Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Sep 5, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #181 of 6,973
Well put, I was of course just sharing some simplified "sound science" as it were. Though I've personally always been a solid state type when it comes to listening, I'm starting to find some tube gear I like. And I've used tube mics for a while now and love them. : )

I've gone from all solid state to all tube - and for a good period of time have settle in between with hybrids.  Power tubes can sound excellent - but to tighten the bass they need lot's of global feedback.  And power tube do not last nearly as long as small signal tubes like the 6922 - so for the power section I really like class A mosfets.

Cheers!

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #182 of 6,973
Arg I think I am a hopeless Audiophile addict, I just ordered a Mjolnir 2. After this order, I shall retire my cards to a bank deposit box. That is the last time I do shots of chartreuse and Irish whiskey. My uncle is a evil man lol. I have not been that ripped in years lol. I wil write up impressions once the amp arrives this Tuesday.:D

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #183 of 6,973
I have always been in the habit of turning the volume down to minimum and then removing my headphones before turning off an amplifier and leaving the volume at minimum and turning on the amplifier before plugging in my headphones as most amps make a loud pop when the phones are left plugged in. Is this necessary with the Mjolnir, will it cause any issues?

Probably not. I've turned it on and off while wearing headphones and the volume up and haven't noticed barely any click in the headphones or anything. I believe it includes a muting circuit.

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #184 of 6,973
I surprised not to see more impressions and comparisons here already. Yeah, I know it's early. But I must know...

*how does the mjo 2 compare to lyr 2?

*how does mjo 2 pair with the big hitter cans? Ether, Audeze, hd800 etc...

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #186 of 6,973
Loving it with my ETHER.

Um...can you put that in perspective a bit? Compared to what? No disrespect intended. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #187 of 6,973
I surprised not to see more impressions and comparisons here already. Yeah, I know it's early. But I must know...

*how does the mjo 2 compare to lyr 2?

*how does mjo 2 pair with the big hitter cans? Ether, Audeze, hd800 etc...

I will try to answer some of these questions, when the Mjolnir 2' shows up. Although I wish I had a HD 800, or a audeze to play with.

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #188 of 6,973
Arg I think I am a hopeless Audiophile addict, I just ordered a Mjolnir 2. After this order, I shall retire my cards to a bank deposit box. That is the last time I do shots of chartreuse and Irish whiskey. My uncle is a evil man lol. I have not been that ripped in years lol. I wil write up impressions once the amp arrives this Tuesday.
biggrin.gif

lol!!! Do you now have every single item new & discounted by Schiit? Let me know if you are looking to unload some stuff in the future!

Hope you enjoy your new gear man!! :) 

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #189 of 6,973
lol!!! Do you now have every single item new & discounted by Schiit? Let me know if you are looking to unload some stuff in the future!

Hope you enjoy your new gear man!! :) 

Lol I still need the Valhalla 2 and magni to have all the Schiit Audio amps lol. I am such a consumeristic hung over swine.

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #190 of 6,973
Lol I still need the Valhalla 2 and magni to have all the Schiit Audio amps lol. I am such a consumeristic hung over swine.

naww bro, you embody the capitalistic adventurous american spirit!!!

you are advancing lady liberty my man :)

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #191 of 6,973
Lol, I will say to date the M2 and ETHER is the best setup I have heard. Will likely be my end game setup.

JRiver>Wyrd>Modi2Uber>Mojilnir 2>ETHER

using pyst usb cables from PC to Wyrd and Wyrd to Modi and blue jeans rca cables from Modi2U to Mojilnir 2.

The only thing that may change will be adding a Gungnir MB. I'm not certain how much improvement I would notice going from Modi2U to Gungnir MB.

I would like to hear from anyone who has both feeding a M2 to determine if the diminishing returns is worthwhile. The stackability will be a big plus. The Wyrd/Modi stack is stacked upon the M2's front left corner, not exactly aesthetically pleasing.

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #192 of 6,973
Lol, I will say to date the M2 and ETHER is the best setup I have heard. Will likely be my end game setup.

using pyst usb cables from PC to Wyrd and Wyrd to Modi and blue jeans rca cables from Modi2U to Mojilnir 2.

The only thing that may change will be adding a Gungnir MB. I'm not certain how much improvement I would notice going from Modi2U to Gungnir MB.

I would like to hear from anyone who has both feeding a M2 to determine if the diminishing returns is worthwhile. The stackability will be a big plus. The Wyrd/Modi stack is stacked upon the M2's front left corner, not exactly aesthetically pleasing.

Even going from the original Gungnir to the MB was an appreciable and IMO significant improvement. Subtle detail pops out from a larger sound stage. Bass is super tight and bumpin' nicely. In a word, the upgrade to MB gives a more "analogue" sound. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #193 of 6,973

I used my Modi2U with my M2 for a week before my upgraded Gungnir came back from Schiit. While the Modi2U sounds fantastic with Mjolnir 2, the Gungnir MB is a totally different level. You will notice the difference.

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #195 of 6,973

In moving from Uberfrost to Gungnir and eventually to Gungnir multibit feeding my newly acquired M2, it's an enormous difference. There's a spacious, wide stereo image created by a fully balanced setup that IMO cannot be created by a SE configuration at these price points.

I do feel for your wallet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back