Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #946 of 2,996
First impressions of Caldera + MJ3 + A2 are quite good. Maybe bassier A2 is not the perfect fit but works well enough. Pixies' Bossanova sounds intoxicating. Push-pull appears necessary. Skipping feedback. Despite ASR, I think the tuning makes a lot of sense.
I have the same setup (Yggy A2/MJ3) and really liked the synergy with the Caldera while I had a loaner set for a week. I used the same settings on the MJ3 that I use with my Meze Elite (XLR in/out, high gain, push-pull, no feedback). I've gone back and forth between using low gain and high gain. I am starting to doubt if I can tell the difference.

I do switch from Push-Pull to Single-Ended Class A when using my ZMF Auteur, though it sounds great in Push-Pull as well.

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #947 of 2,996
The GSX mk2 was one of the amps I had on hand when I received my MJ3. After about a month of owning MJ3 Id not even turned the Mk2 on. Mj3 is just much more resolving, dynamic, and organic sounding. It sounds fantastic on Sennheiser dynamics so I'm sure your ZMF's will be a real treat.
Now I’m even more excited to get the MJ3, I have a few Senn’s as well, I’ll just cross my fingers that it ships on the Jan 15th.

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #949 of 2,996
Any Tungsten owners on here? Curious how the MJ3 will drive those as I'm eyeing a pair of SS on the next drop.

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #950 of 2,996
Hey guys! My MJ3 should arrive in the next few days. I'll be sitting relatively far from it to comfortably reach the volume knob. What is the best approach to adding remote volume controls to my chain without sacrificing SQ? I'm thinking about adding a Freya+ but I have zero experience with preamps. My chain is PC USB -> Bifrost 2/64 -> MJ3 -> HE1000 Stealth
A good quality preamp is the way to go to add volume control with remote if your DAC or amp doesn't support it.

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #951 of 2,996
A good quality preamp is the way to go to add volume control with remote if your DAC or amp doesn't support it.
That's what I was thinking, thank you for the reply! Would you recommend the Freya+, and if so, with tubes or the SS magic stuff?

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #952 of 2,996
Help me out guys, my MJ3 will arive in a few days and all I have as a DAC is my old CA DacMagic Plus and my Mojo2. I guess the Mojo2 will do for a bit but I want to upgrade.
In EU the Biofrost 2/64 retails for close to 1000€. The Chord Qutest is close to 1.5k. Those are the two options I have thrown an eye on but I suspet that the Qutest will sound to soft and that the Biofrost 2/64 will hold back my MJ3 in terms of resolution. Anyone who owns both or any other suggestions? Not lookin for some off the shelf chip stuff.

Edit: I am using an HE1000 stealth as my (for now) endgame headphone.
Since you already have Mojo 2 then anything close to $1k will be side grade only. Once you move close to 2K territory, will you find the true upgrade. You can get Yaggdrasil LIM, Audial S5 but both are close to $2K, Holo Audio is coming up with Cyan 2 which is closer to 1K but not sure if it will be an upgrade on Mojo, Metrum DACs like Pavane, Onyx from used market if you like NOS sound and a different presentation to that of Mojo

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #953 of 2,996
That's what I was thinking, thank you for the reply! Would you recommend the Freya+, and if so, with tubes or the SS magic stuff?
I enjoy Freya + in tube mode for the coloration. Tube rolling is also a charm. However, I don't use it to control volume in my setup but just as a tube buffer.
There are other options as well for price below 1K from Hattor etc
https://www.hattor.com/mini_preamp.html

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #954 of 2,996
Hey guys! My MJ3 should arrive in the next few days. I'll be sitting relatively far from it to comfortably reach the volume knob. What is the best approach to adding remote volume controls to my chain without sacrificing SQ? I'm thinking about adding a Freya+ but I have zero experience with preamps. My chain is PC USB -> Bifrost 2/64 -> MJ3 -> HE1000 Stealth
I ended up going with Kara to solve this exact problem (though it did help me route things back and forth between my speaker system/Skoll via XLRs as well)

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #955 of 2,996
I ended up going with Kara to solve this exact problem (though it did help me route things back and forth between my speaker system/Skoll via XLRs as well)
Awesome thanks for the reply! How is the volume on the mj3, you set it you would listen to it at max comfortable level, then control the rest with kara?

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #956 of 2,996
Is the pot ALPS?
No remote control, correct?

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #957 of 2,996
Awesome thanks for the reply! How is the volume on the mj3, you set it you would listen to it at max comfortable level, then control the rest with kara?
Yup, I set MJ3 to the loudest likely level I'll (normally) want and then use Kara to reduce it from there in bypass mode, so it's only attenuating the signal and nothing more.

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #958 of 2,996
Help me out guys, my MJ3 will arive in a few days and all I have as a DAC is my old CA DacMagic Plus and my Mojo2...
I think you should wait and see how/which of your DACs does justice with MJ3 and your 'phones.

Then report back here and we can help you identify a new DAC that addresses any shortcomings you perceive in your current DACs. Preferably within your budget but, hey!, no promises. Sorry for your wallet :)

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #959 of 2,996
Help me out guys, my MJ3 will arive in a few days and all I have as a DAC is my old CA DacMagic Plus and my Mojo2. I guess the Mojo2 will do for a bit but I want to upgrade.
In EU the Biofrost 2/64 retails for close to 1000€. The Chord Qutest is close to 1.5k. Those are the two options I have thrown an eye on but I suspet that the Qutest will sound to soft and that the Biofrost 2/64 will hold back my MJ3 in terms of resolution. Anyone who owns both or any other suggestions? Not lookin for some off the shelf chip stuff.

Edit: I am using an HE1000 stealth as my (for now) endgame headphone.
I've been through the whole Chord range over the years from an original Mojo to a Dave. The Mojo 2 is a good bit of kit, and yeah, to make moving on worth it you're looking at a Qutest at least or maybe a Hugo 2. The MJ3 is so good it sounds great with my Hugo TT2 and Dave, so as far as you can go. What I can't do is compare the Chord range to other Dacs, so in the 1.5 to 2k range there may well be far better choices but I feel that's the area you want to move to to really make moving from the Mojo 2 worth it. Ultimately it's what sound you prefer, but Mojo 2 is great price / value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back