Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #2,611 of 2,776
MJ3 and Flux Mentor. Both fantastic for $1200 and $1300 respectively.
Did you start with MiB, Vet, or did you come from A1/A2?

I came from BF2 OG which I moved to my work setup. I have heard the A2 many times from meets and multiple Schiitr visits so I was very familiar with how that combo sounds. MiB with MJ3 was my most recent demo which I find a slightly more refined paring (MJ3 really highlights the detail refinements of the MiB) than the A2/MJ3, and I've also tried LiM and MJ3 combo (very pleasing combo but laid-back and lacks inner detail compared to A2 and MiB) sometimes)

I haven't tried the Flux Mentor, but can see how it's made to really drive Susvara and especially Tungsten more than the MJ3

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #2,612 of 2,776
I would love to listen to a Susvara with this stack. Maybe someday. However, these Elites are just absolutely singing so nice, hard to get motivated too much about different cans right now. Someday perhaps. Re-discovering all my favorites and it is a treat.
don’t change a thing….Just enjoy the music and magic of MJ3

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #2,613 of 2,776
I came from BF2 OG which I moved to my work setup. I have heard the A2 many times from meets and multiple Schiitr visits so I was very familiar with how that combo sounds. MiB with MJ3 was my most recent demo which I find a slightly more refined paring (MJ3 really highlights the detail refinements of the MiB) than the A2/MJ3, and I've also tried LiM and MJ3 combo (very pleasing combo but laid-back and lacks inner detail compared to A2 and MiB) sometimes)

I haven't tried the Flux Mentor, but can see how it's made to really drive Susvara and especially Tungsten more than the MJ3
I had read this before on SBAF now that u say it i remember anyways. It does seem to pair fabulously with the MJ3. As I am awaiting my Tungsten SS' I certainly was prepping for them with this chain. Mentor < A1 is great but I think A2 > Mentor > Tungsten SS will be awesome for rap and edm which are my mains. I definitely think MiB > Mentor > SS would be as well. Its just that it would cost me $1100 to go from my A1 to Unison + Mib upgrades out the door, and I can get from A1 to A2 used market swapping for around $500-550 so it's the more appealing option currently. While I'm certain Mib > Mentor would be lovely I hope to hear more sonic richness and bass weight from A2 > Mentor, hopefully not enough to bloat with Tungsten SSs. Thats my only question.

But if I do find that to be the case I can always sell the A2 chips for at least a chunk of what MiB would cost. If I don't hear any bloat I aint touching a damn thing for a minute lol. My wallet is beat tf up/

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #2,614 of 2,776
I had read this before on SBAF now that u say it i remember anyways. It does seem to pair fabulously with the MJ3. As I am awaiting my Tungsten SS' I certainly was prepping for them with this chain. Mentor < A1 is great but I think A2 > Mentor > Tungsten SS will be awesome for rap and edm which are my mains. I definitely think MiB > Mentor > SS would be as well. Its just that it would cost me $1100 to go from my A1 to Unison + Mib upgrades out the door, and I can get from A1 to A2 used market swapping for around $500-550 so it's the more appealing option currently. While I'm certain Mib > Mentor would be lovely I hope to hear more sonic richness and bass weight from A2 > Mentor, hopefully not enough to bloat with Tungsten SSs. Thats my only question.

But if I do find that to be the case I can always sell the A2 chips for at least a chunk of what MiB would cost. If I don't hear any bloat I aint touching a damn thing for a minute lol. My wallet is beat tf up/
So true. We have to try to work within the budget to pull this stuff off. I got my Elites from a guy on HF and less than half price, and they are just really working well. I am thinking about trying a dynamic driver someday, ZMF is making some gorgeous headphones, well reviewed, but I have had nothing but planars for the last 20 years, so not sure about that. I always keep an eye on the used market to try to find deals to shave the costs, couldn't do it otherwise. I would have saved a lot if I had just bot the MiB first instead of the LiM but that was a result of not doing enough homework first. My bad. Oh well. Not that LiM and mini weren't synergistic, they are but not at the level of the MiB and M3 at all.

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #2,615 of 2,776
can’t go wrong with Atrium
0C116BE2-8B9F-4035-A6BC-5E75EAF2DB29.jpeg

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #2,616 of 2,776
Damn what a nice setup! How does the Atrium with the biodyna drivers work with M3? Please tell me they are god-like? I have been so wanting the Atrium for the longest. Not too sure about the Caldera, but would surely love to audition them in my humble chain someday.

