alrighty then, that all makes perfect sense. Also, the life of these components are said to last longer with less on/off switching. I usually let my amp run unless i know i wont be using it for quite a while. Maybe i should invest in a little fan myself lol

Apr 21, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #2,587 of 2,797
Also the reports of popping noises after power down, are due to components cooling down after being at elevated temperatures over time used. Again this is temperature delta at work just in the opposite direction. I notice that when I turn on my amp, within < 5 minutes it is perfectly stable on temperature and sounds great. BECAUSE of temperature regulation and greatly diminished delta time vs delta temperature. I turn on the fan at the same time I turn on the amp. It just takes less time to achieve temperature stability because everything inside the case is already stable to slightly > room temperature. And zero popping noises upon power down either. Many repetitive heat / cool down cycles over time do take their toll on all the components inside the case, including the motherboard. Maintaining the coolest temperature profile possible and operating within the stable temperature region ensures best performance and longevity. FACT.

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #2,589 of 2,797
... The bottom of the amp is only very slightly warm at all. ...
I like what you've done there.

One point is that, IME, it's the bottom of the MJ3 that gets the hottest. Getting some good airflow onto its nether regions will further enhance your cool :)

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #2,590 of 2,797
Apr 21, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #2,592 of 2,797
I'll state another fact: If Schiit thought it needed a fan, they'd include one in the box.
This is also true, i can see both sides being equally correct, i believe in optimal temperatures as well as taking measures to prolong component life. I let my MJ3 cook, i think very few of us have the discipline to keep an amp longer than 5 years no matter how good it sounds lol

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #2,593 of 2,797
I'll state another fact: If Schiit thought it needed a fan, they'd include one in the box.
According to Jason they almost did exactly that.

There was also some speak of not offering silver at launch due to heat dissipation issues with the silver chassis. Have since added a silver lid to my first run MJ3 without issues, but I am keeping an eye on the caps 👀
Some silent revisions between the first run and what's being produced today.

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #2,595 of 2,797
According to Jason they almost did exactly that.

There was also some speak of not offering silver at launch due to heat dissipation issues with the silver chassis. Have since added a silver lid to my first run MJ3 without issues, but I am keeping an eye on the caps 👀
Some silent revisions between the first run and what's being produced today.

I'm aware of the comments you're referring to. At launch, it there was only black (which is quite common with Schiit nowadays since it's cheaper and has a more consistent finish). People asked for silver and Jason said he'd have to test to see if that hurt the thermals enough to make it not viable. At no point in time did Jason suggest they might add a fan (where would you put it and also, this is a limited run product- making a change like that makes no sense), but rather that silver wouldn't happen if it required active cooling.

To remind people: Yes, I'm running a fan! Well 2x 80mm case fans to be precise. But my Mjolnir is also stuck in an audio rack with a 4" air gap and since there aren't really any drafts the air/heat will cause the local ambient air around the amp to heat up and reduce the effectiveness of the heat sinks, since they need open air to be effective. The fans are running at a very low speed (I can't hear them if I put my head right in front of the amp) and only produce a very slight breeze- but that's enough to wick the hot air away from the amp and pull in cool air to let the heat sinks work effectively.

IMG_1509.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back