Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Aug 12, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #5,671 of 6,930
@Wes S -- I'm just busting your chops. Hopefully you are not taking me seriously. Keep doing what you do. It is appreciated and I'll capitulate at some point in time just like I have previously! :smirk:

You have a fabulous amp and quite a few stellar HPs which very likely reveal these differences. I've hit the end of the line as I just do not think my office rig VH2 and HD6XX setup can offer any more than I get with the Raytheons and Footscrays that you turned me on to. My primary HP rig is 6SN7 and 6080/6AS7G-based and I use Hifiman Aryas with it. That's where I'll likely spend my focus in the future unless I upgrade this rig. Others with a more revealing setup will certainly be eager to hear what other tubes you find and benefit greatly. I, however, will have to live vicariously through your tube adventures!! :D
It's all good bro and that all makes total sense. It's been a long week at work and it seems I forgot how to take a joke. :beerchug:

Aug 12, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #5,672 of 6,930
It's all good bro and that all makes total sense. It's been a long week at work joke and it seems I forgot how to take a joke make a long week at work.:beerchug:
FTFY…[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021]

Aug 12, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #5,673 of 6,930
Aug 12, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #5,676 of 6,930
Welp, I managed to get the MJ2 to turn on and stay on. I currently have it on it's own power strip to shut it off. Will probably have to stay that way till I can find someone more handy with a soldering iron than me to replace it.
Good news though, my Brimar CV4033's from Pulse just showed up. Like what I'm hearing so far with no burn in. Hope to break in this weekend.

Aug 12, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #5,677 of 6,930
Loving Gjallarhorn with Gumby and MJ2 this evening! The Horn is getting better and better and I've noticed a jump in SQ again this evening.

Best DAC, amp and HP combo I've heard to date.

Anyone curious about Gjallarhorn should jump right in, they're absolutely brilliant.
That last sentence is for you, Guidostrunk ! And the GHs have the same earspeaker termination as the Clear…

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #5,678 of 6,930
I am back at it with another tube rolling marathon today, and I do plan to share my findings after I have rolled them all. Also, there are a few tubes that I just got (2 of them are readily available at Langrex) and some of my top tubes that I have had for a while in the mix, so this should be fun to compare them all.

Today's participants are from left to right.

1. Tungsram ECC81 Welded Plate O Getter
2. CBS 7728 1 Hole Plate O Getter
3. 6201 Hamburg PWTMDG
4. Tungsram ECC82 Black Welded Plate Disc Getter
5. Brimar CV491 Footscray D Getter
6. Raytheon 7730 Long Plate Angled Square Getter
7. RT (Radiotechnique France) 12AU7WA Square Getter
8. Lorenz Stuttgart ECC82 Long Plate Square Getter

20210813_080348.jpg

Happy Rolling and Listening! :o2smile:

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #5,679 of 6,930
That last sentence is for you, Guidostrunk ! And the GHs have the same earspeaker termination as the Clear…
Selling those Horns! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #5,680 of 6,930
I am back at it with another tube rolling marathon today, and I do plan to share my findings after I have rolled them all. Also, there are a few tubes that I just got (2 of them are readily available at Langrex) and some of my top tubes that I have had for a while in the mix, so this should be fun to compare them all.

3. 6201 Hamburg PWTMDG

20210813_080348.jpg

You can send whichever last place pairs comes in last to me instead of throwing them away...Ill even cover shipping! :wink:

Have fun

Aug 13, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #5,681 of 6,930

3. 6201 Hamburg PWTMDG

20210813_080348.jpg

There goes that damned Texas electric grid AGAIN…

Aug 13, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #5,682 of 6,930
We'll be fine. He's not putting them all in at the same time. :smirk:

Aug 13, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #5,683 of 6,930
Aug 13, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #5,684 of 6,930
Good point. I'm sure he'll be turning off the air conditioner to reduce the load on our fragile power grid. @Wes S is committed to contributing to the tube-rolling community -- even at great personal expense and discomfort. :D

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #5,685 of 6,930
~ As for turning hpa on and turning hpa off…I have been hpa rolling….(West Penn Power is fine…far from TX…😜)
~ The hpa involved have been the Linear Tube Audio MZ3, Schiit Mjolnir II, Schiit Valhalla II, Woo WA6, HeadAmp GSX-mini, and Violectric V280. The headphones used have been the Gjallarhorn JM Edition and the ZMF Auteur.
~ The Mjolnir II, with the ksorota capmods, (aka Ksorolnir) is a fantastic hpa itself. Its many positive attributes are familiar to owners and are coveted by non-owners: holographic imaging, height/depth of soundstage, wide dynamics, etc.
~ One attribute of the Mjolnir II that has captivated me, and that is present in my other tube-based hpa, is this (bear with me please).
~ In reproducing the air between instruments and voices, the Mjolnir II does not ‘electrically energise’ that air. The best solid-state hpa that I have heard ‘electrify’ that air to some extent. In real life, that air is ‘electrically inert’ while sound moves through it. While being a tube/ss hybrid, the Mjolnir II captures this essence of fine tube hpa - thereby significantly increasing its realism.
~ It has taken me this hpa rotation to appreciate the contribution of this attribute to my listening pleasure. As Wes would say, “long live Ksorolnir”!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back