Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 25, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #918 of 2,881
Beat you to this post a few days ago ! Ordered on thursday, hoping to listen to it this year!

Happy holidays!

Dec 25, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #920 of 2,881
Dec 25, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #921 of 2,881
It’s ridiculous but I plugged the FD7 into the Mj3 and it absolutely took those IEMs to another level. Luckily the FD7 is 50 ohms so it didn’t get blown out by the amp’s power. And they did scale up quite a bit.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #922 of 2,881
Has anyone compared the Mjolnir 3 to any other headphone amps?

Dec 25, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #923 of 2,881
Is this intended to be ironic? This thread is full of comparisons and there are tons elsewhere.

Dec 25, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #924 of 2,881

Here, this was a post a while ago of @Menkau-ra comparing it to a Rag2 if it helps you.

I was able to test Mj3 vs Rag2 at the Schiitmeet NC. To me Mj3 was superior: fuller sound, more holographic soundstage, better punch and low end. I was using He6se V2 to compare.

Dec 25, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #925 of 2,881
Is this intended to be ironic? This thread is full of comparisons and there are tons elsewhere.
Why would that be ironic?
I just asked a legitimate question in regards to the performance of the MJ3 vs anything else.

Dec 25, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #927 of 2,881
Because your question can be answered in a couple clicks or a search in this very thread…
I did and didn't get the answer I wanted.
So, I sent a new question out there to anyone with a fresh opinion.

Dec 25, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #928 of 2,881
So… been a little quiet on Head-fi for a while. Life got in the way. Some unfortunate tragedies for the family this year, but, in the midst of these tragedies, an unexpected change that enables myself and my partner to own our small acreage away from the big city, FREE and CLEAR from the banks, just from selling our city home for 3x what we paid for it 15 years ago (unimaginable to me) and now some downtime to enjoy my cans again.

Then I see the MJ3 come to a realization, and my finger just hit the order button. I think my GSX MKII is getting nervous, as I am a sucker for true class A with chokes and zero feedback, takes me back to my ‘90’s car audio SQ days, a “small” two channel for my front speakers, that takes up the size of my trunk to produce 35 watts rms x2.

Jan 15 can’t come soon enough for me. And I will not cancel this order, even if delayed, as this is something I’ve wanted since getting into headphones, so, while I clean my rifles, with my GSX MKII powering my ZMF cans, listening to my cd rips and hi rez library, I will be patient, as life has taught me that anything can happen in a split second, best to sip the glass, tip yer hat, and watch the sun go down, while still above ground.

Dec 26, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #929 of 2,881
Dec 26, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #930 of 2,881
Anyone with a GSX-Mini that has made the jump to a MJ3? I'm wondering if it's more of a side grade than anything.
I found it to be a significant upgrade in resolution, going to the MJ3.
Can anyone tell me how the Mjolnir 3 pairs with the Gustard R26? I'm using modded HD800 and ZMF Atticus.

Edit: ordered in silver. we'll see how they pair together. my guess is very well.

in related news, Jotunheim 2 for sale.
It'll probably make you want to go down the road of tweaks with the R26, such as an I2S transport, or network optical isolation, etc. as it'll resolve the differences.
When I saw Currawong lament the MJ3 was just better than every solid state he owns/has auditioned that sealed it for me.
It has definitely made me more resistant to blowing money on a Luxman P750u.
Question for any other MJ3 owners:

I have only my DAC plugged in through the XLR inputs on the MJ3, but I just switched to the RCA input on the amp to test for noise (without anything plugged into the amp's RCA inputs). To my surprise, when I turned the knob all the way up, I was able to hear the music coming from the XLR inputs while the switch was set to RCA. It's like the music is bleeding through the amps SE input channel from the XLR.

Someone else wanna try this, and/or explain why this could happen? Just connect only an XLR source, set the MJ3 to RCA input and turn up the knob with music playing through XLR.
This is normal. Amps usually have a bit of leak of this kind. The only way to prevent it is if the amp shorts the non-connected inputs, which some DACs don't like, such as the Yggy.
The swap itself isn't difficult, there is a set screw in the volume knob, a nut and washer on the threaded pot, and 4 keyhole attachment points between the lid and the frame.
The most taxing part is having patience while nudging the lid loose from the frame since it takes a little bit of force using something that won't scratch the lid when applying pressure to it.
Other than that, so long as you are careful to keep everything lined up, it's a pretty straightforward task.
After removing the volume knob, nut and washer, if pulling the case towards you doesn't get the catches to release, put the MJ3 on the table or floor -- basically where it wont slip, facing away from you. Put your hands on the lid, the back of your palms over the edge. Give it a solid, sharp shove forward. This will push the lid off its catches. They can be pretty tight.
Getting the LEDs lined up while lining up the catches as well is the real challenge.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back