Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Apr 20, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #6,646 of 6,930
Apr 20, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #6,648 of 6,930
I was assured you wern't posting here anymore, was a major condition in me being back here. 😉
Well, that just goes to show I'm not the only one you can't trust.

Good to see you again anyway. Mostly. 😂

Apr 20, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #6,649 of 6,930
And the winners are, Roman410 and Bcowan!

Yep, there's a wall switch that only powers half of the duplex outlet. The wierd thing is, with the switch off, it's showing approx. 30 volts. When I come into the room, I normally hit all 3 wall switches on the one plate. One wall outlet is totally switched, I have my floor lamp on it, didn't leave my iphone charger on it because it's switched. But I wasn't expecting this set-up. Since power to one side was always on, I just figured it was on the other. Those times without power (or at least some of them, I did have a bad power switch, metered it out to prove it), I probably only switched several instead of all on the wall plate (very dark room, have to have the fan/light on except for sleep. I have experienced switched wall plates before, but I have never seen half a duplex outlet done this way. Maybe that's why they make it splitable! Dooooh!!!

Learn something new everyday!

Edit: There's a reason I adopted my handle!!!:yum:
From my experience, that showing 30V on outlet when switch it is off tell me some thing it is wrong! Immediately stop use that duplex outlet for safety reasons!
First I will test outlet with outlet tester for correct wiring. Second will replace outlet ( the hospital grade it is OK ), and wired for permanent power on both sides of duplex, to eliminate the switch. If you do not know how to do I will hire electrician.

Apr 21, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #6,651 of 6,930
When I had the cap-mod Mjolnir 2 (a/k/a ‘Ksorolnir’), I used Tungsram E88CC, Brimar CV455 KB/FB (Footscray) + adapters, and RFT ECC81 (foil getter) + adapters.

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #6,652 of 6,930
Rft ecc81's + adapters, Amperex 6922's, Brimar CV4033's/CV455 + adapters, And I'm playing with converting some 6021's to 6922 footprint, hopefully to sound similar to some mini-Mullards I like. 1st test run not successful!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #6,653 of 6,930
Rft ecc81's + adapters, Amperex 6922's, Brimar CV4033's/CV455 + adapters, And I'm playing with converting some 6021's to 6922 footprint, hopefully to sound similar to some mini-Mullards I like. 1st test run not successful!
What did not work?

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #6,654 of 6,930
One tube had no audio, have to take it back apart and recheck wiring. That or it was a defective tube, more likey that I made a mistake.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #6,655 of 6,930
Ok, I've got a bit of a addiction going. Just went online and ordered another $188 of tubes! Some cool ones, too! I know, I know, the first signs that you have a problerm are justifying your behavior!!!

Anyway, Phillips 7062/E180CC SQ's, GE 6829's 5 stars, and Ken-Rad 6414W's. All matched, a little taller than norm 12at's. And yes, I know I still have to solder up/fix those 6021's!

For those of you purchasing Schiits 'Fahrvergnugen', man, allocating funds for spares could break a man!

Signing off for tonight, Ya'll have great tommorrow!

PS: and yes I know it's named a Folkvangr!!!

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #6,656 of 6,930
Ok, I've got a bit of a addiction going. Just went online and ordered another $188 of tubes! Some cool ones, too! I know, I know, the first signs that you have a problerm are justifying your behavior!!!

Anyway, Phillips 7062/E180CC SQ's, GE 6829's 5 stars, and Ken-Rad 6414W's. All matched, a little taller than norm 12at's. And yes, I know I still have to solder up/fix those 6021's!

For those of you purchasing Schiits 'Fahrvergnugen', man, allocating funds for spares could break a man!

Only $188?!….that is just an installment payment on A REAL TUBE ! 🤪🤣….on the spending voyage for tubes, you are not yet out of port…

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #6,657 of 6,930

I stashed up (ridiculously) on box plate square getter Foton 6N6P’s quite a while ago when Schiit spilled the beans on the tube complement for the Folksvagen. They were around $10 each then. Kinda like WAY more now. The early hoarder gets the tube, right? :smile:

Apr 22, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #6,658 of 6,930
I stashed up (ridiculously) on box plate square getter Foton 6N6P’s quite a while ago when Schiit spilled the beans on the tube complement for the Folksvagen. They were around $10 each then. Kinda like WAY more now. The early hoarder gets the tube, right? :smile:
…Jason Stoddard might have to rename the new flagship h/p/a the………Folkcowengr !! 🤣🤣

Apr 25, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #6,659 of 6,930
Hey Gang!

Made another tube order, this time for 2 set's of Raytheon 6414's. Had a question. What's your opinion/advise on paying for tube matching/balanced sections? I had been paying for it when available, but in some cases the distributer may not have many tube sets to choose from, and all you might actually be getting are the values printed for the tubes/sections. In many cases, the fee's can double the price of the tubes. This last order, instead of getting matched/balanced, I just ordered twice the tubes. Some shops list how many they have (who knows how often their listings are refreshed), while others just give you a qty you want to order. I assume if only 4 or less are listed, it wouldn't make much sense to order these services. What's your take on it?

Thanks, and have a great day!

Apr 25, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #6,660 of 6,930
Hmmm.... Kinda suprised no one's taken this up.

Let me expound further, in hopes of sparking some reply's. I imagine many Mjolnir owners, including myself, are not 'High End" tube shoppers. I'm not likely to ever pay much more than $150 for a set of tubes, and if I did, it would be once in a blue moon. My choice of the Mjolnir for amplification was to have some of the tube magic without the large expense for supporting larger tube sets. I've been down the full tube chain in high end years ago, had a penchant for Conrad Johnson gear. Amazing sound, I know the alure!!! But I felt, for me, tube output stages (8 -6550's on my last amp) was far to pricey, and output tubes were'nt particularly long lived.I instead changed over to tube pre-amp and mosfet amp for amplification.

Anyway, back to my point. For a set of tubes on the upper end of that scale, I would definitley pay for matching and balanced sections. However, I also feel that as we approach that range and above, the quantity available from a partcular supplier goes down drastically, meaning there will actually be less chances of getting a premium sample from that group, as the size of the group is smaller. Holy Grail tubes are rare in part because they've been collected to rarity, if they were ever common to begin with. Another factor is just how resolving is your system. I can hear a difference between tubes with an unmodded Mjolnir, but I'm sure those differences are less than I would hear on a top of the line tube headphone amp. What I heard thru my unmodded Mjonir wouldn't have necessarily prompted me to buy in the $100 - $200 bracket. Modded, I think I'm hearing a lot more detail, and that could bring me to justify outlaying the extra for matching/balance fee's. CJ was a firm beliver in matched sets, but I went much longer periods than i preferred before I changed out tubes because of the expense, sometimes changing only when prompted by blown fuses or a red plate (that one required repair as well)!.

So again, what's your take on this, especially considering use in a Mjolnir. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back