Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Aug 10, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #5,627 of 6,930
Hmmm. Haven't been down the fan rolling rabbit hole yet. What do you think @jonathan c and @Wes S ? Should we explore fans?
Now for the absolutely guaranteed to get you in trouble response:

Yes. While you listen, have your wife / significant partner stand to the side of the gear rack and cool the amp by waving a large palm leaf by it. This method runs silent, runs cheap. 🎶🎼 —> 👊🤕…?

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #5,628 of 6,930
Now for the absolutely guaranteed to get you in trouble response:

Yes. While you listen, have your wife / significant partner stand to the side of the gear rack and cool the amp by waving a large palm leaf by it. This method runs silent, runs cheap. 🎶🎼 —> 👊🤕…?
Ha, ha,ha...unfortunately this method do not work for me.
Keep her happy it is not cheap, and when she it is not happy, she is never quite 😂.
But I can see someone's wife's will happily cool your gear, only for reason keep you home and she know what you doing 😁.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #5,629 of 6,930
Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #5,630 of 6,930
Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #5,632 of 6,930
The evidence on tube life suggests keeping them cool is the top priority. Having them on socket savers gets more passive cooling on a MJ2 because there's more glass sticking out of the case. I'm thinking about adding a quiet fan or two to help also. Anyone tried this?

source: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d7a9pho6...mpIWa/GettingTheMostOutOfVacuumTubes.pdf?dl=0
Actually, keeping tubes off front the case of gear, like using tube savers/adapters on MJ2, it's make longer life of your amp too. Excessive heat it is biggest lifespan enemy of all electronics.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #5,633 of 6,930
Not sure why / it works for me. Search for this on amazon:

AC Infinity MULTIFAN S3, Quiet 120mm USB Fan, UL-Certified for Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Computer Cabinet Cooling​

It did not work on my phone, but it did pull up on my computer. Thanks for the link, however that was actually the first one I tried, and it is was very audible at all settings. I should mention I am blessed with really good hearing, and a very bad case of OCD. :wink:

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #5,634 of 6,930
Actually, keeping tubes off front the case of gear, like using tube savers/adapters on MJ2, it's make longer life of your amp too. Excessive heat it is biggest lifespan enemy of all electronics.
Second is dust…after listening sessions with the Mjolnir II and after the tubes (in adapters) have cooled, I put a rectangular 4” high Tupperware clear box over the tubes…

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #5,635 of 6,930
Second is dust…after listening sessions with the Mjolnir II and after the tubes (in adapters) have cooled, I put a rectangular 4” high Tupperware clear box over the tubes…
I am right there with ya, on fighting dust. I always cover all my gear when I am not at home. I admit it is not very pretty to look at while covered, but the second I get home, the towels (gloves) come off. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Before

20210531_040229.jpg

After

20210524_172157.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #5,636 of 6,930
I have other shapes for clear Tupperware that I use to cover Schiit Valhalla II, Woo WA3, Woo WA6 after post-listening cool-down. For the LTA MZ3, it is lint-free felt cut to shape…

Aug 10, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #5,637 of 6,930
😂😂😂
Ok bro. I'm on the hunt now
I put one on my Darkvoice (since I'm not a member of the MJ club :smile:). It's a 12v computer fan powered from a 9v wal-wart I grabbed from the stash bin, but even at 75% of full voltage it was too loud. Back to the stash bin for a computer fan speed controller, and with it turned down to 7v it's all but inaudible. Below 7v it won't spin up from a cold start (stalled), so even though I get decent cooling at 6v or even 5v, I leave it at 7v so I don't have to give it a push every time. Can't speak to improved tube longevity at this point, but the top chassis of the DV is now at room temp even after being on for several hours and it got pretty toasty previously. Transformer is even much cooler. So if nothing else it ought to help the internal components live longer.....as to whether that's a worthy goal with a Darkvoice is another matter entirely. :smile:

DV with fan 5.jpg

DV with painted fan.jpg

DV Fan Speed Controller.jpg

Aug 10, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #5,638 of 6,930
I put one on my Darkvoice (since I'm not a member of the MJ club :smile:). It's a 12v computer fan powered from a 9v wal-wart I grabbed from the stash bin, but even at 75% of full voltage it was too loud. Back to the stash bin for a computer fan speed controller, and with it turned down to 7v it's all but inaudible. Below 7v it won't spin up from a cold start (stalled), so even though I get decent cooling at 6v or even 5v, I leave it at 7v so I don't have to give it a push every time. Can't speak to improved tube longevity at this point, but the top chassis of the DV is now at room temp even after being on for several hours and it got pretty toasty previously. Transformer is even much cooler. So if nothing else it ought to help the internal components live longer.....as to whether that's a worthy goal with a Darkvoice is another matter entirely. :smile:

DV with fan 5.jpg

DV with painted fan.jpg

DV Fan Speed Controller.jpg
😂 I knew there was something to this fan thing. Everyone has been holding out on me

Aug 11, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #5,639 of 6,930
Guess what fellas . . .I found another "HG" level tube. However, this time around I did not buy them all up. :wink:

Foil O Getter

https://www.ebay.de/itm/124743110236

O Getter

https://www.ebay.de/itm/124743090322

I currently have the O Getter version, and it is a fantastic tube that can hang with the big boys no doubt. This tube best the Brimar CV455, with better clarity and space, while still being as impactful and musical. The sound sig, is like the 6201 PWTMDG and Brimar CV455 had a baby, combining the best attributes of both. I also have one of the Foil O Getters on the way, and can't wait to hear that one, as I think it might be the earlier version.:o2smile:

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #5,640 of 6,930
Nope. Not gonna do it. I refuse to keep playing your dastardly game. :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back