Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Mar 13, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #2,506 of 6,935
If you're seeing the LED's on the PCB on, is the power on while you're rolling tubes?

Or you're just pushing on the tube while it's on? Which would make more sense. Do you get a bunch of crackling when pushing on the tube/LISST in the right socket?

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #2,508 of 6,935
Does the crackling happen with the tube is cold, and become worse when it gets really hot?

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #2,510 of 6,935
Do any components look loose, like the tube socket itself or caps, resistors etc?

What type of environment is the amp in? Is there potentially dust in one the pinholes in the right tube socket?

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #2,511 of 6,935
My amp is in the mail back from Schiit, I should get it in one or two days so unfortunately I cant test it right now. I use socket savers. Swapping the sockets didn't change anything. Pretty sure I checked all connections, but plugging everything back together Ill make sure to double check all connections. I do have a cat but usually I make sure to dust around my amp once in while, overall pretty clean environment. My amp and dac are plugged in a power bar, could that be a possible cause of my problems?

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #2,512 of 6,935
Worth checking out at this point.

Only crackling I've dealt with from Schiit was when I got my Vali 2 I thought it was broken because the audio would crackle on both channels intermittently and often when I turned the pot. Turned out to be a bad RCA cable.

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #2,515 of 6,935
Any word on how long warm up time the mj2 needs? I usually turn it on around 20 minutes before use (with tubes), but I'm not sure if this is correct.

I turn my tubed amps on 15 minutes before use, myself.

JC

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #2,516 of 6,935
My Mjolnir2 came back and and everything seemed ok, no crackling sound. Left everything plugged on with low volume and I went away in our leaving room for a snack. Maybe half a hour later I heard this horrible scraching sound comming from the room where my amp is. Ran to it, unplugged my AKT5p headphones. One driver was blowned up :frowning2: Did a hour of plug-unplug test to realise that it was the power from my powerbar that was responsable for the problem. Plugged directly in the wall seemed alot better. I went to buy a Furman power conditioner PST-2+6(...a good power bar) and now the crackling noise is almost completely gone.

Any advice on a real solution for clean power, power conditioner models?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #2,517 of 6,935
My Mjolnir2 came back and and everything seemed ok, no crackling sound. Left everything plugged on with low volume and I went away in our leaving room for a snack. Maybe half a hour later I heard this horrible scraching sound comming from the room where my amp is. Ran to it, unplugged my AKT5p headphones. One driver was blowned up :frowning2: Did a hour of plug-unplug test to realise that it was the power from my powerbar that was responsable for the problem. Plugged directly in the wall seemed alot better. I went to buy a Furman power conditioner PST-2+6(...a good power bar) and now the crackling noise is almost completely gone.

Any advice on a real solution for clean power, power conditioner models?

Thanks!

Damn! I'm really sorry man, that's such terrible luck. The problem develops over such a long period and then this happens

Mar 18, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #2,518 of 6,935
Bad luck indeed. And the problem is not completly fix still. Someone at Schiit suggested to try Emotica CMX-2, wich I ordered. Just as I'm writting this, my right channel started to do some bad scratching sound again. I closed the amp, unplugged/repluged the tube from the socket saver and the ploblem seems gone...for now. Gosh I miss the time that listening to my schiit stack was relaxing:frowning2:

I wish someone with similar/same experience could tell me what to do.

Mar 18, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #2,519 of 6,935
Bad luck indeed. And the problem is not completly fix still. Someone at Schiit suggested to try Emotica CMX-2, wich I ordered. Just as I'm writting this, my right channel started to do some bad scratching sound again. I closed the amp, unplugged/repluged the tube from the socket saver and the ploblem seems gone...for now. Gosh I miss the time that listening to my schiit stack was relaxing:frowning2:

I wish someone with similar/same experience could tell me what to do.
Tube issue? Did you roll anything else and is this same tube you had in when all these problems arose?

Mar 18, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #2,520 of 6,935
I have 6C8G VT163 1940's Tungsol plugged in right now(which I really like by the way :wink:. Cant remember what tubes I had when I first heard the crackling noise. I did roll multiple tubes in including LYSST and multiple socket savers and the problem was more or less present with all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back