Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Sep 1, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #5,926 of 6,930
Initial impression of Amperex ECC88 Vs CV4033 is that the ECC88 is warmer, there is less space between the instruments, and it's not as detailed.

Niggling thought is that I may want to go back to the Brimar asap.

Though I think that will mean giving up the lower end warmth of the Amperex. The Brimar is more neutral.

I'll have to give it more time than the hour I've had thus far.

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #5,927 of 6,930
1629222313369.png
I have used these RFT rebranded for Tesla and love them. Right up near the top for me. The only thing with them is the top end is a hint softer than some others, which may or may not be a good thing for you depending on your system. But I found the bass on them to hit as hard as anything I have heard and offer a nice strong rumble. Super clear sounding midrange. Incredibly clear actually. I really like mine. Notice the build has the 2 large support rods on each side of the getter. Different than other RFT's I have seen. Got mine at Tubemonger years ago.

Well, it's been confirmed that another "Grail" level tube has been discovered! For those with the itch to roll another tube to see how much more lifelike your system can sound, I highly recommend checking out the RFT ECC81 Folded Plates with Foil Getter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265288187061?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=4ab0ba5aacc64626a1dad27e629728e7&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&sd=265288187061&itm=265288187061&pmt=1&noa=1&pg=2380057&brand=RFT&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:2d1dc492-0b1f-11ec-8515-4a105610fa62|parentrq:a14ee37117b0aaf4c9540d5afff0f6ae|iid:1

This tube has insane bass texture, slam and control. The mids are super transparent with quite possibly the best vocals I have ever heard, and the highs sparkle and soar. The dynamics and punch are insane and you can feel the music. The stage is massive and the sound seems to fill the entire room and the headphones just seem to disappear. This tube has that magical effect of making it feel like you are there with the musicians at the venue. The refinement and control this tube has over the entire frequency range is incredibly captivating. I really can't believe how amazing this tube sounds, how readily available they are and how cheap they go for! Compared to the Tungsram ECC82 Black Plate (my number 1), they are very close and similar in how they have slamming bass, super transparent mids and soaring highs, with a massive and highly immersive stage. Where they differ is in the vocals with the RFT being a bit more forward and perhaps magical. I am still trying to decide which tube I like more, but it is very close and I would be happy with either one. :grin:
Wes S your feelings on your RFT are eerily similar to my feelings on my different build RFT. The extended high end of yours piques my interest. I ordered a couple of the ones you have for my Lyr to compare with mine. This will be fun. Thanks for the tip!

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #5,928 of 6,930
Wes S your feelings on your RFT are eerily similar to my feelings on my different build RFT. The extended high end of yours piques my interest. I ordered a couple of the ones you have for my Lyr to compare with mine. This will be fun. Thanks for the tip!
Nice! I look forward to hearing how they compare. I have a couple more versions of the earlier RFT's on the way as well, and I am looking forward to comparing them.

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #5,929 of 6,930
Initial impression of Amperex ECC88 Vs CV4033 is that the ECC88 is warmer, there is less space between the instruments, and it's not as detailed.

Niggling thought is that I may want to go back to the Brimar asap.

Though I think that will mean giving up the lower end warmth of the Amperex. The Brimar is more neutral.

I'll have to give it more time than the hour I've had thus far.
I've just rolled in Amperex Orange Globes.

Immediately I can tell an improvement in detail, and the music isn't as congested as the ECC88.

I wonder if the ECC88 tubes are past their best or if the synergy for whatever reason isn't there with LCD-4. It sounded like there was clipping.

The Orange Globes sound great. This is the first time I've given them a proper listen and I'm glad I did. This might be my new favourite tube.

Need more time with it too get to know it more.

It's warm, transparent, bass is full, and there's a slight softness to it that is hard to describe. Very musical, vocals are gorgeous.

I'm gonna give the Brimar CV4033s a rest and leave the Orange Globes in for a few weeks.

Sep 1, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #5,930 of 6,930
I have a matched pair of Tungsram 6922 tubes.

They are excellent. Dan Clark recommended them to me 5 years or so ago as being great for EDM.
And I use a pair in my big rig DAC. Never had any urge to swap them out as they play nicely there.

Sep 1, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #5,931 of 6,930
Those from Herleen are my favorite in that family as well. Killer tubes.
I was all in on Herleen for a long time back in the early rolling days, as was Sammy and TK if I remember correctly. A pair of Philips Miniwatt E188CC's were my #1 for quite awhile. Great sounding tubes. Nothing like that Herleen midrange.

Sep 1, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #5,932 of 6,930
I was all in on Herleen for a long time back in the early rolling days, as was Sammy and TK if I remember correctly. A pair of Philips Miniwatt E188CC's were my #1 for quite awhile. Great sounding tubes. Nothing like that Herleen midrange.
That raises the interesting (?) hypothetical scenario. Your ideal tube would have:
~ the low bass of [ x ]
~ the mid bass of [ x ]
~ the mid range of [ x ]
~ the lower treble of [ x ]
~ the upper treble of [ x ]
~ the dynamic range of [ x ]
~ the ambience recovery of [ x ]
~ the imaging/soundstage of [ x ]…

~ Have at it!

Sep 2, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #5,933 of 6,930
That raises the interesting (?) hypothetical scenario. Your ideal tube would have:
~ the low bass of [ x ]
~ the mid bass of [ x ]
~ the mid range of [ x ]

~ Have at it!
x = RFT Folded Plate Foil Getter ECC81 or Tungsram Black Welded Plate ECC82

I would take either one of those. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #5,934 of 6,930
~ the low bass of [ x ]
~ the mid bass of [ x ]
~ the mid range of [ x ]

~ Have at it!
A tube/bottle/valve is a lot like a 30 band equalizer, compander, exciter with exactly one knob.

CYK (Choose Your Knob.)

Sep 2, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #5,935 of 6,930
A tube/bottle/valve is a lot like a 30 band equalizer, compander, exciter with exactly one knob.

CYK (Choose Your Knob.)
Love it! So true, and the special tubes (RFT or Tungsram) get all 30 bands just right for me.

Sep 2, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #5,936 of 6,930
Sep 2, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #5,937 of 6,930
Funny you should mention Langrex, looks like they have some as well can't see the getters though...
https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/ecc81-rft-german-nos-boxed-valve-tube/
I can tell it's a version from the late 60's, and they most likely are the same as these. With earlier being better I would pass on both of these.

Screenshot_20210902-055336_Chrome.jpg

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #5,938 of 6,930
I can tell it's a version from the late 60's, and they most likely are the same as these. With earlier being better I would pass on both of these.

Screenshot_20210902-055336_Chrome.jpg
Thanks, I will steer clear of them then. I messaged the seller on eBay and they said they would try and find a matched pair for me so fingers crossed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back