Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Feb 9, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #6,496 of 6,930
Picture comparison: Langrex gold pin ECC81 and RFT ECC81 (foil getter). The Langrex micas are shaped differently from the RFT micas. RFT does not use the word ‘premium’. FWIW, I have never seen a gold pin RFT ECC81 🤷🏻‍♂️.
B0ABE5E7-CB63-4F9B-9372-640144CE99DF.jpeg
63F3AACE-3F67-48B8-97B0-1720C5078D1C.jpeg
392A9FD8-6B45-4133-80A9-E804DF9F0718.jpeg

Feb 9, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #6,497 of 6,930
Here's a "Premium" E81CC with a Mullard label, that looks identical to the Langrex tube.

IMG_2809.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #6,498 of 6,930
Not sure if this helps, but here are the set of tubes that i was told were premium RFT ECC81. These are HALO getters. Oval ring connected to a single post.
https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/...mium-rft-german-gold-pin-nos-valve-tube-lc39/

These do have an amazing top end with lots of sparkle and air. The mids are gooey. Its the low end that I think can be improved. I also have a pair (unmatched) of RFT ecc81 that i put together from individual ebay purchases. These look similar to the tubes above but these have a flat foil/disc getter. These have almost the exact same sound signature of the langrex ones but these have thicker low end and overall much warmer sound.

Now typically i was very happy with the langrex tubes because they were new/ nos testing and they do sound excellent. However, i recently had my MJ2 cap modded which only increased the transparency and overall tonality of the amp. On top of that, i also use my LCD-5 and LCD XC 2021 version, both of which are not really bass heavy and these sound kinda thin with the langrex tubes. I also own a set of brimar cv455s as well as mullar ecc81 nos tubes that i m gonna try and see if that can help thicken the sound and make it a little more warm/dark.

If anyone has any suggestion regarding tubes (of any price value) that might help me with a little more bass, i would really appreciate it.

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #6,499 of 6,930
Cardas Clear or even the Cardas Clear Light hp cables have the effect you're looking for on my setup. Some Mullard version (I don't have any myself) might be a tube choice that gets you closer to that sound as well.
Upon further review, I guess I do have a pair of Mullards (the supposed Premium RFT ECC81 gold pins from Langrex) lol. And besides the sparkly highs and liquid midrange, on my rig the bottom end beats most tubes I have.'

Edit: On well recorded stuff the cymbal nuance accuracy of these tubes is, I think, the best I've heard.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #6,500 of 6,930
Not sure if this helps, but here are the set of tubes that i was told were premium RFT ECC81. These are HALO getters. Oval ring connected to a single post.
https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/...mium-rft-german-gold-pin-nos-valve-tube-lc39/

These do have an amazing top end with lots of sparkle and air. The mids are gooey. Its the low end that I think can be improved. I also have a pair (unmatched) of RFT ecc81 that i put together from individual ebay purchases. These look similar to the tubes above but these have a flat foil/disc getter. These have almost the exact same sound signature of the langrex ones but these have thicker low end and overall much warmer sound.

Now typically i was very happy with the langrex tubes because they were new/ nos testing and they do sound excellent. However, i recently had my MJ2 cap modded which only increased the transparency and overall tonality of the amp. On top of that, i also use my LCD-5 and LCD XC 2021 version, both of which are not really bass heavy and these sound kinda thin with the langrex tubes. I also own a set of brimar cv455s as well as mullar ecc81 nos tubes that i m gonna try and see if that can help thicken the sound and make it a little more warm/dark.

If anyone has any suggestion regarding tubes (of any price value) that might help me with a little more bass, i would really appreciate it.
Congratulation to your modded MJ2. First, same like vacuum tubes, new capacitors on your MJ2 need burn in. They need minimum 80-120h, before fully opened up.. That can be reason why your system it is sounding too thin.

For most thicker, warmer sounding tubes my recommendation is Western Electric JW2c51/394A. You need adapters for use on MJ2!
Most prominent bass from my collection have Lorenz Stuttgart PCC88 tubes.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #6,501 of 6,930
im enjoying the rft flat foil disc getter tubes more than the double post halo getters from langrex.

Feb 13, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #6,502 of 6,930
However, after much a/b ing last night, i am currently satisfied with the brimar CV455, especially for the heavenly 3d soundstage those are famous for. The brimars also match really well with the lcd-5 by adding just enough low end boost. Im gonna burn these in for a while and try to get used to the sound.

