Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #886 of 2,954
Why did you return it?

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #887 of 2,954
Why did you return it?
1. 4.4mm Jack was defective. I am guessing it wasn't soldered in proper or etc.
2. Overheating of unit. It couldn't handle it's best sounding mode at room temp of 76F for duration... and the fact even in it's 50mA mode, operating temp was 2c below their 100mA cutoff was no go for me (assuming they designed 69c internal as their max safe temp)... as my summer room temp will go up to 82F.
Quite honestly though, it did sound amazing. I am hoping for same or better sound from MJ3. Original intention was to audition both and decide, but with the #2 issue I mentioned above, I decided I will just stick to MJ3 route. It being somewhat local (if you can say 2.5hour drive is local) in case I need some support, etc.

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #888 of 2,954
Oh, I just returned Aune S17Pro. So the hurt for wait is even worse in my case :p Not much I can do as for speeding things up. (I've been at place where they were at at one point in my life on delay of supplier, etc).
The S17 is pretty amazing at its price point although it has its bugs to sort out. The MJ3 just had to come ruin everything lol “16lbs” True Class A” ohh enough, we get it already…Schiit and their s*** lol

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #889 of 2,954
I too received the same email this morning:

"Hello,\nI’m sorry, but we have been experiencing a lot of unpredictable part delays which makes it extremely difficult to provide more accurate shipping dates. We are doing everything we can to ship orders as soon as possible. I am sorry for the inconvenience. As of right now, we are projected to start shipping Mjolnir 3\'s on January 15th. Again, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this delay may have caused you.\n-Team Schiit"

Just for reference for all the people waiting on the fences...
  • Ordered on 11/27
    (site said, ships on 3-5 days)

• Emailed Schiit on 12/7 for update, recv'd following reply same day:
    "I'm sorry for the delay. Backorder Mjolnir3 orders will begin to ship by next week. Once your order is ready to ship an email with tracking information will be sent."
    (same day site was updated to say orders would be shipped in 1-2 weeks)

• Email received on 12/20 stating shipments are now expected to start 1/15 ('ish ?)
So, I suspect that Schiit has an unexpected hit on their hands and supply chain issues coupled with the Holidays are causing them grief.

I am going to do my best to remain patient. I admit I was tempted to cancel my order this morning out of frustration. But after having my 1st cup of coffee I thought better of it. I realized this is a 1st world problem. And, this was intended to be a Christmas present to myself. So what if I have to wait.

I think back to growing up in the 70's and 80's when it was common for mail order items to take 6-8 weeks standard to be shipped. Even for things that were in stock. The other day I ordered a VR headset on my GF's Prime account and received it the same day! What a time to be alive.

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #890 of 2,954
I too received the same email this morning:

I think back to growing up in the 70's and 80's when it was common for mail order items to take 6-8 weeks standard to be shipped. Even for things that were in stock. The other day I ordered a VR headset on my GF's Prime account and received it the same day! What a time to be alive.

Same boat here for sure. Actually, based on what I heard, I thought about it for a second and realized, I probably will need to spend double to get the sound people are describing... Second was, yes it is part of Christmas gift for self... :p. The only bad thing is, I wanted to A/B between Diana MR and E3 with this AMP but oh well, I will have to make decision based on lesser of amp and figure out from there which one I prefer. First world problem as you said.

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #891 of 2,954
Same boat here for sure. Actually, based on what I heard, I thought about it for a second and realized, I probably will need to spend double to get the sound people are describing...

Triple, if what I've been reading is correct, and that's if you buy used. :smile_phones:

:beerchug:
JC

Dec 20, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #895 of 2,954
I got an email like that. i remember thinking I'd see it anyday after placing the order. then that email put things into perspective. Schiit states they source the transformers from northern California. That in itself makes me happy, but the facility in Willits is small (maybe 34 employee) relative to the larger business that is MCI. MCI has overseas partners that most likely produce the bulk of product. Willits is a good hour + drive and across the county border from me, and I'm pleased that MCI exists and provides jobs in Mendocino county, and if in fact Schiit sources their 'boutique' transformers, made in Willits, and that that might cause end product 'delay'...I'm good with that delay.
The Mjolnir3 and the Urd are definitely worth my wait/delay time.

Dec 20, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #896 of 2,954
For those waiting, stay strong. Quite a treat is waiting for you on the other side.

IMG_1389.jpg

Dec 20, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #897 of 2,954
Two things:

For those of you waiting and wondering about shipping, maybe join the online Schittrmeet tomorrow and ask about it?

I hooked my turntable up to the MJ3 (MMF5.1, Mani+) and managed to listen to 2 (yes 2!) songs before the better half called me away. (She cheated and used the phone! Can you believe it?!)

Those 2 songs sound pretty sweet! I didn't even make it to the song I put the disc on to listen to ;-( (Heartbeat City by The Cars, if you must know).

Dec 21, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #898 of 2,954
For those waiting, stay strong. Quite a treat is waiting for you on the other side.

IMG_1389.jpg
Are you using USB out from Caldigit docking station ? Just curious. TS3 had optical but I guess this one is TS4

Dec 21, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #899 of 2,954
Are you using USB out from Caldigit docking station ? Just curious. TS3 had optical but I guess this one is TS4
Yes just usb out of the hub for now until I secure a decent ddC to try the AES input

Dec 21, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #900 of 2,954
I had a month away from my MJ3 and was doing all my listening using my other two amps, a Cayin iHA-6 and SW51+. I was hardly roughing it, but I will say even my first listen tonight with the MJ3 again reminded me why this is such a special amp. It really is a substantial step up in sound from my other amps, with more clarity, control and resolution. The secret sauce is that the MJ3 accomplishes all this while remaining so smooth and non-fatiguing.

Paired with my Yggy A2 and Meze Elite w/ Angled Alcantara pads, the MJ3 has allowed me to stop searching for a better amp. I don’t need to hassle with tubes anymore or wonder how much better it gets at the mega $$$$ level of equipment, which I can’t afford anyway. The MJ3 is superb enough to keep me happy indefinitely.

I hope all of you with outstanding orders for an MJ3 remain patient. This amp really is special and worth the wait!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back