Schiit Magni Volume Output
Apr 11, 2014 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ajm

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I received my Schiit Magni about a week ago. My current setup is computer> Jolida glass fx dac mini> Schiit Magni > Sennheiser HD600. Now I let the Magni run for a couple of days straight. I bought it be to able to drive and try electrostatics. Now my problem being when I listen to mh HD600's I have the volume all the way turned up 5 o'clock on my Magni and it's slightly quieter than what I would normally listen and I don't listen ridiciously loud. Now I have tried making sure all my connections are good and that my volume is at 100% on my computer which it is. I then tried to switch to my Bravo Audio V3 and I listen to it at 10 o'clock. So clearly something must be wrong with the Schiit Magni as it should be unbearable as a powerful little amp all the way turned up. Has anyone had this problem or could give me some suggestions?

Thanks

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 20
I struggle to get mine past 12 so something really must of gone wrong,

I thought electrostatics required electrostatic amps? tbh dont know much about them but i allways thought they needed a specific amp type.

Are you perhaps talking about Orthos/Planar Magnetics?

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 20
I just tried connecting my Magni to a cd player and now I can't get it past 11 so it was definitely the source. I meant Planars lol. Now how can I get more volume out of hooking it up to my computer? I currently use Media Monkey.

Apr 12, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 20
Hmm have you gone into control panel/sound and made sure that your source in the device list is on Max volume?

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 20
how is your dac connected to the PC?

Optical or USB?

Apr 15, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 20
Tbh the only thing that I know that it could be is some artificial volume limit on the computer.

Sometimes USB DACs don't like being plugged into USB 3, is yours in a USB 2 port?

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 20
I just tried another music player and now instead of listening at 5 I can listen at 3 o clock with the new player. So it doesn't restrict volume as much but it must be my dac. Getting another dac within a week and hopefully that'll solve my problem.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #12 of 20
Just a bit of compiled data:
The Jolida has a max output of 3.1Volts p-p (~1Vrms) and no listing for output impedance (we can assume very large)
The Magni has a gain of 14dB and +/-15Vdc rails, also no listing of input impedance (we will also assume very large)
That means that at full-throw, the Jolida will be driving the Magni enough to output full range. This is fine, and doesn't appear to be damaging in any way. I would say that you should plug the Jolida into another amplifier (home audio receiver, something) and see if the output is severely attenuated. If so, the Jolida might be giving you problems.

Was this setup ever working before?

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #13 of 20
  I just tried another music player and now instead of listening at 5 I can listen at 3 o clock with the new player. So it doesn't restrict volume as much but it must be my dac. Getting another dac within a week and hopefully that'll solve my problem.

Let us know how it works out.

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 20
I listen to the he500 via the modi and magni and I just go up to 12 with most music. Sometimes it reaches 2 o clock for quiet ones like jazz or classical.

Something must be wrong. I use a mac and USB.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back