Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Apr 16, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #6,631 of 6,930
Anyone know if it is possible to mod the Mjolnir 2 to use a step attenuator for volume control?

Apr 16, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #6,632 of 6,930
Anyone know if it is possible to mod the Mjolnir 2 to use a step attenuator for volume control?
Beyond my skill level, I don't know how you would do that with the chassis being as short as it is, nor how to get a PC mount attenuator converted to off board. Sorry!

Apr 19, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #6,633 of 6,930
Hi All!

I'm a bit dis-heartened tonight. Power problem is back, and at this point I can't turn it in to Schiit for repair beacuse of the mods. And I just can't figure out this freakin' intermittent problem. Whatever it is, nothing seems to power up once it starts. Works for 2 or so days, then totally quits. I may be making an assumption, but it seems if I take it apart as far as getting case off of it, then reassemble, it works (worked three times, 4th switch became inop). Tried unplugging for 2 hrs and then replugging in, nada. Changed fuses, even though the fuse had continuity thru it. Tried a tap test all along case, IEC outlet, etc., nada. Power switch problem seems to have been unrelated, or else I got a bad switch (not likely).

Will try taking it back apart tommorrow, right now a little disgusted and not in the mood.

Signing off for now. Have a great night!

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #6,634 of 6,930
Wow, so I'm really embarrased! Just for giggles, took my very nice power chord to my amp out of the loop, used a known good cheapy (IEC chord included with a computer PS) and plugged it in, and it works! Opened up the fancy chord ,ground on one side was pulled out from under screw terminal. Not calling it fixed yet, giving it a while, but she's back up. I sat there and told myself it couldn't be that power chord, look how beefy it is, and it's new. I should know that assumptions are killers!!!

Anyway, happily listening!!!

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #6,635 of 6,930
Hi All!

The plot thickens! Was listening tonight, decided to play a little RDR2 with headphones on, left to eat dinner, and when I came back amp was off! Opened it up, fuse was good, stuck my meter in the nice, beefy power chord I have, measured less than 30 Volts!?! Started to plug in a different power chord, and thought "let me check the wall outlet the chord was plugged into". Now this is a duplex outlet, with one side powering my John Risch DIY power conditioner, with the DAC, the computer, and a few peripherals hooked up there, and the Mjolnir on the other side. Sure enough, the outlet the Mjolnir was hooked up to measured less than 30 volts. I have never heard of a common wired duplex outlet losing power to one side! Just nuts!!! And I never experienced this problem before I moved, my home outlet was long ago replaced with a Furutech GTX-D. Wow, don't see that everyday! Anyway, temp plugging everything into the Risch power conditioner, would replace the wall outlet, but this apt is temp until renovations are done, then I move back.

Back to listening, have a great night!!!

Edit: Come to think of it, I might replace with a hospital grade jack after all. If one side of the duplex failed, who knows if the other side might.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #6,636 of 6,930
Hi All!

The plot thickens! Was listening tonight, decided to play a little RDR2 with headphones on, left to eat dinner, and when I came back amp was off! Opened it up, fuse was good, stuck my meter in the nice, beefy power chord I have, measured less than 30 Volts!?! Started to plug in a different power chord, and thought "let me check the wall outlet the chord was plugged into". Now this is a duplex outlet, with one side powering my John Risch DIY power conditioner, with the DAC, the computer, and a few peripherals hooked up there, and the Mjolnir on the other side. Sure enough, the outlet the Mjolnir was hooked up to measured less than 30 volts. I have never heard of a common wired duplex outlet losing power to one side! Just nuts!!! And I never experienced this problem before I moved, my home outlet was long ago replaced with a Furutech GTX-D. Wow, don't see that everyday! Anyway, temp plugging everything into the Risch power conditioner, would replace the wall outlet, but this apt is temp until renovations are done, then I move back.

Back to listening, have a great night!!!

