Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Tube Rolling
Jan 23, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #17 of 27

Why would I step down the product chain?  :)

Why would one own a tube-solid state hybrid if one isn't going to use tubes?

Pocket the difference, buy more headphones.

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #18 of 27

Because it sounds better with the LISST?  

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #20 of 27

Pocket the difference, buy more headphones.

Because if you are not sure you are "a tube man" or "a SS man", you can compare the two types, with tubes in/out being the only difference in the equipment chain. (It wouldn't be an instantaneous swap, but you can't have everything.) 

Because you may prefer some h/ps with tubes, and some with SS.

Because you may prefer some music with tubes, and some with SS.

Because having one amp that does both is a lot cheaper than buying two separate amps of comparable SQ.

Because you can can use the LISST devices when you're playing casual music, and save your pricey fancy tubes only for times when you are doing serious listening.

Because you would be hard-pressed to get better SQ for the price, whether you're looking for a tube amp or a SS amp.

Because it's some wonderfully ingenious Schiit !

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #22 of 27
Reviving thread.

I upgraded to the MJ2 from he Lyr 2 a few months back. I'd fallen in love with my Telefunken NOS 7DJ8's in the Lyr. The Orange Globes felt to bloomy, and I was loosing more detail than I like. With the MJ2 I prefer the Orange Globes. In the MJ2 the Tele's just make the amp sound like a slightly less resolving SS amp. The Orange Globes ad the much needed holographic feel to the relatively flat sound stage of the MJ2 while also adding some kind of magic to the MJ2's excellent dynamic punch. Both tubes extend well. I think Orange Globes are are bit more u shaped. Anyway both are worthy upgrades from stock.

May 25, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #23 of 27
Second revival. Really surprised this amp doesn't get much love here. Anyway, as for tube rolling I've tried quite a few by now and seem to actually prefer LISSTs for my dynamic cans (T1 2nd gen, 540 Golds) and tubes (Tesla ECC88/Amperex HP brand ECC88/Telefunken ECC88) for my planars (HE1k v1/HE560 SMC). I only used the stock tubes maybe once, which I found were a bit lacking in gain compared to these nicer vintage tubes. The major thing with the MJ2 seems to be just how rolled the treble becomes depending on the tube. LISSTs dont roll it at all, the Telefunkens maybe just barely pull it a bit down, the Amperex's roll the treble enough to A/B with, and the Teslas haven't had enough time with but should be similar to the Telefunken as the construction is the same.

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #24 of 27
Reviving thread.

I upgraded to the MJ2 from he Lyr 2 a few months back. I'd fallen in love with my Telefunken NOS 7DJ8's in the Lyr. The Orange Globes felt to bloomy, and I was loosing more detail than I like. With the MJ2 I prefer the Orange Globes. In the MJ2 the Tele's just make the amp sound like a slightly less resolving SS amp. The Orange Globes ad the much needed holographic feel to the relatively flat sound stage of the MJ2 while also adding some kind of magic to the MJ2's excellent dynamic punch. Both tubes extend well. I think Orange Globes are are bit more u shaped. Anyway both are worthy upgrades from stock.
Being as new to this whole tube rolling thing as I am and having just ordered my MJ2 and Gumby by orange globes do we mean Amperex tubes and if so what number would they be so I could order them? Thanks

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #25 of 27
Also do you guys find the Lisst tubes to be enjoyable from what I have been reading on other MJ2 threads people basically do nothing but hate on the lisst tubes?

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #26 of 27
Hi fellas,

Just a quick question, I have an MJ2 connected to an Yggy A2 via XLR.

I may need to use redirect the XLR outputs of the Yggy to the Freya.

The question that Im wondering is if the Ygg -> Mj2 via rca would lose any SQ going from balanced to unbalanced or none at all?

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #27 of 27
I just upgraded from a Mjolnir 1 to a 2 because I'm a tube guy. I design, build and repair guitar tube amplifiers and I love tube audio. I fired up the MJ2 last night and was disappointed. It seemed I lost some clarity compared to the the solid state MJ1. I let it burn in overnight but the tone was the same this morning. :frowning2:

I had a set of "Tests NOS Date Matched Pair Sylvania USA JAN-6DJ8 Silver Shield Tubes 100%" from vivatubes.com for $55 delivered to replace the factory tubes. I wasn't expecting much of a tonal difference because in my experience generic Sino tubes sound pretty good and the placebo effect runs amok in these rolling threads. Having said that, I have to say that $55 might be the best money I ever spent. As soon as I plugged in the Sylvania tubes the MJ2 came alive-I would definitely say it now sounds better than the MJ1. The clarity and detail are much better than with the stock tubes. If you get a Mjolnir 2 you owe it to yourself to spend a few dollars more for a tube upgrade.

Rob Robinette

Users who are viewing this thread

Back