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #2,618 of 2,776
Damn what a nice setup! How does the Atrium with the biodyna drivers work with M3? Please tell me they are god-like? I have been so wanting the Atrium for the longest. Not too sure about the Caldera, but would surely love to audition them in my humble chain someday.
Atrium will not disappoint you if you want to get ZMF Dynamic. If you want to have Planar then wait for ZMF Caldera closed. It will be awesome with MJ3.

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #2,619 of 2,776
I have fallen in love with Mjolnir, do let me know if anyone is looking to offload the same.

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #2,620 of 2,776
Atrium will not disappoint you if you want to get ZMF Dynamic. If you want to have Planar then wait for ZMF Caldera closed. It will be awesome with MJ3.
Been looking at $2k+ headphones recently, and I was considering both ZMF offerings and the HE1000SE (gave up on trying to get the Tungsten). Been having the itch to upgrade from my Arya Stealth that I have owned for about 2 years now. My Mjolnir 3 is paired with a BF2/64 at the moment, and I have been enjoying it more than my Burson Soloist 3XP. I listen to a little bit of everything, would you say I would be better served spending a little more on the Atrium or the Caldera vs a HE1000se?

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #2,621 of 2,776
Been looking at $2k+ headphones recently, and I was considering both ZMF offerings and the HE1000SE (gave up on trying to get the Tungsten). Been having the itch to upgrade from my Arya Stealth that I have owned for about 2 years now. My Mjolnir 3 is paired with a BF2/64 at the moment, and I have been enjoying it more than my Burson Soloist 3XP. I listen to a little bit of everything, would you say I would be better served spending a little more on the Atrium or the Caldera vs a HE1000se?
I feel like although zmf headphones are good, you pay a premium for them. There’s always better performance out there for the money. Now with that being said they are beautifully made headphones that offer more than just sonics, but if money matters to you I’d go another route. I want to own an atrium at some point but it’ll have to hold off untill money is less of an issue. For now, my money goes to hifiman headphones as they offer the best price/performance in my opinion.

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #2,622 of 2,776
Unfortunately I have never heard HE1000SE but based on some feedback it has grand staging and bass but is slightly bright as well.
I’m long time ZMF user so I may point you to that direction and since you are enjoying MJ3 and BF2 so looks like you enjoy warm and punchy sound and hence Atrium might be right for you.

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #2,623 of 2,776
They are all very different sounding headphones, but I like all three more than the Arya. If you like your Arya, the HEKSE would be the obvious upgrade path. Especially since HiFiMan's big price cut these are good value. They offer the same spacious, and tall soundstage familiar from the Arya. Resolution, refinement, detail, coherence are all better than the Arya.
ZMF headphones are a completely different breed. Neither the Atrium not the Caldera will be as spacious as the HiFiMans but they bring other treats to the table which make me love them more. ZMF sound in general can be described as thick, weighty, organic, lush, slightly warm with great bass. Atrium with its dynamic drivers sound very dynamic with big bass and good 3D staging. It is close, but resolution is a bit behind the HEKSE and Caldera. Still the Atrium has many fans as it is one of the most organic and enveloping headphones. The Caldera is my favourite ZMF and one of my favourite headphones ever. The ZMF planar has that last bit of sub-bass extension the Atrium is missing due to its dynamic drivers. There is weight, impact, clarity; planar speed with the natural and lush organic tone and timbre usually known from good dynamic driver headphones. It is less spacious than the HEKSE, but the image is more focused and separation is excellent. Also, remember that with ZMF headphones you have several fine-tuning options with a selection of earpads and meshes. If you don't like the headphones with a certain type of earpads, you might love them with a different pair.

In a nutshell to me HEKSE and oval HiFiMan headphones in general sound large, spacious, but also a little bright, thinner and diffuse to different extent depending on the model. ZMF on the other hand sounds weighty, thick, lush, organic, alive. As always, YMMV.

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #2,624 of 2,776
Unfortunately I have never heard HE1000SE but based on some feedback it has grand staging and bass but is slightly bright as well.
I’m long time ZMF user so I may point you to that direction and since you are enjoying MJ3 and BF2 so looks like you enjoy warm and punchy sound and hence Atrium might be right for you.
I watched several reviewer's impressions of the Atrium more recently, and they stated that they just get lost in the music when they use them. Waiting until my next paycheck to place my order for either option, but I am leaning heavy towards the Atrium. Next purchase after that will most likely be a cable upgrade for them, lol.
Thanks

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #2,625 of 2,776
I always laugh when i hear people call Hek 'bright'. No, fam, there's fabulous.
Some people are just allergic to anything higher than 2k Hz or something

Users who are viewing this thread

Back