Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jan 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #781 of 2,252
Anyone else having trouble with the limited gain/volume range? Maybe everyone is using higher resistance headphones than I am (see my sig), but I don't have a lot of room to play with the volume between channel imbalance on the low side (7 o'clock) and super loud on the high side (8 o'clock).

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #782 of 2,252
Quote:
Anyone else having trouble with the limited gain/volume range? Maybe everyone is using higher resistance headphones than I am (see my sig), but I don't have a lot of room to play with the volume between channel imbalance on the low side and super loud on the high side.

No problem with the HD600, which of course is 300 ohms! If I'm listening to classical pieces, which have escaped loudness wars, I can get up to nearly noon without them being too loud. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #783 of 2,252
I'm using mad dog's and got the magni/modi today. I have my windows volume on 30% and comfortable volume with the magni is around 9-10 on the volume pot. Overall, I'm extremely happy with it so far, everything sounds much clearer vs onboard (which is what i came from) and more natural.

The only thing is that both the modi/magni did not come with the stick on feet
blink.gif
so I sent an email regarding that.

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #784 of 2,252
I bought some K240 sextetts off ebay, $75 shipped, and they arrived today. So I hooked them up to the Magni to test.

Quick early comment; this is good, very good. Better than $175 has a right to sound. Rich, vibrant mids, with taut, full bass. The highs are rolled off some, but that's a characteristic of the sextetts, because it's the same with my Zodiac Gold. I'm impressed, this is a nice combo.

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #785 of 2,252
No problem with the HD600, which of course is 300 ohms! If I'm listening to classical pieces, which have escaped loudness wars, I can get up to nearly noon without them being too loud. 

imackler.. how does the HD600's bass sound to you with the M/M ?  It's unusually flat sounding to my ears.  I don't mean linearity.. it's quite linear.. but it lacks some expected punch and depth.  Swapping between the Magni & the O2, I hear a somewhat significant difference in bass impact (with the O2 providing bass that's more full and "weighty" sounding).  In my case, this is only apparent on the HD600.  Interesting.. will need to do more listening..

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #786 of 2,252
Quote:

imackler.. how does the HD600's bass sound to you with the M/M ?  It's unusually flat sounding to my ears.  I don't mean linearity.. it's quite linear.. but it lacks some expected punch and depth.  Swapping between the Magni & the O2, I hear a somewhat significant difference in bass impact (with the O2 providing bass that's more full and "weighty" sounding).  In my case, this is only apparent on the HD600.  Interesting.. will need to do more listening..

I'll have to do some more listening and get back to you. Flat might be a good description. I just keep finding myself switching to my portable Neco Soundlab V.3, though, even after resolving to keep the Magni. I actually had packed up the Magni, and then brought it back out to spend more time with it, and was just underwhelmed yesterday... I'll get back to listening to it tomorrow. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #787 of 2,252
I bought some K240 sextetts off ebay, $75 shipped, and they arrived today. So I hooked them up to the Magni to test.
Quick early comment; this is good, very good. Better than $175 has a right to sound. Rich, vibrant mids, with taut, full bass. The highs are rolled off some, but that's a characteristic of the sextetts, because it's the same with my Zodiac Gold. I'm impressed, this is a nice combo.

This is the 2nd magni/modi post to make me miss my sextets. Get behind me Satan!

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #788 of 2,252
Quote:

I have experienced something similar with my HD650's. The bass just doesn't have that expected punch in some areas that i am familiar with in my go to songs. But I mostly blame this on coming from my JDS Labs C421 with it's bass boost feature and gain switch. Really pushes out the bass when you want it to. I really would like a bit more of a punch from the M/M but that is just personal preference really. Other than that though i am really loving the stack. Has brought out a lot more detail in songs than what my C421 (was my only amp until a few days ago) could. Extremely happy with the purchase. Can't go wrong in my opinion, FWIW. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #789 of 2,252
Quote:
I have experienced something similar with my HD650's. The bass just doesn't have that expected punch in some areas that i am familiar with in my go to songs. But I mostly blame this on coming from my JDS Labs C421 with it's bass boost feature and gain switch. Really pushes out the bass when you want it to. I really would like a bit more of a punch from the M/M but that is just personal preference really. Other than that though i am really loving the stack. Has brought out a lot more detail in songs than what my C421 (was my only amp until a few days ago) could. Extremely happy with the purchase. Can't go wrong in my opinion, FWIW. 

Just use a software EQ, they're built into just about any media player. A bass boost switch is nothing more than what a loudness switch is on a receiver or integrated amp, and that's nothing more than a hardware EQ of the Usually ~50-60 Hz frequencies.

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #790 of 2,252
Hoping to Purchase the magni for use in Australia, does anyone know whether this converter would work? If not could someone link me to one that would please. 

http://www.korjo.com/Product-Range/Adaptors---Transformers/Step-Down-Transformer-(SDT-98).aspx

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #791 of 2,252
Quote:
Hoping to Purchase the magni for use in Australia, does anyone know whether this converter would work? If not could someone link me to one that would please. 

http://www.korjo.com/Product-Range/Adaptors---Transformers/Step-Down-Transformer-(SDT-98).aspx

There's been several people asking but not many answers. You should skim through some of the previous pages or search for converter or transformer if you haven't already done so. It would be awesome if you could find someone who already has one! 

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #792 of 2,252
Quote:

Peter, have you found an alternative power supply ('wall wart') for the Magni? The one supplied is US 110v only - isn't Norway the standard 220v?

There was some discussion on alternative EU safe adapters, this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/390121830472?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 on eBay was mentioned.

Let me know as I'm keen to order the M&M combo but have been holding off due to the power issue.

My Magni has arrived and I've hooked it up using the existing power supply and this step down converter and it woks like a charm.

Hopefully this will be to help for someone.

040068.jpg

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #793 of 2,252
Quote:

i sent schiit an email asking if there was a specific kind of converter. this is the answer i got: "It has to be one with a transformer (heavy) not a chopper (light.) This is what we use: http://www.amazon.com/Goldsource-STU-100-Voltage-Transformer-Converter/dp/B0022TSC5C/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1357745587&sr=8-7&keywords=110%2F220+converter"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back