Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #2,431 of 2,949
Quick question from a person who is still thinking about buying
How big is the improvement in details, stage, and other characteristics? is it a significant improvement, noticeable improvement, or barely noticeable improvement? I'm 2 weeks away from ordering S17 pro or another 6 from ordering mjolnir and I'm not completely sure whether doubling the price and extra month of wait are justified. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any direct comparison except "Yep it's better" and I cannot listen to either of them before ordering
will be very grateful for any comparison

@Currawong , maybe you can shed some light on my dilemma, please.
Everything from the responses you’ve received falls in line with what i believe to be true. If your looking for an amp to hold onto for a good while, the S17 pro isn’t it, it’s a wonderful amp, full, warm, and can be pretty spacious as well…but the problems with the S17 pro (atleast when i had one) was mainly the heat issue. Also, the S17 pro’s sound can be too much of a good thing at times. It’s engaging and a bit forgiving, so if your into that then feel free to save some money and pass on the MJ3.

Now on the other side, the MJ3 can pretty much do it all, but as the others stated, it’s really picky. It scales like nothing else in its price range. Also, it’s offers a much more life like presentation. It will tell you if something is great, and when something isn’t so great. It’s the amp to have over a long period of time, and you won’t have to worry about a MJ4 for quite a while, not that you will with the S17 (Aune are good folks in that regard as well). Beware, i was happy with my Bifrost 2/64 untill i got the MJ3 lol now im itching for a yggy.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #2,432 of 2,949
I have a bifrost uber with 4490 upgrade and unison USB.
I just started to combine my listening equipment and bought this dac November last year as a temporary solution. The idea was to budget denafrips ares once I get an amp, but I can stretch to something like Yggy (or its successor by the time when I will become ready) or Merason Frerot (it has nice esthetics and, as far as I understood from @GeraltDHowl posts, it pairs nicely with MJ3).
headphones are focal celestee and senh hd6xx
Currently using Moondrop Bravo Ocean amp that was landed by my colleague

So, I am still not sure that I completely understand where I'm getting myself into. And I am not sure whether it is an adequate path. As I've mentioned the idea to swap 30-dollar headphones and bose QC35 for something that can make music more enjoyable came to me not so long ago. I hope for some advice or direction. The aim is to buy amp and settle with it for next 10 years or more.
If you want something that doesn’t need an upgrade for 10 years, then the MJ3 is the way to go. But once you experience the MJ3, you will feel like upgrading your DAC. It’s like you have a Corvette but you are using a Bicycle to pull it along. That itch to upgrade is unbearable at least for me.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #2,433 of 2,949
How’s the latest batches of this amp going and the heat? Definitely considering it strongly now but wanted to give them time to iron out the kinks if there were any.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #2,434 of 2,949
How’s the latest batches of this amp going and the heat? Definitely considering it strongly now but wanted to give them time to iron out the kinks if there were any.
My batch was after December. It is still doing great. The heat only occurs on the black right 2 vents. The over all heat is mild just don’t touch those two right vents. You can also put a set of computer fan over it.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #2,435 of 2,949
The heat it's a given since this is a pure class-A amp, the thing that I would keep and eye on is the cap situation, been keeping and eye on this thread precisely to see if there's any problems with the amp, it seems it was a problem in just a few cases and Schiit took care of it, as the always do, but it can be annoying having to ship back your unit for repairs.

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #2,436 of 2,949
Deleted because of repost.

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #2,437 of 2,949
Quick question from a person who is still thinking about buying
How big is the improvement in details, stage, and other characteristics? is it a significant improvement, noticeable improvement, or barely noticeable improvement? I'm 2 weeks away from ordering S17 pro or another 6 from ordering mjolnir and I'm not completely sure whether doubling the price and extra month of wait are justified. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any direct comparison except "Yep it's better" and I cannot listen to either of them before ordering
will be very grateful for any comparison

@Currawong , maybe you can shed some light on my dilemma, please.
well, the SE is better in the s17 pro, they are generally more detailed and warm, but the balanced output its a way better in mjolnir 3, better dynamic, more micro and macro details, with he1000 stealth and the track stronger than you of steven universe the treble is more detailed with the mjolnir 3.

My english is pretty bad

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #2,439 of 2,949
Can anyone give me their thoughts on how the HE1000 Stealth performs with the MJ3? I currently have a BF2 + Jot 2.
It’s great. The MJ3 bass is awesome. The Jot 2 can be a bit dry and analytical. Good on treble but weak on bass. However, you’d find a better upgrade if you get a better DAC. The Jot 2 sounds a lot better than you think. The Bifrost is holding it back.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #2,440 of 2,949
It’s great. The MJ3 bass is awesome. The Jot 2 can be a bit dry and analytical. Good on treble but weak on bass. However, you’d find a better upgrade if you get a better DAC. The Jot 2 sounds a lot better than you think. The Bifrost is holding it back.
I second this approach, I have both BF2/Jot2 and Yggy/MJ3... going to Yggy was a HUGE upgrade in comparison to replacing my old Jot2 with MJ3 on BF2.

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #2,441 of 2,949
I have a bifrost uber with 4490 upgrade and unison USB.
I just started to combine my listening equipment and bought this dac November last year as a temporary solution. The idea was to budget denafrips ares once I get an amp, but I can stretch to something like Yggy (or its successor by the time when I will become ready) or Merason Frerot (it has nice esthetics and, as far as I understood from @GeraltDHowl posts, it pairs nicely with MJ3).
headphones are focal celestee and senh hd6xx
Currently using Moondrop Bravo Ocean amp that was landed by my colleague

So, I am still not sure that I completely understand where I'm getting myself into. And I am not sure whether it is an adequate path. As I've mentioned the idea to swap 30-dollar headphones and bose QC35 for something that can make music more enjoyable came to me not so long ago. I hope for some advice or direction. The aim is to buy amp and settle with it for next 10 years or more.

I basically agree with the posts above this one. If you got a MJ3, it may not be dramatically greater, since you'll be limited by your DAC, but you'll really notice when you get the Yggdrasil later on.

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #2,442 of 2,949
I basically agree with the posts above this one. If you got a MJ3, it may not be dramatically greater, since you'll be limited by your DAC, but you'll really notice when you get the Yggdrasil later on.

Have you upgraded to the MIB yet? It's supposed to synergize incredibly well with the MJ3

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #2,443 of 2,949
Have you upgraded to the MIB yet? It's supposed to synergize incredibly well with the MJ3
Not yet. I plan to eventually though. I don't want to do it while I'm in the midst of reviewing portable gear as I'll be too distracted!

Apr 12, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #2,444 of 2,949
The Bifrost2/64 was my introduction to Schiit. I enjoy the BF with MJ3 with Urd and LCD2. As I have no other DAC to compare, nor any other head amp, what I hear from Mjolnir 3 leaves me not lacking or wanting...yet planning MIB before April is done.

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #2,445 of 2,949
The Bifrost2/64 was my introduction to Schiit. I enjoy the BF with MJ3 with Urd and LCD2. As I have no other DAC to compare, nor any other head amp, what I hear from Mjolnir 3 leaves me not lacking or wanting...yet planning MIB before April is done.

It's gonna be a pretty noticeable leap to MIB for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back