Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Aug 26, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #2,761 of 6,930
I totally agree with all of @TK16s suggestions, although I'm not personally fond of the Tung-Sol, as they're a bit too mid forward/top end relaxed for me, but the rest are pretty solid. @Dan Lee considering your sound preferences I would say the WE396, Foton 6n3p, and the CBS would be your best options out of those suggestions.
@TK16 and @AuditoryCanvas are spot on. I spent 6 months obsessing on tubes and they nailed my findings in two posts.

I then moved on to an IEM obsession. Oh my wallet!

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #2,762 of 6,930
that
@TK16 and @AuditoryCanvas are spot on. I spent 6 months obsessing on tubes and they nailed my findings in two posts.

I then moved on to an IEM obsession. Oh my wallet!
That awesome... aside from the wallet pains which i fully understand I think my wife is one step away from using my new MJ2 to beat me to death. Those guys have helped me a lot so far. What IEMs did you get into and gotta ask did you find any of them a worthy competitor for a good pair of OTE headphones?

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #2,763 of 6,930
It's difficult to see where MJ2 can be improved. I suppose it could have a more euphonic sound, but if you want euphony, you've already bought a WA22. or WA5.
I want euphony in the MJ2 is that possible? Or at least a little possible?

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #2,764 of 6,930
Tung Sol 2C51 is way better to my ears than that ECC88 pair. Cheap. 60's Foton 6N3P AC sells those. The 50's are better but very rare. Both inexpensive. Warmish tubes. Western Electric 396A is one of my all time favorites. Call them Mullards on steroids and HGH. Cost is higher than the first 2 options. The Foton with the Tung Sol is well under $100 total. The Reflektor 50's 3x mica 6N2P is great for the price, no adapter needed. 50's Tesla 6CC41 is another great tube. No adapter needed for that. More of a neutral tube (slightly warm) is the CBS 5670. Extreme amount of detail and separation. Can be had fairly cheap. Nice change up to the warm tubes.
TK how would you say the WE 396a sound in the MJ2 as far as their overall signature cause I have heard nothing but good things about them an is their a cheaper 396a that comes close to it in sound quality?
Also that brings up another nube question that I am sure you guys have grown tired of answering, but when I am looking through all these tube stores there is like 30+ different 6dj8's 30+ different 6922's 30+ different all variations of tubes. Do all 6dj8's and all 6922 and all 396a's or 2c51's have similiar signatures to one another or do they all very drastically?

Aug 26, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #2,765 of 6,930
that

That awesome... aside from the wallet pains which i fully understand I think my wife is one step away from using my new MJ2 to beat me to death. Those guys have helped me a lot so far. What IEMs did you get into and gotta ask did you find any of them a worthy competitor for a good pair of OTE headphones?
One thing of importance I did learn after spending to much money on tubes is that you really do not need to spend to much money : ) I did eventually gravitate to the 396A family. More affordable for an outstanding sound. Once I had a couple pairs of WE and and couple of Tung Sol I was content and still had two pairs to many for my lifetime to ever wear out. And I have not even been using them in my amps : ) That does not mean the CBS, RCA, and GE, and Bendix I have are not very good because they are extremely good. I have run RCA in my Lyr 2 and unmarked Tung Sol in my MJ2 for some time and have been very content. I found myself buying and hoarding great tubes which got me worried about my sanity : )

There are amazing people in this community with amazing knowledge. I appreciate all the help they have me and all the help I got from reading everything on this thread and the Lyr/Vali tube rolling threads.

IEM world? I needed very portable portable HPs and IEMs fit that bill. I sold all my portable HPs once I tasted TOTL IEMs. Something like the Rhapsodio Solar or EarSonics S-EM9 get close to my LCD 3 (dark and creamy sound). Ones like the Empire Ears Phantom or Rhapsodio Eden rival or top my LCD XCs (bright and detailed sound). Soundstage on a TOTL open back headphone like LCD 3 cannot be rivaled by any IEM I have heard. But the intimacy of a TOTL IEM is really special.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #2,766 of 6,930
very good answer my friend thank you and glad to hear that at some point I can get an IEM that will give me close to my LCD-x sound.

