Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #76 of 2,798
Too early to give impressions, but the MJ3 has finally landed!!

mj3.jpg

The past two days have been stressful in that FedEx "delivered" the MJ3 on Monday to my office building, but not my office suite ... The signature which I believe to be fake was simply signed as "TTT" (3x capital T's), and the package had been AWOL until this morning.
I finally located it this morning next to our building's outgoing FedEx dropbox on the ground floor.

tracking.png

Thanking my lucky stars that I happened across it when I did because I was at wits end with FedEx's lack of accountability or willingness to explain how a package with a clearly labeled suite number was handled.

Aug 23, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #77 of 2,798

mj3.jpg

The past two days have been stressful in that FedEx "delivered" the MJ3 on Monday to my office building, but not my office suite ... The signature which I believe to be fake was simply signed as "TTT" (3x capital T's), and the package had been AWOL until this morning.
I finally located it this morning next to our building's outgoing FedEx dropbox on the ground floor.

tracking.png

Thanking my lucky stars that I happened across it when I did because I was at wits end with FedEx's lack of accountability or willingness to explain how a package with a clearly labeled suite number was handled.
Glad it's finally in your hands. Both FedEx and UPS have occasionally taken pictures of the box sitting at my front door. I just wish they would consistently do that. That doesn't address why they had someone sign for something not at the final destination. However, if your business is anything like ours, our receiving department gets dozens of boxes a day and then sorts them out after the delivery person has left. They do end up with packages not addressed to anybody in the building on occasion which they just leave for the carrier to pick back up at the end of the day.

Aug 23, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #78 of 2,798
Yeah, your situation is worse IMO.... Fedex sucks... I deal with them 4 days a week as a part of my FTJ.... Hope you have started contacting FedEx with a cc to orders@schiit.com to see what the issue is.
Dude, I used to really like FedEx, but they suck now. Have for a few years. They dropped off my pair of Tyrs across the street while I was away on business. My wife had to haul a pair of Tyr's across the neighborhood. I was pissed. To be fair, I work for a competitor of FedEx, so I may have bias, but I think there are better shippers out there. I wonder why Schiit doesn't use UPS? I feel like they used to years ago. I wonder if UPS got too expensive? I've been pondering finding our small/medium business logistics sales department and putting Schiit on their radar to contact. I won't get a commission or anything, but I've got a Yggy out for delivery right now and I feel like I can't leave the house because I don't trust FedEx. I don't want to look self serving for recommending it though. It's not Schiit's fault that FedEx sucks, but I feel like we deserve better than FedEx. Once again, 5 years ago I think they were great.

Aug 23, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #79 of 2,798
Glad it's finally in your hands. Both FedEx and UPS have occasionally taken pictures of the box sitting at my front door. I just wish they would consistently do that. That doesn't address why they had someone sign for something not at the final destination. However, if your business is anything like ours, our receiving department gets dozens of boxes a day and then sorts them out after the delivery person has left. They do end up with packages not addressed to anybody in the building on occasion which they just leave for the carrier to pick back up at the end of the day.
Thank you!! :)

The signage at our building is pretty explicit - and is denoted at every entryway ... new driver perhaps?
signage.png

The shipping label was clear, contained my company name and the proper suite number ... so who knows.
I spent a good amount of time on Tuesday going through the building's tenant list with the main office trying to deduce who "TTT" might have been, but to no avail.

Just happy to have my blood pressure back to normal levels again, and my ears being filled by the sweet (albeit a bit forward in the vocal range) sounds of the MJ3

Aug 23, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #80 of 2,798
Just happy to have my . . . ears being filled by the sweet (albeit a bit forward in the vocal range) sounds of the MJ3

Were those impressions of a forward vocal range when using the amp in single ended or push-pull mode? And with which source and headphones?

