Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Aug 15, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #5,731 of 6,930
Aug 15, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #5,733 of 6,930
My dac has 10 or 12 screws holding the top cover. I reduced that to 4 screws on top and still a pain to roll in tubes.
On my Lite DAC-60 I keep cover unscrewed. The real pain for me to roll in tubes it is, I have to remove dac from my audio rack and drain caps before touching the tubes.
Also the height of the dac it is too low to roll tubes with tube savers or adapters😪

Aug 15, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #5,734 of 6,930
On my Lite DAC-60 I keep cover unscrewed. The real pain for me to roll in tubes it is, I have to remove dac from my audio rack and drain caps before touching the tubes.
Also the height of the dac it is too low to roll tubes with tube savers or adapters😪
Got the Lite Dac 68, same height problem. I can roll long bottle 6922 and other ecc88 variants. I can use the mini 2c51 adapter with WE 396A and similar size variants.

Aug 15, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #5,735 of 6,930
Not putting all the screws back in causes my OCD to flare up. Thank goodness for gear with exposed tubes. :stuck_out_tongue:

Aug 15, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #5,736 of 6,930
FYI - The bad and noisy Tungsram Grey Plate that I had this morning, came from this same listing and seller. https://www.ebay.com/itm/194137564099

I would avoid that one if it were me, since there are no returns. Learn from my mistake. :wink:
Had a bad experience with this seller myself. Bought a pair of Telefunken ECC801s. Hated the sound sig. 1 tube did not have the Telefunken diamond and I had to return the pair and they sent me a different pair which I sold immediately after I received the replacement. Their Telefunken paint was not the easily rubbed off paint. The construction was definitely Telefunken and the buyer was happy. I'd ask them for replacement or a refund. Sellers don't like negative feedback and most (not all) will work with you on that.

Aug 15, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #5,737 of 6,930
Got the Lite Dac 68, same height problem. I can roll long bottle 6922 and other ecc88 variants. I can use the mini 2c51 adapter with WE 396A and similar size variants.
Same experience, still have couple pairs of Tungsol,CBS 2c51 and WE 396A tubes on my tube drawer.
Still burning my second pair of Brimar CV455 tubes what I planing use on my DAC 60. If I will settle down with this tubes will have to keep cover of permanently or I can add tube savers and drill holes to the cover to expose tubes to bring look close to Empirical Audio Spoiler DAC.:relaxed:.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #5,738 of 6,930
Back to the discussion of Black plates vs. Grey plates, I have been very interested in this after this weekend's findings with my Tungsram's, and I think this article is interesting, and seems to have some valid points on the subject. https://tubemaze.info/tubes-black-gray-plates/

I don't think one is plate is really better than the other, but they clearly do have an effect on sound.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #5,739 of 6,930
Well, these were not empty boxes…Mjolnir / Valhalla, here we come…
A bit of a detour in getting to Mjolnir / Valhalla. They are currently starring in a trio performance with a Mullard GZ34 (in Woo WA6, 1st generation). Very special, indeed! For less than $100/pair (ex taxes), incroyable! Wes, you did it again! **

[** high praise indeed: Miles Davis said the same about producer Teo Macero on his contributions to (A Tribute To) Jack Johnson]

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #5,740 of 6,930
A bit of a detour in getting to Mjolnir / Valhalla. They are currently starring in a trio performance with a Mullard GZ34 (in Woo WA6, 1st generation). Very special, indeed! For less than $100/pair (ex taxes), incroyable! Wes, you did it again! **

[** high praise indeed: Miles Davis said the same about producer Teo Macero on his contributions to (A Tribute To) Jack Johnson]
Just throwing this out there, but I can't take credit for that one, as that tube actually looks like an RFT (German) made tube, not a Tungsram (Hungary) made tube. :wink: I have seen a lot of RFT rebrands with ECC81 tubes from 70's lately, and that tube sure looks like one to me.

Speaking of RFT. . .stay tuned for some reviews of an earlier version (early 60's) in the near future. :smile:

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #5,741 of 6,930
Just throwing this out there, but I can't take credit for that one, as that tube actually looks like an RFT (German) made tube, not a Tungsram (Hungary) made tube. :wink: I have seen a lot of RFT rebrands with ECC81 tubes from 70's lately, and that tube sure looks like one to me.

Speaking of RFT. . .stay tuned for some reviews of an earlier version (early 60's) in the near future. :smile:
RFT rebrand or original, these are wonderful!….don’t mess with the Wes…😜👊

Aug 17, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #5,742 of 6,930

Interested in your impressions on the RFT, never heard anything positive about them.

Aug 17, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #5,743 of 6,930
1629222313369.png

I have used these RFT rebranded for Tesla and love them. Right up near the top for me. The only thing with them is the top end is a hint softer than some others, which may or may not be a good thing for you depending on your system. But I found the bass on them to hit as hard as anything I have heard and offer a nice strong rumble. Super clear sounding midrange. Incredibly clear actually. I really like mine. Notice the build has the 2 large support rods on each side of the getter. Different than other RFT's I have seen. Got mine at Tubemonger years ago.

Aug 17, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #5,744 of 6,930
RFT rebrand or original, these are wonderful!….don’t mess with the Wes…😜👊
Good to know those sound wonderful! I have an early one on the way, and can't wait to hear it.

I have used these RFT rebranded for Tesla and love them. Right up near the top for me. The only thing with them is the top end is a hint softer than some others, which may or may not be a good thing for you depending on your system. But I found the bass on them to hit as hard as anything I have heard and offer a nice strong rumble. Super clear sounding midrange. Incredibly clear actually. I really like mine. Notice the build has the 2 large support rods on each side of the getter. Different than other RFT's I have seen. Got mine at Tubemonger years ago.
Nice!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back