Aug 27, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #2,767 of 6,930
TK how would you say the WE 396a sound in the MJ2 as far as their overall signature cause I have heard nothing but good things about them an is their a cheaper 396a that comes close to it in sound quality?
Also that brings up another nube question that I am sure you guys have grown tired of answering, but when I am looking through all these tube stores there is like 30+ different 6dj8's 30+ different 6922's 30+ different all variations of tubes. Do all 6dj8's and all 6922 and all 396a's or 2c51's have similiar signatures to one another or do they all very drastically?
If you want a Western Electric 396A pair I can see you a pair cheap. 1 tube is stronger in testing than the other. Doesn't affect the SQ 1 bit in a MJ2. $50 plus .shipping. Got 2 pair of Tung Sol 2C51 for $50 total for 2 pair. The 2 pair are microphonic tapping the tube and amp. Something you would not do while listening anyway. The TS are 50's and the WE are 49/57. PM if interested.

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #2,768 of 6,930
I appreciate the offer TK and may well take you up on it but Im still waiting to hear back from auditory canvas as I already made a commitment to get a few tubes from him but I may still get those from you if I decide to just add to my collection which is kinda crazy to say considering I havent even recieved my MJ2 yet and already am developing a collection of tubes haha.
In your opinion does the GE 5670w used for the iFi tubes sound in anyway similar to the Western Electric 396a?

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #2,770 of 6,930
I appreciate the offer TK and may well take you up on it but Im still waiting to hear back from auditory canvas as I already made a commitment to get a few tubes from him but I may still get those from you if I decide to just add to my collection which is kinda crazy to say considering I havent even recieved my MJ2 yet and already am developing a collection of tubes haha.
In your opinion does the GE 5670w used for the iFi tubes sound in anyway similar to the Western Electric 396a?
The WE are significantly better than the GE in my opinion. They have the euphony that I believe you're looking for. @TK16s offer is very generous, and probably the best price you'll find for them, so I highly recommend grabbing them. I can hold on to the others for you if you want to slow down on the spending.

Aug 27, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #2,771 of 6,930
Not similar at all. Nothing I heard sounds anything like Western Electric except for much more expensive Heerlen CCa pinched waist.
So weird that two tubes can be built almost identically but sound so different but that is good as it gives us so many different options to explore. Thanks again for your input I will PM you later about the WEs

Aug 27, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #2,772 of 6,930
The WE are significantly better than the GE in my opinion. They have the euphony that I believe you're looking for. @TK16s offer is very generous, and probably the best price you'll find for them, so I highly recommend grabbing them. I can hold on to the others for you if you want to slow down on the spending.
Thanks again auditory I have pmed you and am gonna grab a couple of the tubes you got and also will prolly get those WEs from TK. You guys have been a huge help I really appreciate it.

Aug 28, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #2,773 of 6,930
I just got a pair of WE396A as well. I'm using the HD800S with the Gumby and it really brings a satisfying bass, wider soundstage, and depth to the music unlike the stock/LISST tubes.
It also added some sibilance which is the only negative trait I have found.
Diana Krall's Wallflower album just became way too unbearable to listen to her voice.
Do you guys usually use the MJ2 on High Gain?
Low Gain just seems a bit too muddy in comparison (although it does take away the sibilance a bit).

Aug 28, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #2,774 of 6,930
I just got a pair of WE396A as well. I'm using the HD800S with the Gumby and it really brings a satisfying bass, wider soundstage, and depth to the music unlike the stock/LISST tubes.
It also added some sibilance which is the only negative trait I have found.
Diana Krall's Wallflower album just became way too unbearable to listen to her voice.
Do you guys usually use the MJ2 on High Gain?
Low Gain just seems a bit too muddy in comparison (although it does take away the sibilance a bit).
Sounds like they might just need some burn in time - up to 100 hours. A lot of NOS tubes will sound congested in the mids and highs and potentially sibilant until they burn in.

Aug 28, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #2,775 of 6,930
Sounds like they might just need some burn in time - up to 100 hours. A lot of NOS tubes will sound congested in the mids and highs and potentially sibilant until they burn in.
Thank you, I do hope some burn-in will help.
However, this pair I know has been lightly used at the least (since I'm not sure if there's any real NOS WE396A left).
Does it matter if it is a Top-Square Getter model?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back