Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Sep 20, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #2,221 of 6,973
I think, the main point of MJ2 is to be more versatile. It have SE output and RCA output.
It has the possibility to be used with tubes.

But, in fact, they are pretty much the same :
<snip>
They look pretty much the same to me !

edit : There are actually more difference than I thought but still very similar.

Have you in fact heard them to conclude they are "pretty much the same" or is this speculation?

I believe it is the sound Wingtip wants to know about...

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #2,222 of 6,973
Have you in fact heard them to conclude they are "pretty much the same" or is this speculation?

I believe it is the sound Wingtip wants to know about...
Nop. I own a MJ2 but I have never heard the 1. And the conclusion is "they are pretty much the same" because they are. They share many components (and that is a fact, not speculation). I never talk about how they sound because I can't as I never heard the MJ1.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #2,223 of 6,973
Perhaps at a component level 'some' similarities... I wouldn't know about that for sure ... The fact that MJ2 allows for tubes makes it significantly different, IMO

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #2,224 of 6,973
Looks like I'll be joining the Mjolnir 2 club as my unit should be coming in next Thursday. After reading the Lyr 2 tube rolling thread and about 30 pages of this thread I decided to sit down and ask out right. What tubes would you gentlemen and ladies recommend for an HD650?

I use the HD650s for Jazz, Acoustic, Vocals, Alternative, and Rock. In the future I'm planning on purchasing one of ZMF's Atticus for EDM and Pop as well as a Hifiman Edition X V2 for my planar. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #2,225 of 6,973
Looks like I'll be joining the Mjolnir 2 club as my unit should be coming in next Thursday. After reading the Lyr 2 tube rolling thread and about 30 pages of this thread I decided to sit down and ask out right. What tubes would you gentlemen and ladies recommend for an HD650?

I use the HD650s for Jazz, Acoustic, Vocals, Alternative, and Rock. In the future I'm planning on purchasing one of ZMF's Atticus for EDM and Pop as well as a Hifiman Edition X V2 for my planar. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last year sometime a poster by the name of Rob (Not sure, maybe someone else here will remember his name or handle) did a heroic comparison of 16 different pairs of 6DJ8 / 6922 types. If you can find his post it’s worth a read.

How much do you want to spend?

I suggest listening to the stock tubes for 30 days, decide what you would like to try and improve on, then shop.

I like the 5670W’s for the money versus overall performance; they are what I’m burning presently for the past several weeks in my MJ2.

This is my current inventory (All Matched Pairs) , comments are from the respective sellers sites;

From Tubemonger

2 TUBEMONGER - Brimar Ediswan ECC88 1960’s: warm, airy $84.00 / pr.

From Music Direct

2 iFi GE JAN 5670W Made in USA: clarity, warmth, bass impact, sound stage A-OK. $99/pr.

From Upscale Audio

2 Amperex Jan 7308 Green: slightly relaxed top. Smooth, liquid mid-band. Fabulous, slightly full bass. $258/pr.

2 Telefunken ECC88 / 6922: neutral and beautiful sounding. $378/pr.

2 Siemens A-Frame E88CC / 6922: dynamic bass and a vivid up-front midrange, looking for warmth, try the Amperex 7308

or Ediswan CV2492 instead. $200/pr

2 Pope PCC88 (Made in Holland): Phillips brand for sale in S.A. $150/pr.

2 Tungsram E88CC / 6922: SWEET, extended, and stays quiet, Superb detail and dynamics... can lift a veil off your system. Not the

warmest 6922 so if that's what you're after, check out the Amperex or Ediswan tubes. $176/pr.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #2,226 of 6,973

Need to know what sound sig you are looking for in a tube.
Read this link as to the different 6DJ8 variants and how the different brand/countries house sound sig.
http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

Sep 23, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #2,227 of 6,973
Last year sometime a poster by the name of Rob (Not sure, maybe someone else here will remember his name or handle) did a heroic comparison of 16 different pairs of 6DJ8 / 6922 types. If you can find his post it’s worth a read.

How much do you want to spend?

I suggest listening to the stock tubes for 30 days, decide what you would like to try and improve on, then shop.

I like the 5670W’s for the money versus overall performance; they are what I’m burning presently for the past several weeks in my MJ2.

This is my current inventory (All Matched Pairs) , comments are from the respective sellers sites;

From Tubemonger

2 TUBEMONGER - Brimar Ediswan ECC88 1960’s: warm, airy $84.00 / pr.

From Music Direct

2 iFi GE JAN 5670W Made in USA: clarity, warmth, bass impact, sound stage A-OK. $99/pr.

