Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #901 of 2,777
Question for any other MJ3 owners:

I have only my DAC plugged in through the XLR inputs on the MJ3, but I just switched to the RCA input on the amp to test for noise (without anything plugged into the amp's RCA inputs). To my surprise, when I turned the knob all the way up, I was able to hear the music coming from the XLR inputs while the switch was set to RCA. It's like the music is bleeding through the amps SE input channel from the XLR.

Someone else wanna try this, and/or explain why this could happen? Just connect only an XLR source, set the MJ3 to RCA input and turn up the knob with music playing through XLR.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #902 of 2,777
During the Schitt Livestream yesterday Jason Stoddard said that sales of the MJ3 are good, and it should be available for some extended period of time, but they are going to continue to manufacture them in smaller size batches. I would guess "250". Consequently, as he said, the availability of the MJ3 will be on and off, but it will continue. The example he gave was that they don't want to make 10 000 of them, sell 9000, and then be stuck with 1000.

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #903 of 2,777
MJ3 now ships soon from the European distributor. December 27-29 ! Ordered mine yesterday and during some email communication they told me they were expecting to have some stock left after shipping the pre-orders..

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #904 of 2,777
This definitely sounds like the exciting amp of the year. Well this and the Aune S17 Pro. Would love to hear comparison which I’m sure a lot of people are waiting for. Are there any comparisons between the 2 amps sound quality yet?

I know one way to go is just get the more expensive product and call it a day. But it is almost twice the price.

Dec 22, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #905 of 2,777
During the Schitt Livestream yesterday Jason Stoddard said that sales of the MJ3 are good, and it should be available for some extended period of time, but they are going to continue to manufacture them in smaller size batches. I would guess "250". Consequently, as he said, the availability of the MJ3 will be on and off, but it will continue. The example he gave was that they don't want to make 10 000 of them, sell 9000, and then be stuck with 1000.
He Referenced the Valhalla 2 as an example...

Leo

Dec 22, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #906 of 2,777
This definitely sounds like the exciting amp of the year. Well this and the Aune S17 Pro. Would love to hear comparison which I’m sure a lot of people are waiting for. Are there any comparisons between the 2 amps sound quality yet?

I know one way to go is just get the more expensive product and call it a day. But it is almost twice the price.
The S17 Pro is excellent sounding, and i can’t imagine the MJ3 being that much better if any better at all. Still, the S17 has some technical issues like overheating and volume curve. I recieved two units and experienced both versions of volume curve and i can honestly say im not a fan of either. The newer version is certainly better than the older version but it still sucks in my opinion. There’s also warranty to factor in. Still hoping my MJ3 sounds better when it arrives but I’ll be happy even if it’s just as good. Just hoping it isn’t worse sounding.

Dec 22, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #907 of 2,777
for me, zero global feedback is a dream come true. Is that worth 2x $? Again, for me yes.
(I'm also looking at a speaker amp with zero-global-feedback. It's 3x what a pair of Tyr is :-O ).

Dec 22, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #908 of 2,777
Who in their right mind is going to spend $$$ on a cosmetic silver lid just because it wasn't an option on the first run MJ3?!!

Me, that's who :)

I did a thing today.

New lid day!!
new-lid-day.jpg

It ain't black on the underside ...
underside-is-not-black.jpg

Presto, chango, swapperoo!
mj3-swapperoo.jpg

Meet the updated stack (Gungnir A1 MB, MJ3 clad in silver, FV clad in silver)
gungnir-mj3-fv-stack.jpg

Does it sound better? ... Nope!
Does it look better? ... To me, very much!!
Does it make me happy? ... Oh hell yeah!!!
:beerchug:

Dec 22, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #909 of 2,777
Who in their right mind is going to spend $$$ on a cosmetic silver lid just because it wasn't an option on the first run MJ3?!!

I did a thing today.

New lid day!!
new-lid-day.jpg

mj3-swapperoo.jpg

gungnir-mj3-fv-stack.jpg

Matching THAT stack is definitely worth it for sure! Very nice!

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #910 of 2,777

I did a thing today.

New lid day!!
new-lid-day.jpg

mj3-swapperoo.jpg

gungnir-mj3-fv-stack.jpg

Definitely sounds better because you're happier looking at it!

omg, so gorgeous.

How hard was the swap? 5min? 10min? 15min with a loss of multiple locks of hair?

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #911 of 2,777

I did a thing today.

New lid day!!
new-lid-day.jpg

mj3-swapperoo.jpg

gungnir-mj3-fv-stack.jpg

How much does the lid cost? Looking to get it for my Freya + if reasonable

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #912 of 2,777
Definitely sounds better because you're happier looking at it!

omg, so gorgeous.

How hard was the swap? 5min? 10min? 15min with a loss of multiple locks of hair?
The swap itself isn't difficult, there is a set screw in the volume knob, a nut and washer on the threaded pot, and 4 keyhole attachment points between the lid and the frame.
The most taxing part is having patience while nudging the lid loose from the frame since it takes a little bit of force using something that won't scratch the lid when applying pressure to it.
Other than that, so long as you are careful to keep everything lined up, it's a pretty straightforward task.

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #913 of 2,777
How much does the lid cost? Looking to get it for my Freya + if reasonable
Reasonable is relative I suppose ... the lid was $231.69 + shipping, so roughly $250 to my door.
Being a first round MJ3 owner and wanting a silver MJ3, my options were either buy a silver MJ3 and resell my original black one in the classifieds, or order the lid.
It did take a few emails back and forth before they agreed to do the silver lid separately, but I suspect that is mostly due to the available stock of the silver MJ3 lids not being constant since it's not a standard item. I would think the Freya+ lid is a much easier item to get ahold of.

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #914 of 2,777
I'm loving my Ragnarok 2 so much on my HEKS that I'm thinking about moving to the Mjolnir 3.
Does anyone have experience comparing these two amplifiers?

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #915 of 2,777

I did a thing today.

New lid day!!
new-lid-day.jpg

mj3-swapperoo.jpg

gungnir-mj3-fv-stack.jpg

Nice work. IMO, the MJ3 looks fab in silver. As much as having to fork out an extra 100 ducats for the change of clothes annoys, it's the one I went for,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back