Schiit Magni vs Vali. Which is better?
Dec 3, 2013 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

NguyenAdam

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get an amp really soon and I'm looking at these two. I can see these two amps are receiving pretty good reviews as of late, but I haven't read anyone comparing the two. Can anyone list some pros and con's for each with my particular setup?

All I have as of now is the DT 990 and the Asus Xonar DS. I read that since I play FPS a lot and need the directional sound that I should stay away from a DAC and keep the sound card?

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 8
I vote to keep the sound card and get the Schiit Vali.

Or swap the Xonar DS and get the Sound Blaster Z (SB1500, retail box), sound card, $69.99

The Z's SBX software might be better for FPS gaming, then the Xonar DS's DTS software.
The Z comes with a better DAC chip then the DS,
but the Z's headphone amplifier would not be considered as good as the Schiit Vali.

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 8
Is there any particular reason why I should get the Valid instead of the Magni?

Some people have noticed improvement for Beyers when used with a tube.
But the Magni should have no problem with 250-Ohm headphones.

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 8
Just beware that the Vali is less versatile than the Magni since it has less maximum power and higher output impedance. Still, you can't go wrong with any at such a steal price.

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 8
I have the Dt990 pro myself and have them paired with a Vali/Modi combo; the synergy is great!!! Also, directional sound is not an issue for me as i play battlefield 4 a lot. Just get the Vali if you don't wana spend on a standalone DAC. And FYI, the strident highs are tamed with the tube sound of the Vali! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back