Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Dec 15, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #676 of 6,963
Anyone here have any experince with going from Vali to Mj2? I was wondering what differences I would be paying for if i upgraded..... Current Headphone is K712, and i have a Modi for the DAC. Listening to FLAC on Tidal (until it expires in 2 months :wink: jumped on that bandwagon of 3 months for $20....). Any direction would be nice, and feel free to Pm me if you would like.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #677 of 6,963
  Anyone here have any experince with going from Vali to Mj2? I was wondering what differences I would be paying for if i upgraded..... Current Headphone is K712, and i have a Modi for the DAC. Listening to FLAC on Tidal (until it expires in 2 months :wink: jumped on that bandwagon of 3 months for $20....). Any direction would be nice, and feel free to Pm me if you would like.

Upgrade your headphones and your DAC first. When you listen to your headphones, you're listening through an audio chain.
 Any weak links will be a bottleneck. There's no point having such a high end amplifier if your DAC and headphones are bottlenecks.

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #678 of 6,963

Upgrade your headphones and your DAC first. When you listen to your headphones, you're listening through an audio chain.
 Any weak links will be a bottleneck. There's no point having such a high end amplifier if your DAC and headphones are bottlenecks.

@Arnotts advice is solid, and has been my experience as well. I've mentioned this in other threads, but when I owned K702s, I upgraded from the Vali to the Lyr 2. That almost seemed like a side step to me, despite the Lyr 2 having gobs more power. A couple of weeks later I upgraded from the Modi to the Bifrost Uber. THAT was a significant upgrade. I'm slowly learning that I'm becoming a "Source matters" kinda guy, assuming the rest of the system is at least adequate.

My next Schiit upgrade will be Yggdrasil. I'm done with these incremental source upgrades....

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #679 of 6,963
@Arnotts
advice is solid, and has been my experience as well. I've mentioned this in other threads, but when I owned K702s, I upgraded from the Vali to the Lyr 2. That almost seemed like a side step to me, despite the Lyr 2 having gobs more power. A couple of weeks later I upgraded from the Modi to the Bifrost Uber. THAT was a significant upgrade. I'm slowly learning that I'm becoming a "Source matters" kinda guy, assuming the rest of the system is at least adequate.

My next Schiit upgrade will be Yggdrasil. I'm done with these incremental source upgrades....

Thanks both you guys for advice, ill take it to heart. I feel like my next headphone choice would be The Ether or something in that price range. Right now I could just afford to get the amp. That's why I was wondering if it would improve my k712's any. I guess it's time to get a better DAC or save for a new can

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #680 of 6,963
Dec 17, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #682 of 6,963
  Hi Schiit audio fans

Tube savers?

How do you get these back out of the amp ?  After you install them?

This my technique - insert a tube into the saver - then carefully tilt to one side with gentle upward pressure - then to the opposite side.  Wiggling the saver up and out.  If the tube slips out to easily - just move the pins a very small amount inward with your finger nail.  If it hurts your pushing to hard.

Now if you want or need to frequently remove the saver (why would you) you can use a length of unused dental floss between the pins across the middle bottom of the saver.  Leave the floss tails out to be reached easily.  Just a gentle pull and the saver will come out.

Or get a pair of these
http://www.head-fi.org/t/781613/tube-puller-tool-pliers

Good Luck!

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #683 of 6,963

This my technique - insert a tube into the saver - then carefully tilt to one side with gentle upward pressure - then to the opposite side.  Wiggling the saver up and out.  If the tube slips out to easily - just move the pins a very small amount inward with your finger nail.  If it hurts your pushing to hard.

Now if you want or need to frequently remove the saver (why would you) you can use a length of unused dental floss between the pins across the middle bottom of the saver.  Leave the floss tails out to be reached easily.  Just a gentle pull and the saver will come out.

Or get a pair of these
http://www.head-fi.org/t/781613/tube-puller-tool-pliers

Good Luck!

I never would have thought of that. Wow.

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #684 of 6,963
  I never would have thought of that. Wow.

Your choice waxed or unwaxed -mint or regular!
beyersmile.png

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #685 of 6,963
Trying to decide between the MJ2 and the Woo WA6-SE. Can anyone provide any comparisons? 

Also, if I run my Hugo (single-ended) into the MJ2, is there a phase splitter to provide balanced output? 

Thanks. 

(Will be using this for my Ethers, primarily.) 

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #687 of 6,963
  Trying to decide between the MJ2 and the Woo WA6-SE. Can anyone provide any comparisons? 

Also, if I run my Hugo (single-ended) into the MJ2, is there a phase splitter to provide balanced output? 

Thanks. 

I have had them Both but using different gear.  Can't give a honest comparison but I personally like the Mj 2 better.  

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #688 of 6,963

Thanks. 

I've never found the WA stuff to perform anywhere near it's asking price. A good chunk of what you pay is into the casing around it. WA6 does sound quite good, but IMO i'd place it in the $600 range in terms of audio performance, YMMV.

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #689 of 6,963

Highs: Crisp, some sparkle bit like a fairy fart, Detailed.  There were sounds that previously went unnoticed in tracks I tested. Mjolnir 2's lightning lit up the corners of the music file like a Chinese chemical plant.
Thus ends impressions.

This description sold me on the amp.  :wink:

Now ordering as soon as I can sell some older stuff.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back