Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #481 of 2,798
As a new SchiitHead, having injected the Freya+ and Bifrost2/64 into an old school speaker/amp/transport system, and on the Friday13, placed an order for MJ3...I'm looking for the can...i have no headfones
I’m using my 6xx and Focal Celestee with the Mjolnir and loving them both but am planning on adding either Arya Organic, 1000se or something else, now that I have this amp I definitely want some planars. Bon chance.

Oct 16, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #483 of 2,798
Since the MJ3 uses an Alps RK27114 instead of the 128 step relay attenuator, can anyone who owns the MJ3 give their opinion on the volume control?
Is the channel matching an issue? Is there any imbalance at low levels?
I would also love to hear more about a comparison with my reference, the GS-X Mini.

Oct 16, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #484 of 2,798
I highly doubt whether you will be able to hear any imbalance.. Alps are among the best pots out there, and Jason has been clear that he thinks this is one of their best, IIRC it's custom made for Schiit.
Apart from that, I think in most cases the 'listening position' is between 11 and 13 o'clock, so nowhere near the starting point where channel imbalance might be noticable..
I don't own an MJ3 (yet) but never heard anyone complain..

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #485 of 2,798
I am thinking about getting the MJ3 or Ragnarok. It sound like the MJ would be better for both headphone and preamp duties. I am just wondering in degrees how hot does it get. Don't have many places to put this on my desk. Not sure if it's too hot to place it in front of my monitor or me. If not I will have to place it on top of my Rel Sub beneath the desk. Also, does anyone use a switched outlet to turn theirs on and off?

Oct 16, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #486 of 2,798
I am thinking about getting the MJ3 or Ragnarok. It sound like the MJ would be better for both headphone and preamp duties. I am just wondering in degrees how hot does it get. Don't have many places to put this on my desk. Not sure if it's too hot to place it in front of my monitor or me. If not I will have to place it on top of my Rel Sub beneath the desk. Also, does anyone use a switched outlet to turn theirs on and off?
Do you find your monitor is too hot? MJ3 at 50W generates about as much heat as a monitor or laptop. The heat is concentrated at the heatsinks.

I've checked with Schiit on other gear, and they've always said it was fine to switch at the outlet instead of the inbuilt switch.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #487 of 2,798
I just ordered my MJ3 .. almost 1.5k€ gone.
I am excited but also slightly worried. Have never bought such expensive audio gear without trying it before .. hope I like it and my HE1000 does to.

Anyone from germany or EU in general who has already got an estimated time of arrival? Still says preorder on the Shiit EU shop so I dont know what to expect.

Oct 16, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #488 of 2,798
I am excited but also slightly worried. Have never bought such expensive audio gear without trying it before .. hope I like it and my HE1000 does to.

Anyone from germany or EU in general who has already got an estimated time of arrival? Still says preorder on the Shiit EU shop so I dont know what to expect.
Well good that you've preordered. I just preordered also, without seeing/trying it. I have no idea on when it will actually ship, and I'm in California. I'm confidently and patiently waiting. I'll see it when I see it. Best!

Oct 16, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #489 of 2,798

Well sir, I can only say you are walking my path. Schiit-EU told me they will deliver MJ3's in the 230V version. I haven't ordered yet because I have to wait for my 13th month payment from my boss. Can't afford it yet.. Just praying they will still be available then.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the both of us..

Oct 16, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #490 of 2,798
Some nice impressions amongst this thread.

Though I’m still not sure I wanna blow $1299 plus shipping to UK, import duty, taxes etc on MJ3 with LCD-3. All without hearing and without UK warranty.

I’m not confident (yet) that Gumby & MJ3 would be a better match than Yggdrasil OG/A2 & Rag 2.

My feeling currently is that having heard Yggy MIL with Rag 2 … Gumby and Rag 2 isn’t as good at detail or sub bass qty/depth/impact.

Another audio related dilemma to ponder - a nice problem to have though 😂

Oct 16, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #491 of 2,798
Well sir, I can only say you are walking my path. Schiit-EU told me they will deliver MJ3's in the 230V version. I haven't ordered yet because I have to wait for my 13th month payment from my boss. Can't afford it yet.. Just praying they will still be available then.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the both of us..
I will keep you updated once I get some response. Already payed so I am hoping for alot of feedback from Shiit ..

Oct 17, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #492 of 2,798

I'm loving mjolnir3 with susvara so I can imagine he1000 will sound great off of it and be a great match performance wise. After the first day listening to the mj3 and comparing it to my other amps I was surprised just how good it is. Yggy og a2 -> mj3 is a great synergy.

Oct 17, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #494 of 2,798
Silver ordered.

Anyone; front to back feet spacing? As in, minimum shelf width needed?

Thanks
From Schiits site…
Size: 16” x 8” x 2”

Leave room for interconnects.

Oct 17, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #495 of 2,798
From Schiits site…
Size: 16” x 8” x 2”

Leave room for interconnects.
Thanks for the response, but I do not think that the feet are eight (8) inches apart.
My old Mjolnir 2 "U" case has just under six (6) inches front to back (feet inclusive) for the feet spacing. Thus a 6" shelf will support the 8" amp.
I am asking for a spec not given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back