Schiit 'Magnius' - new $199 fully balanced headphone amp
Aug 21, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #77 of 226
He also mentioned that he would get Asguard 3 :p I ordered asguard 3 and modeius.....will be delivered next week.
I have owned the Modius since it was made available and prefer it over the Modi multibit, Modi 3, Bifrost multibit, and Bifrost 4490. Unreal for $200. I've used a Magni 3+ and Neve RNHP amps with it and both sound great but I saw an Asgard 2 on Ebay for a hundred bucks so I ordered it. What the heck!

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #78 of 226
I have owned the Modius since it was made available and prefer it over the Modi multibit, Modi 3, Bifrost multibit, and Bifrost 4490. Unreal for $200. I've used a Magni 3+ and Neve RNHP amps with it and both sound great but I saw an Asgard 2 on Ebay for a hundred bucks so I ordered it. What the heck!
Thanks for confirming the Modius might. I currently have modi 3. Well you can always sell asgard 2 if you are not satifised. It is still a good amp. It is a hard decision. I cancelled my order 3 times and finally got this combo. Issue with peope in Australia is the cost of postage is $140. Posting it back to shiit is not worth the cost.

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #79 of 226
Thanks for confirming the Modius might. I currently have modi 3. Well you can always sell asgard 2 if you are not satifised. It is still a good amp. It is a hard decision. I cancelled my order 3 times and finally got this combo. Issue with peope in Australia is the cost of postage is $140. Posting it back to shiit is not worth the cost.
You can't beat the Modi 3 for a hundred bucks but I personally think that Modius is a much better sounding DAC. Especially when it's only a $100 more.

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #80 of 226
He also mentioned that he would get Asguard 3 :p I ordered asguard 3 and modeius.....will be delivered next week.
Sure but its soo open ended. No explanation as to why. What is his reasoning for a statement like that, then leaving it at a cliff hanger there.

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #81 of 226
Even the Magnius puts down more power in balanced mode then Asgard does. I mean its a 1 full watt of power verses .6 watts. May not seem like a lot but to me and comparing it to an amp that similarly powered into 300 ohms. The Magnius can control the driver with more precision. Not saying you made a bad choice all schiit is really good, I guess I have always like a balanced HD6/7/8 vs the same headphone in SE mode.

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #82 of 226

Don't worry too much about the postage cost. I've bought both the Modius and Magnius direct for around A$370 each delivered via FedEx Int Priority. Local distributor here in Australia has the Asgard 3 listed for A$530. A saving I'm happy with. Magnius only took 4 days to get here as well!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #83 of 226
You're right, I can always sell the Asgard 2 for what I paid for it. I'm sure I'll buy a Magnius sooner or later for the balanced input, if I like the Asgard 2 I'll keep it around too.

Aug 21, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #84 of 226
Don't worry too much about the postage cost. I've bought both the Modius and Magnius direct for around A$370 each delivered via FedEx Int Priority. Local distributor here in Australia has the Asgard 3 listed for A$530. A saving I'm happy with. Magnius only took 4 days to get here as well!
Totally agree, I'll be happy to take that saving as well, and even if I have to send it back to LA for any issue, its still $$ saved. Oh, and the local distributor doesnt know when they'll get Modius or Magnius in country, so if you want one of those there is only one choice atm.

Aug 21, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #85 of 226
Even the Magnius puts down more power in balanced mode then Asgard does. I mean its a 1 full watt of power verses .6 watts. May not seem like a lot but to me and comparing it to an amp that similarly powered into 300 ohms. The Magnius can control the driver with more precision. Not saying you made a bad choice all schiit is really good, I guess I have always like a balanced HD6/7/8 vs the same headphone in SE mode.
Man i am not really in to numbers. Forgive my ignorance but i would look at it sum of it parts rather than looking good on paper. It is how they have implemented it to make music more enjoyable and for me more forgiving regardless of the source. but i understand it is relative

Aug 21, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #86 of 226
Exactly what i saw before ordering it in. Addicted to audio is charging more and they would send it back to schiit incase there are any issues.

Aug 21, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #87 of 226
In my limited research magnius will cost me $370 which will only be worth it if i use balanced xlr output. I would rather get the topping a90 amp (costs Aus$750). It is more superior than magnus on paper. Plus you can use three inputs, xlr, balanced aux and SE.

Aug 21, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #88 of 226
In my limited research magnius will cost me $370 which will only be worth it if i use balanced xlr output. I would rather get the topping a90 amp (costs Aus$750). It is more superior than magnus on paper. Plus you can use three inputs, xlr, balanced aux and SE.
If you can afford the A90 go for it. This is a 4th system in the house for me so didn't want to spend too much. Both my 'phones are balanced so the Magnius works perfectly for my needs.

Aug 22, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #89 of 226
If you can afford the A90 go for it. This is a 4th system in the house for me so didn't want to spend too much. Both my 'phones are balanced so the Magnius works perfectly for my needs.
Well think this is fine for now. It will also give the room to explore. Plus i have ordered a custum based headphone (HD660s) wire from this guy in Melbourne. I will get it next week. Lets see if it is worth it. Fingers crossed

Aug 22, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #90 of 226
I sold my A90 for the Magnius I don't regret it for a minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back