Aug 23, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #81 of 2,798
Were those impressions of a forward vocal range when using the amp in single ended or push-pull mode? And with which source and headphones?
Single-ended, overall feedback off, with HE1000se <-- this is going to be my day while I acclimate to things

Yesterday I was using a Mjolnir 2 with these tubes - so my "forward" comment is based on the MJ2 as a my baseline (same headphones) - the vocal region forwardness isn't a negative, but it's what immediately stood out to me

The MJ3 runs warm on the top of the chassis, and downright hot on the heatsinks and the bottom - a "hot" that is uncomfortable to touch after a few seconds, but still having plenty of time to remove appendages prior to a burn forming

The whole unit is also physically oscillating, it isn't audible (though my office is not completely silent, even with the door closed), but you can feel it vibrating when touching the chassis.
I have my gear individually set on HVAC rubber/cork 2-inch pads, so the vibrations are not conveyed between components, but it's definitely got some motion to it.

[edit] source chain info:

Qobuz --unison-usb--> Yggy OG A2 --xlr--> Freya S (passive) --xlr--> MJ3 --balanced--> HE1000se

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #82 of 2,798
I appreciate all of the comparisons and impressions so far. I'm still on the fence about ordering one of these though. I'm still trying to get a feel for how the M3 sounds. Is it warm or thick? Is it pretty transparent or is it musical, etc. If any of you have thoughts about that it would be great. Also, I would have it on a desk beneath my monitor on an arm. Do you think the radiating heat would be an issue?

Aug 23, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #83 of 2,798
Single-ended, overall feedback off, with HE1000se <-- this is going to be my day while I acclimate to things

Yesterday I was using a Mjolnir 2 with these tubes - so my "forward" comment is based on the MJ2 as a my baseline (same headphones) - the vocal region forwardness isn't a negative, but it's what immediately stood out to me

The MJ3 runs warm on the top of the chassis, and downright hot on the heatsinks and the bottom - a "hot" that is uncomfortable to touch after a few seconds, but still having plenty of time to remove appendages prior to a burn forming

The whole unit is also physically oscillating, it isn't audible (though my office is not completely silent, even with the door closed), but you can feel it vibrating when touching the chassis.
I have my gear individually set on HVAC rubber/cork 2-inch pads, so the vibrations are not conveyed between components, but it's definitely got some motion to it.

[edit] source chain info:

Qobuz --unison-usb--> Yggy OG A2 --xlr--> Freya S (passive) --xlr--> MJ3 --balanced--> HE1000se

Vibrating?!? The transformer? That has what, a 100VA transformer? It’s not that big.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #84 of 2,798
Vibrating?!? The transformer? That has what, a 100VA transformer? It’s not what big.
Just got mine and plugged it in, definitely vibrating, but that has been mentioned a couple times. Not violently or audibly but its a little hum. First impressions of the amp are incredible though.

Aug 23, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #85 of 2,798
Yay! Tuesday is the day for my 7w belated birthday present to myself!

Now, that looks much bigger than I thought. Looks Yggy size, not Gumby size. Trick of the photo?
Schiit Mjolnir 3 gives that burning sensation to the truly worthy :)

Aug 23, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #86 of 2,798

Now, that looks much bigger than I thought. Looks Yggy size, not Gumby size. Trick of the photo?

A very Happy Birthday to you!! 🎂

The MJ3 is definitely Gumby sized, same width as the Yggy, but not nearly as deep or tall (or heavy).
My Gumby is in my 2-channel system at the moment, but will get it feeding the MJ3 at some point ... eventually

Aug 23, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #87 of 2,798

… as in the television series Kung Fu, pick up Mjolnir 3 by the insides of the forearms as does Grasshopper to acquire a master’s branding … 😖

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #88 of 2,798
Yay! Tuesday is the day for my 7w** belated birthday present to myself!

** ? watts or weeks ? 😜

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #89 of 2,798
… as in the television series Kung Fu, pick up Mjolnir 3 by the insides of the forearms to acquire a master’s branding … 😖
Iron Fist? Can someone fotochop Schiit logo's onto Danny Rand's arms & chest?

Aug 23, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #90 of 2,798

Users who are viewing this thread

Back