Schiit 'Magnius' - new $199 fully balanced headphone amp
Aug 24, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #106 of 226
I felt that way too. I didn’t like the Magnius in SE (with SE inputs). Don’t get me wrong, if I didn’t have the Asgard or THX to compare it to, it would have been fine. But out of those three, in SE, it was the clear loser to me (with Focal Elex and HD650s)
Does anyone else feel Magnius in SE mode is... flat? I've got some new HP and XLR cables on the way to see if it makes sense moving fully balanced or if I should be returning the unit and considering different amplification. Any guidance on burn-in? I'll keep the amp fed with music for a few days and revisit just to double check. Just frustrating because I have an old pair of SE Sennheisers (HD555) that I love and want to keep using on top of some other cans I have where a choice to swap cables.

That being said - Modius into my Periodic Audio Nickel (and using digital volume control via Audirvana) sounds excellent. Great DAC.

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #109 of 226
That sharpness and thin sound from the 789 goes away when you pair it with the Bifrost 2. You didn't try them both together, right? I didn't like the 789 until the day I paired with the B2.
I don’t think I had the BF2 and 789 at the same time. The modius sounds similar imo so it’s not surprising.

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #111 of 226
I don’t think I had the BF2 and 789 at the same time. The modius sounds similar imo so it’s not surprising.
I had a THX amp here and I can see how a modius would make the sound a little less harsh.....probably a nice combination but the matching Magnius would still be my choice here....and some nice high resolving cans like those Grados or Beyers that are on the "bright" side....

One thing that came across my mind as I listened to the video review posted, is the Magnius is a very good amp, in that using it you will be able to tell how the upstream "gear" is working. In my use case I could here differences in dacs. With crazy good specs, this is possible.

Spec wise yes its better that a Jotenhiem, but I would not trade my Jot for this amp, and even though the reference to the dac in a Jot is well....you can easily pair it with a Bifrost 2 or Modius in balanced or SE mode....name your posion.

Alex

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #113 of 226

I think he does a great job of actually articulating who this amp is for, and where it sits in the schiit line up.

I agree completely with him, If you have a great amp no need to move to this amp. If you want to go balanced great amp to get. Its better then the Jot w/dac. If you want to stay in SE get the Asgard or Heresy.

Aug 25, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #114 of 226
Remember, the Magnius has no dac so to compare a Magnius to a Jot with an internal dac isnt quite an apples to apples to comparison. Spec wise the Magnius has great "numbers" compared to many amp including the amp in Jot.

I compared the Magnius to the Jot as well as a Lyr 3....either amp IMO provides an awesome listening experince more dependant on your source material and actual transducer or headphone...

Its an excellent amp.

Aug 27, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #115 of 226
Hello y’all. Am new here, but not to hifi. I’m in the process of slowly rebuilding a comprehensive system (used to have a nice McIntosh setup so I have a decent frame of reference for quality sound), and starting first with the headphone/DAC/turntable route. Thoughts on the Magnius vs. a 789 for a pair of HD800S? Or any other suggestions? Small budget obviously for this component; of course I’ll upgrade in time and give these cans what they deserve. But at the moment looking to simply enjoy music again; either via vinyl or Tidal. Thanks! P.S. For any curious, a sports car hobby took and is still taking most of my disposable money! Ha. Beware of the power of real horsepower...

Aug 27, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #116 of 226
Welcome "K".....Sports card eh! Nice....I Used to drag race corvettes, race around various racetracks on motorcycles etc...grew up in the 60 and experienced the "muscle" car horsepower race between the variou smanufacturers!

Back to those amps, I have or had both here and the HD800s.

I would put my money on the Magnius, its better build and has the horsepower for most any headphone, THe HD 800s is very efficient and even at its high impedance most amps will drive it well....and the Magnius would do just fine. There are many choices here and easy to get lost in the hype etc...

The other thing to think about is a dac that will work well too.

The Modius is made to match the Magnius and also works well...depending on how critical a listener you are I highly recommend a Bifrost 2 if your budget can afford it...Its one of the world of Hi-Fi's best buy.....

Good luck with your journey!

All the best and Welcome!

Alex

Aug 27, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #117 of 226
Hello y’all. Am new here, but not to hifi. I’m in the process of slowly rebuilding a comprehensive system (used to have a nice McIntosh setup so I have a decent frame of reference for quality sound), and starting first with the headphone/DAC/turntable route. Thoughts on the Magnius vs. a 789 for a pair of HD800S? Or any other suggestions? Small budget obviously for this component; of course I’ll upgrade in time and give these cans what they deserve. But at the moment looking to simply enjoy music again; either via vinyl or Tidal. Thanks! P.S. For any curious, a sports car hobby took and is still taking most of my disposable money! Ha. Beware of the power of real horsepower...
Beware the power of grip! For my racing history the greatest gains were in rubber and suspension. But auto-x doesn’t care much about anything but low end torque and proper gear changes 🤣.

that said, I’ve had both 789 and magnius, I think they’re both great, but magnius sounds better to my ear and is cheaper. Seems like a no brainer.

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #118 of 226
Thanks for the responses! Glad to see fellow car nuts on here. Yes - tires and suspension are key factors in performance on track! Seems like the Magnius is the way to go; it’s the direction I was leaning, but wanted to make sure.

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #119 of 226
Bit of a car nut as well but "its just a civic" all well.

I have the magnius good amp, hd800 will sound good on it as well.
DSC07855.JPGDSC07863.JPGDSC07870.JPGDSC07851.JPG

Aug 27, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #120 of 226
Remember, the Magnius has no dac so to compare a Magnius to a Jot with an internal dac isnt quite an apples to apples to comparison. Spec wise the Magnius has great "numbers" compared to many amp including the amp in Jot.

I compared the Magnius to the Jot as well as a Lyr 3....either amp IMO provides an awesome listening experince more dependant on your source material and actual transducer or headphone...

Its an excellent amp.
I'd love to see a more detailed comparison between the Lyr 3 and the Magnius - such different types of amps... I don't have a Lyr, but I do have a Valhalla 2 and sometimes the slightly softer sound is preferable, sometimes it's not...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back