Edit: Come to think of it, I might replace with a hospital grade jack after all. If one side of the duplex failed, who knows if the other side might.
Wow! I have never heard of that happening either. Is that outlet switched, by chance? Or one of the two sockets in it switched? Possible also that the two sockets are separated internally and fed by two different circuits. And if so, could be a loose wire on one of them which would explain the intermittent problem. ???

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #6,637 of 6,930
I think both sides are switched together, but not individually. The other possibility is a painter painted over outlet, and a plug inserted on top of it pushed that paint inside. I’ve seen where you can use diag cutters to split a duplex, but they start out as joined by metal strips integral to the outlet. I’m no electrician, so I’m sure there’s plenty I haven’t seen, but still seems weird.

Apr 20, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #6,639 of 6,930
Apr 20, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #6,641 of 6,930
Been away from audio for health reasons and really easy to stay away from Headfi.
Hope you are feeling better and healthy. Glad to have you back.

Apr 20, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #6,642 of 6,930
Apr 20, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #6,643 of 6,930
I think both sides are switched together, but not individually. The other possibility is a painter painted over outlet, and a plug inserted on top of it pushed that paint inside. I’ve seen where you can use diag cutters to split a duplex, but they start out as joined by metal strips integral to the outlet. I’m no electrician, so I’m sure there’s plenty I haven’t seen, but still seems weird.
Another possibility it is, half the outlet it is operated with wall switch.
On the old constructions, some rooms especially the bedrooms do not have ceiling light, only the wall switch can operated some of the outlets, when for light you use stand or table light, and turn on and off light with wall switch.
In this case that metal strips can be cutted off on hot site of outlet and outlet can be hooked up to two separate circuits.
Half of the outlet can have power permanently another half you can turn off power with wall switch.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #6,644 of 6,930
And the winners are, Roman410 and Bcowan!

Yep, there's a wall switch that only powers half of the duplex outlet. The wierd thing is, with the switch off, it's showing approx. 30 volts. When I come into the room, I normally hit all 3 wall switches on the one plate. One wall outlet is totally switched, I have my floor lamp on it, didn't leave my iphone charger on it because it's switched. But I wasn't expecting this set-up. Since power to one side was always on, I just figured it was on the other. Those times without power (or at least some of them, I did have a bad power switch, metered it out to prove it), I probably only switched several instead of all on the wall plate (very dark room, have to have the fan/light on except for sleep. I have experienced switched wall plates before, but I have never seen half a duplex outlet done this way. Maybe that's why they make it splitable! Dooooh!!!

Learn something new everyday!

Edit: There's a reason I adopted my handle!!!:yum:

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #6,645 of 6,930
And the winners are, Roman410 and Bcowan!

Yep, there's a wall switch that only powers half of the duplex outlet. The wierd thing is, with the switch off, it's showing approx. 30 volts. When I come into the room, I normally hit all 3 wall switches on the one plate. One wall outlet is totally switched, I have my floor lamp on it, didn't leave my iphone charger on it because it's switched. But I wasn't expecting this set-up. Since power to one side was always on, I just figured it was on the other. Those times without power (or at least some of them, I did have a bad power switch, metered it out to prove it), I probably only switched several instead of all on the wall plate (very dark room, have to have the fan/light on except for sleep. I have experienced switched wall plates before, but I have never seen half a duplex outlet done this way. Maybe that's why they make it splitable! Dooooh!!!

Learn something new everyday!

Edit: There's a reason I adopted my handle!!!:yum:
If you're showing 30v with the switch off, then the switch itself is likely bad or miswired. Are you measuuring the voltage between hot and neutral, or between hot and earth ground?

I have one outlet in my living room that is wired the same way -- one socket of the outlet is switched, and the other socket isn't. Both are on the same branch circuit though. Around here, they mount the outlet upside down (earth ground at top, slots at the bottom) to indicate a switched outlet. Don't know if that's a local code or just a local convention, but it's handy for knowing when an outlet (or part of an outlet) is switched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back