Feb 13, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #6,503 of 6,930
However, after much a/b ing last night, i am currently satisfied with the brimar CV455, especially for the heavenly 3d soundstage those are famous for. The brimars also match really well with the lcd-5 by adding just enough low end boost. Im gonna burn these in for a while and try to get used to the sound.
First-world problems being what they are and all. 🤣🤣🤣

Feb 13, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #6,504 of 6,930
Feb 13, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #6,505 of 6,930
…such torture 😖🤣🎼

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #6,506 of 6,930
Hey Everyone! Quick update, finally got the ZMF cables redone for balanced operation. Used FuruTech rhodium connectors so, as you would expect, some serious burn in is needed (rhodium out of the gate is pretty harsh in the treble). They look good and have good strain relief, made from Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable, so should be a keeper.

In other news, decided to give a set of these a try ( https://pulsetubestore.com/search?q=CV3986 ), the mini-Mullard CV3986 w/risers. Should be in in a week or so. Someone on these forums, I believe a Valhalla owner, raves about them. Without the bases, tubes are relatively cheap, so want to evaluate for future purchases.

I'm moving out over the weekend for a few months to facilitate the renovation, so I'll be re-setting up the system. Good time to clean contacts, route cables, etc.

Ya'll have a great weekend!!!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #6,507 of 6,930
Wow, gang! Guess what just arrived 1 & 1/2 weeks early! The mini-Mullards! And guess who just finished re-setting up their system! C'est moi!!! I'm like a kid at Christmas. Wish me luck, I might not get much sleep this weekend (late night sessions).

Have a great night/mornin!

Feb 20, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #6,508 of 6,930
Hi All! Been a tough weekend, but finally fully moved out and ready for construction/renovation. But I have gotten some listening in, about a couple of hours per night, but I was sooo sleepy, so couldn’t do more than that.

I can say that the mini-Mullards are highly recommended with one caveat. If you don’t EQ and your not too bass heavy already look elsewhere.I had to boost from 2000 down by about 2.5 db from where I was with my Verite’s, just a scootch more at 32Hz. But I am just loving the results! These tubes haven’t been nearly burned in, nor my cables, and already beat the Brimars in several areas.They are detail monsters, make me want to mod my amp right now to see what they’re capable of. Reminds me a little of the air between instruments I used to get from my Conrad Johnson PV9 preamp thru Apogee Stages, not quite that good but very noticeable. You can tell the noise floor is nearly non-existent, as you can here deep into the fade out of a song. Voice , boosted as described, is full and meaty. Separation between instruments was excellent on a Boston symphony version of Ravels’ Bolero. Steely Dan was jamming, and I found myself wanting to listen to albums instead of tracks. Listened to Aja, Counting Crows Recovering the Satellites, and the Wallflowers Bringing Down the Horse, as well as a little War. Great fun.

I ended up buying another set of them from Pulse tube store, as well as 2 pr each of flying lead cv3986’s from Phillips, RCA, Jan, and another GB pair. Will have to source bases, but the prices on these are right, best stock up now.

I’m thinking hard on the Mods for the Mjolnir. I think I may have a way to mod the case to fit it all, but it will tank any resell value And it will definitely not be svelt.

Anyway, hope to have more news for ya’ll later. Have a great night!

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #6,509 of 6,930
Hi All!

I'm hoping Ksorota or someone else who's modded Mjolnir2 might help. In your modding of the Mjolnir, might you have taken some internal board pics? All pics I see online only show view of board from LH front. Might you share other views? I will eventually get to taking some myself, but it will be a few weeks fefore I can get to it. They might give me a better idea of what I'm in store for with modding. Thanks either way for the consideration!

Edit: Wow, after re-reading this, it sounds like I’m calling him out!?! My apologies, was at work and needed to keep it brief. Sorry, will edit!!!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #6,510 of 6,930
Hi All!

I'm hoping Ksorota or someone else who's modded Mjolnir2 might help. In your modding of the Mjolnir, might you have taken some internal board pics? All pics I see online only show view of board from LH front. Might you share other views? I will eventually get to taking some myself, but it will be a few weeks fefore I can get to it. They might give me a better idea of what I'm in store for with modding. Thanks either way for the consideration!

Edit: Wow, after re-reading this, it sounds like I’m calling him out!?! My apologies, was at work and needed to keep it brief. Sorry, will edit!!!
I'm sure @ksorota will chime in at some point. Here's a pic of mine after the mod if it helps.
20220101_090308.jpg

Before pic
image (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back