Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Apr 10, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #2,566 of 6,935
OK, just forget I even posted this. I feel like a total schmuck as this is rookie all the way.
It was the tubes. Obviously the GE 5670 D getters don't want to play nice in high gain balanced. I just rolled in a set of JW WE and it works like a charm.
Ok splain to me as my tube knowledge obviously isn't where I thought it may have gone. Can tubes work fine in low/high gain SE but once you go balanced, they don't want to play nice?

Cool! Glad it was simple.

Apr 10, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #2,567 of 6,935
For common knowledge, as Roshambo was saying I had power issues that caused(in part) one AKT5p drivers to bust. I think the other part of the problem was the Ken-Rad I was using. The bad crakcling sound came back but a little less strong. I haven't used my Ken-Rad in two weeks scared to break my other headphones(LCD2). I have been on a pair of 6n3p-E for the last weeks without any problems. I`m starting to relax again listening to my MJ2.

Now that I read the latest posts, I realize that my MJ2 is(and was) on Hi gain could it be that we shouldn't use 6C8G tubes on the MJ2 at Hi gain?

Apr 10, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #2,568 of 6,935
For common knowledge, as Roshambo was saying I had power issues that caused(in part) one AKT5p drivers to bust. I think the other part of the problem was the Ken-Rad I was using. The bad crakcling sound came back but a little less strong. I haven't used my Ken-Rad in two weeks scared to break my other headphones(LCD2). I have been on a pair of 6n3p-E for the last weeks without any problems. I`m starting to relax again listening to my MJ2.

Now that I read the latest posts, I realize that my MJ2 is(and was) on Hi gain could it be that we shouldn't use 6C8G tubes on the MJ2 at Hi gain?
That's an interesting question. I think my situation was odd how that particular tube was just fine running SE on low/high gain before I swapped out the SE to XLR cables between MJ2 and Gumby. Bad tubes? Your tube you're talking about is a completely different tube I was using.

Apr 10, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #2,569 of 6,935
It did the same king of bad crackling noise with a pair of TungSols. It could also be bad 6C8G adapters. I only have one pair of those so its hard for me to say. Ill wait a little bit before doing other tests. I have to say that its pretty amazing for me how tube rolling became stressful :frowning2:

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #2,573 of 6,935
Would you guys consider the Mjolnir 2 to be an end game amp?

No....I like the Lyr 3 better.

An end game headphone amp to me is something like the Eddie Current Aficionado.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #2,574 of 6,935
I am waiting for the Mjolnir 3* with the Lyr 3 design. That should be something!

*might not happen but it seems likely to me.

Apr 29, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #2,575 of 6,935
I went ahead and ordered the Mjolnir 2 + Gumby multi stack and am awaiting the shipment still. I have some questions if someone could answer would be very grateful.
My PC has USB and S/PDIF coaxial ports, which of these should i use to connect to the Mjolnir?

Secondly, ss far as i understand i will connect the Mjolnir to the gumby dac with the use of a XLR cable or a RCA cable, but it is best to use a XLR cable am i right?

Apr 29, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #2,576 of 6,935
I went ahead and ordered the Mjolnir 2 + Gumby multi stack and am awaiting the shipment still. I have some questions if someone could answer would be very grateful.
My PC has USB and S/PDIF coaxial ports, which of these should i use to connect to the Mjolnir?

Secondly, ss far as i understand i will connect the Mjolnir to the gumby dac with the use of a XLR cable or a RCA cable, but it is best to use a XLR cable am i right?

If you ordered it directly from Schiit the Gumby will come with Gen 5 usb. Connect directly from your PC to the Gumby then either RCA or XLR to the MJ2. You’ll be ready to rock then.

Apr 30, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #2,577 of 6,935

I've been using Gumby/MJ2 for the last year and it didn't make much difference whether you use RCA or XLR. The DNA Stellaris is a $6,700 highly respected Amp that doesn't even offer a XLR input except as an option. RCA is fine.

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #2,578 of 6,935
XLR is way better then RCA in certain cases only :
- If you have very long cable
- If you have crap in your electricity (just like me)
and probably other cases.

For most people, it wont make any differents so.

May 1, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #2,580 of 6,935
Question for Sennheiser HD600/650/660/700/800/800S owners, do you prefer Mjolnir2 in Low Gain or High Gain mode (assuming using balanced inputs and balanced outputs)?
Running balanced in and out with 650 on low gain sounds great. Powers it fine and it’s never sounded better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back