Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jun 8, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #3,871 of 6,963
Bro, I just looked up the Mojo EVO Mystique DAC and that is a serious piece of gear! As for my Sonnet Morpheus it is no slouch either, and the Gumby well it has it's own nickname so that says it all. :wink: I absolutely believe a DAC is the most important part of the chain.

Great description of the Footscray CV4033, by the way. I definitely could not have said it so eloquently.
Thanks...I’m just trying to state what is obvious to my ears.**

If the music source is in digital lossless form, the DAC is the most important part of the chain.

If the music source is vinyl, to me, the phono preamplifier is the most important part of the chain because of the very low signal levels which have to be passed through without alteration.

** to me - and I believe to you, Guido, Keith and others on the DarkVoice & 6SN7 threads - music is more than a commodity. Listening to it, and it alone, IS an enriching activity. PS, I love to work out and HARD; but I will never have earbuds on... I can “listen” to my favourite tracks in my head by memory...🎶🎶 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #3,872 of 6,963
EA42C1A9-0371-44A7-9DAD-903297EE58D3.png

That price tag😔

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #3,874 of 6,963
RCA clear top? Interesting curve ball, as those never did anything for me, but I only tried one in a Bottlehead Crack. The RCA did not even come close to the 7730 in the BHC, by the way. I am definitely looking forward to a shootout with my 7316, 7730, and CV491. :o2smile:
I would love to hear a BHC with circuitry that could handle the gain of the 12AT7....BHC + speedball + capzillas....1 GEC CV5008 + 1 Brimar CV4033 KB/FB....💭🎶💭🎶....

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #3,876 of 6,963
Anxiously waiting on your final thoughts Tom on the Footscray. I know how you operate though. Lol.

100 hours. Some rolling. Then the post 😂

Most suspenseful wait ever😁

:beerchug:
Final thoughts later on as I believe tubes have a combo of burn in and getting used to tubes. I equate that with listening to 1 set of cans for a long time and then putting on another pair and it sounding off. At worst this is a top 5 tube all time and at best the tubes are my number 1 tube all time. Judging by the sheer number of tubes I've rolled says a lot.

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #3,877 of 6,963
Final thoughts later on as I believe tubes have a combo of burn in and getting used to tubes. I equate that with listening to 1 set of cans for a long time and then putting on another pair and it sounding off. At worst this is a top 5 tube all time and at best the tubes are my number 1 tube all time. Judging by the sheer number of tubes I've rolled says a lot.
Good stuff man! Brain burn in with this tube is definitely just as important as physical burn in, and that is great advice for others following along. You are definitely a tube rolling Jedi, and if the Footscray does not become your number 1, I will be quite surprised. Just out of curiosity what is your current number 1?

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #3,878 of 6,963
A few of the thoughts that repeatedly come to mind when listening with the Footscray Triple Mica 57', "Wow!". . . "Holy crap!" . . ."Oh my word!" . . . "Damn, I have never heard that before!" . . ."What the heck!?" . . ."Where am I?" . . . "How is this possible?" . . ."This is insane!" . . . "I am there!" :o2smile:

When I take a toke or 2 and get totally relaxed, stand up and close my eyes while listening with the Footscray, the stage is so immersive and everything sounds so real, that I literally feel like the musicians and I are in our own world! Talk about an escape! :smile:

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #3,879 of 6,963
Good stuff man! Brain burn in with this tube is definitely just as important as physical burn in, and that is great advice for others following along. You are definitely a tube rolling Jedi, and if the Footscray does not become your number 1, I will be quite surprised. Just out of curiosity what is your current number 1?
7316 LP I think. Have a top 20 best list in my profile. Top 7 or 8 are the best of the best and the rest are very good to excellent. Definitely a step down in satisfaction from the top ones.

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #3,880 of 6,963
7316 LP I think. Have a top 20 best list in my profile. Top 7 or 8 are the best of the best and the rest are very good to excellent. Definitely a step down in satisfaction from the top ones.
That's a killer list, and I especially like your number 2.

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #3,882 of 6,963
Change of avatar?...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back