From Upscale Audio

2 Amperex Jan 7308 Green: slightly relaxed top. Smooth, liquid mid-band. Fabulous, slightly full bass. $258/pr.

2 Telefunken ECC88 / 6922: neutral and beautiful sounding. $378/pr.

2 Siemens A-Frame E88CC / 6922: dynamic bass and a vivid up-front midrange, looking for warmth, try the Amperex 7308

or Ediswan CV2492 instead. $200/pr

2 Pope PCC88 (Made in Holland): Phillips brand for sale in S.A. $150/pr.

2 Tungsram E88CC / 6922: SWEET, extended, and stays quiet, Superb detail and dynamics... can lift a veil off your system. Not the

warmest 6922 so if that's what you're after, check out the Amperex or Ediswan tubes. $176/pr.

The Tungsram E88CC sounds like it will match well with my HD650's and hopefully my future purchases. Thank you for taking your time typing up a list of tubes and their distinct sound.

Sound signature wise I'm a tiny bit adverse to treble. I do enjoy more mellow music and most of the music I listen to is house, Drum and bass, and edm. I enjoy the heck out of my Jot+HD650 which has addicting mids but looking for more low end.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #2,228 of 6,973
The Tungsram E88CC sounds like it will match well with my HD650's and hopefully my future purchases. Thank you for taking your time typing up a list of tubes and their distinct sound.

Sound signature wise I'm a tiny bit adverse to treble. I do enjoy more mellow music and most of the music I listen to is house, Drum and bass, and edm. I enjoy the heck out of my Jot+HD650 which has addicting mids but looking for more low end.

I've been listening with the Jotunheim and Utopia to some early music on period instruments, mostly Pinnock and English Concert on Archiv. Staggeringly life-like. With Simon Standage leading the way they even make that over recorded war horse Vivaldi's 4 Seasons sound fresh and involving. Whoever recorded this group really knew how to capture the warm, woody body and unique high frequency sounds of those period strings without things getting too astringent. Bass from the cellos and basses is full bodied and deep ranging. Of course most period instruments were never designed to plumb the subterranean depths of their modern day counterparts. And the bass capabilities of instruments used in contemporary and popular music of both the analogue and electronic types can be felt as much as heard,

Monday, (College football today, Pro's tomorrow) I'm going to start a triple flusher comparison with my 3 Schiit HP amps on this music. Small sized chamber groups like this stand a better chance of playback that gives a realistic illusion of the 'live' experience. Large scale works like those of Mahler, Bruckner, Strauss, etc, fail epic-ly on all equipment I've ever heard from expensive HP's to half million dollar 2 channel setups when compared to the live concert hall experience. It's another one of those problems that throwing money at apparently doesn't seem able to solve.

Sep 23, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #2,229 of 6,973
Sep 24, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #2,230 of 6,973
Will the Mjolnir 2 function with one tube out? I've had my MJ2 only for two weeks, and I have no sound today and it was working yesterday. I hope it's only a tube as I have performed a reset.

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #2,232 of 6,973
No noise here. How long does it go on for? I've never heard a sound out of mine other than the relay to output. No tube noise and no metal contraction sound.

Sep 28, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #2,233 of 6,973
Finally came in and spent a few hours listening. Definitely different from my Jotunheim and the first thing that struck me was instruments: Pianos, guitars, and harmonicas come across much more life like. I do enjoy the Tungsram more than the tubes that come with the Mjornil 2. I do have a question - there's a noise that gets more noticeable when you turn up the volume that sounds like wind...is this normal with tube amps?

Edit: Looks like I was getting noise from my power strip. Swapped it out and windy city is gone.

3By2uGZ.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #2,234 of 6,973
Finally came in and spent a few hours listening. Definitely different from my Jotunheim and the first thing that struck me was instruments: Pianos, guitars, and harmonicas come across much more life like. I do enjoy the Tungsram more than the tubes that come with the Mjornil 2. I do have a question - there's a noise that gets more noticeable when you turn up the volume that sounds like wind...is this normal with tube amps?

Edit: Looks like I was getting noise from my power strip. Swapped it out and windy city is gone.

3By2uGZ.jpg

Glad you found where the problem was. Although tubes generally are more noisy than SS, whether you can hear that difference is another matter.

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #2,235 of 6,973
Anyone think that a Mjolnir update might be in the cards soon? I notice Jason didn't include it in his list of amps on which it was difficult to make improvements over the existing design (in his recent Magni 3 post) -- Asgard 2, Valhalla 2, etc.

Been eyeing the Mjolnir for a while, but seeing the incredibly impressive specs for Jotunheim and Magni 3 makes me think that an upgrade for their flagship headphone amplifier (if you don't count Ragnarok) MUST be coming our way...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back