Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Tube Rolling
Aug 16, 2015 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Barry S

1000+ Head-Fier

Mjolnir 2
Tube or Solid State Balanced Headphone Amplifier
Released August 15, 2015

So who's ordered a Mjolnir 2? I've been waiting for Schiit to release a balanced tube amp and am curious as to how much the signature can be changed with different tubes. Although I loved the Mjolnir when I owned one, it was too thin in the mids with the LCD-X for my taste. The Rag addressed that, but I always thought if the Mjolnir could be tuned a little more mid-centric--it would be amazing.

Aug 17, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 27
Amperex Orange Globe tubes sounded nice to me on the Lyr. Nice forward mids/vocals. Will be interesting to hear them in the Mjolinir2. 

Aug 17, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 27
I've got one on the way.

I know the site mentions that it will run the same tubes as the Lyr 2. I'm wondering what the heater current limit is and if any of the other tubes that worked with the Lyr, but exceeded the current limit on the Lyr 2 would also work here.

I'll email Schiit this morning and ask.

-Mike 

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 27
  Amperex Orange Globe tubes sounded nice to me on the Lyr. Nice forward mids/vocals. Will be interesting to hear them in the Mjolinir2. 

The Orange Globes were also my favorite tubes when I had a Lyr--and I've still got a pair squirreled away. Some of those warm, liquid mids combined with the Mjolnir's big soundstage would be impressive.

I've got one on the way.

I know the site mentions that it will run the same tubes as the Lyr 2. I'm wondering what the heater current limit is and if any of the other tubes that worked with the Lyr, but exceeded the current limit on the Lyr 2 would also work here.

I'll email Schiit this morning and ask.

-Mike 

Awesome! Do you currently have a Mjolnir 1 or a Lyr? Would love to hear some A/B comparisons against the Mjolnir 2. Have you got some tubes lined up? 

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 27
I just heard back from Nick @ Schiit.  415mA per tube is the max recommended heater current, which just barely rules out tubes like ECC85 that draw 435mA.

I have a Lyr 1 and had acquired quite a few boxes full of tubes that are compatible with it.  Nothing specific in mind to roll yet, but I'm sure I'll go through a bunch of them once the M2 gets here.

-Mike

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 27
I've also started a general listening impressions thread, so we can keep this one focused on tube rolling/comparisons.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/778250/schiit-mjolnir-2-listening-impressions

-Mike

Aug 26, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 27
Wow! super excited - have been a huge Lyr fan for a long while - wrote a big 17 6922/6n23p/CCa/E88CC/E188CC shootout based on the Lyr and my HD800/Moon Black Dragon V2.  Was looking at getting a Lyr 2 but have always heard great things about the HD800's with balanced.  This is the ticket!

I've had great success with the vintage 70's Russian 6n23p.  Here is the link to my review.

Cheers!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/761078/6922-tube-review-17-top-6922-6n23p-e88cc-cca-7308-e188cc-tubes

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 27
Just got my Mjolnir 2 today, ordered it with LISST, now ready to add some tubes.

50/50 mix between using it as a preamp to active monitor speakers vs headphone usage (Hifiman HE-400, AKG 701).

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 27
Just got some (East?) German Amperex Orange Globes.  Took out the LISST and put them in.  So far so good, better than the LISST, but not as 'tubey' sounding as some of my other tube/hybrid gear. I don't know if it's the topology making the MJ2 less sensitive to tube changes, or if the Orange Globes are just a really neutral tube.

Before I go nutso, I think I'll try some modern production JJ's....

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 27
I just ordered a Mjolnir 2 with LSST only as I have a nice selection of 6922 type tubes to roll.  I can't wait to try it.

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #12 of 27
I just ordered a Mjolnir 2 with LSST only as I have a nice selection of 6922 type tubes to roll.  I can't wait to try it.

Sweet the Mjolnir 2 is a great amp. And I used my LSST to burn in my headphones. I hope your new amp puts a big old smile on your face. Also I hope you have a great year.:)

Jan 23, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #14 of 27
Set up the MJ2 today.  I absolutely love it.  After an initial tube rolling session using my precious favorite sounding Gold Lions, and a set of 1964 Amperex White Labels, I was shocked and surprised that with my MrSpeakers Ether-C I actually prefer the sound of the LISST devices.  Wow.  I am suddenly a solid state fan.

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #15 of 27
  Set up the MJ2 today.  I absolutely love it.  After an initial tube rolling session using my precious favorite sounding Gold Lions, and a set of 1964 Amperex White Labels, I was shocked and surprised that with my MrSpeakers Ether-C I actually prefer the sound of the LISST devices.  Wow.  I am suddenly a solid state fan.

Time for an Asgard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back