Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jul 28, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #5,416 of 6,930
Sleeper tube brand of the year for me has got to be Tungsram folks. I rolled in my second pair of Black Welded Plate Disc Getters last night in my RH-5, and man oh man this really is another very very special tube. The way this tube throws huge 3D images is insane, and the musicians and instruments are all fully fleshed out, and everything has it's own space and seems very true to size. The impact and transparency of this tube combined with that insane imaging, and massively open stage really makes things sound very lifelike. With everything having it's own space, I can really hear every little nuance, and even more than with the CV455 or 6201. Yep, I just said that. :wink: The stage with this tube is massive in all directions and literally opens up to where the headphones disappear, and once again it's as if I was "There". The notes have this amazing texture that is incredibly lifelike sounding, and I can feel the music. The bass hits hard as well and is tight and accurate sounding too. I really could go on and on, but basically this tube is perfect in every way, as in sounding so freaking lifelike it is spooky! The Tungsram ECC82 Black Welded Plate Disk Getter really is a perfect tube.

The funny thing about this tube is I have had a single for months before any of the Footscray tubes came about, and I only gave it a listen to see if I could sell it. I was not expecting it to sound this incredible, and luckily the second I discovered it was magic, I immediately hopped on ebay and found 3 more. The really cool thing about this tube, and the icing on the cake, is that I have not spent more than $60 bucks per tube. :smile:

Compared to the CV455 the Tungsram BWPDG is more open sounding, with bigger images, and is a bit more transparent as well. The CV455 has more of a mid bass focus and the Tungsram is more subbass focused. The CV455 puts me inside the music, and the Tungsram puts me "There" with the musicians. I love them both. :o2smile:

20210517_173217.jpg
20210517_173049.jpg
I found these bro. They actually have a dual post though. Not sure if these are what I'm looking for.
20210728_193658.jpg

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #5,418 of 6,930
Sleeper tube brand of the year for me has got to be Tungsram folks. I rolled in my second pair of Black Welded Plate Disc Getters last night in my RH-5, and man oh man this really is another very very special tube. The way this tube throws huge 3D images is insane, and the musicians and instruments are all fully fleshed out, and everything has it's own space and seems very true to size. The impact and transparency of this tube combined with that insane imaging, and massively open stage really makes things sound very lifelike. With everything having it's own space, I can really hear every little nuance, and even more than with the CV455 or 6201. Yep, I just said that. :wink: The stage with this tube is massive in all directions and literally opens up to where the headphones disappear, and once again it's as if I was "There". The notes have this amazing texture that is incredibly lifelike sounding, and I can feel the music. The bass hits hard as well and is tight and accurate sounding too. I really could go on and on, but basically this tube is perfect in every way, as in sounding so freaking lifelike it is spooky! The Tungsram ECC82 Black Welded Plate Disk Getter really is a perfect tube.

The funny thing about this tube is I have had a single for months before any of the Footscray tubes came about, and I only gave it a listen to see if I could sell it. I was not expecting it to sound this incredible, and luckily the second I discovered it was magic, I immediately hopped on ebay and found 3 more. The really cool thing about this tube, and the icing on the cake, is that I have not spent more than $60 bucks per tube. :smile:

Compared to the CV455 the Tungsram BWPDG is more open sounding, with bigger images, and is a bit more transparent as well. The CV455 has more of a mid bass focus and the Tungsram is more subbass focused. The CV455 puts me inside the music, and the Tungsram puts me "There" with the musicians. I love them both. :o2smile:

20210517_173217.jpg
20210517_173049.jpg
Dang it. Now I'm gonna have to whip out my Tungsram ECC82's and take a close look at the innards. Never paid much attention to them, and can't remember when I last listened to them. Kind of silly, as the Tungsram E88CC's are my favorites in the Cary DAC...

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #5,419 of 6,930
Can you compare tubes that I already own like the k61 45 degree D getter Heerlen? If only to save me money.
😂
That D-getter isn't angled on purpose. It's a weak spot in the post causing it to sag, and one of these days it will sag enough to contact the plate(s) and go kaboom. Hope this helps. :laughing:

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #5,420 of 6,930
That D-getter isn't angled on purpose. It's a weak spot in the post causing it to sag, and one of these days it will sag enough to contact the plate(s) and go kaboom. Hope this helps. :laughing:
Lol it angles upward no downward. 🤣. Guess if your running your amp upside down you may have a point.

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #5,421 of 6,930
Oh. Oh. That means the getter holder post is sinking and will eventual short one of the pins! :astonished:

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #5,422 of 6,930
Lol it angles upward no downward. 🤣. Guess if your running your amp upside down you may have a point.
Or in Australia…

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #5,423 of 6,930
Huh? Is that a trick question? Of course I run my amp upside down. Gravity stretches the plates and all tubes become long plate versions...eventually. Doesn't everybody do that? :laughing:

Jul 29, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #5,424 of 6,930
I found these bro. They actually have a dual post though. Not sure if these are what I'm looking for.
Not the right tube. The Grey Plates don't have the magic. Sorry bro! I really want you to get a pair of the good ones. Black Welded Plates is the first thing to look for, followed by the Disc Getters.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #5,425 of 6,930
Jul 29, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #5,426 of 6,930
Man.... I'm gonna have to snag a pair of these tungsrams. The madness never ends 😂
You would love them bro. They are killer tubes, with a very high immersion factor. I wish I had a spare pair to send to you, so you could hear them, as they are that good. However, all 3 of mine are currently being used in both my amps, and they are not coming out anytime soon. :smile: Hell, I even scored Tungsram Welded Plate Disk Getters in EL84 and EZ81 form as well to use in my Pendant SE, so I am running nothing but Tungsram in both my amps at the moment, hence my new avatar. Seriously folks, early Tungsram's are the bees knees! I really hope one of you scores a pair someday soon, as I hope I am not the only one able to enjoy this insanely amazing tube.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #5,427 of 6,930
Those looking for the Tungsram Black Welded Plates on Ebay, make sure your search is Worldwide. I have found mine from 2 different sellers in Hungary.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #5,428 of 6,930
Had a mixed session tonight to compare ZMF Vérité Open, Kennerton Gjallarhorn, and Mrspeakers Alpha Primes.

I have used MJ2.

I concluded....

That VO is great on MJ2 but better suited to my Feliks Echo.

Gjallarhorn is awesome and punches way above its weight.

Mrspeakers Alpha Prime has long been my favourite headphone however it's time to move it on to a new owner. I only have the room in my collection for two headphone models, two amps and one dac.

Gjallarhorn and VO are complimentary and both are highly interoperable between MJ2 and Echo.

I've spent the majority of the evening with Gjallarhorn and MJ2.

I'm now aiming for a Feliks Elise to replace echo to allow VO to scale more.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #5,429 of 6,930

20210517_173217.jpg
20210517_173049.jpg
I have a pair of tungsram 6922 tubes. They are awesome for EDM. It was a specific recommendation that Dan Clark gave me. I used them in my first Gumby and MJ2 rig back in the day and they were awesome.

If I didn't like the Footscrays so much, I'd be splitting my time between my tungsram 6922s and my Amperex ECC88 tubes.

The Amperex ECC88s are warmer than the Footscrays and have a gorgeous musicality that just gets my feet tapping. These were my favourite tubes before I got the Footscrays.

Jul 29, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #5,430 of 6,930
I have a pair of noval Tungsram ecc40 Rimlock tubes with 6SN7 adapters and they do sound quite nice, as I recall. May be time to roll them back into Lyr 3 or Incubus. :thinking:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back