Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 18, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #256 of 2,252
Quote:
 "Asgard and Bifrost murder the Modi and Magni", whatever that means. I'm tempted to pick one up myself just to see how they would sound.

Of course it would, it will be a poor marketing strategy to make something cheaper and more powerful then your higher-end offerings. What Jason meant is that the Modi and Magni are strictly budget line offerings from them. If you want something better you look up to the Bifrost and Asgards, Ganja and Majunior.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #257 of 2,252
Quote:
Headphone stand was $40 shipped on the bay. Interconnects are not supplied--the margin has got to be really thin on this Schiit

WOW! Looks like an Omega which is $175 USD 
frown.gif

Got a web link, please? 
L3000.gif

TIA - Rich

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #259 of 2,252
Well, KStuart guessed that the Magni would be roughly comparable to the C421 (which he had not heard).  As I am making my initial impressions (using my HD650, HD660 and dacport lx), having heard the C421, I can say that isn't true.  The C421 has a noticeable bigger sound-stage than the Magni.  The first time I switched from the cMoy to the C421, it was a huge difference.  When switching from the cMoy to the Magni, the sound-stages are roughly comparable.  It feels a little more detailed than the cMoy, but that could be from the fact it is brighter than the cMoy and pushes the treble forward a bit more.  It feels a bit less congested than the cMoy, but I don't feel it is a night and day difference.  At this point, the Magni only has about 19 hours on it, so I will keep it going to see if any changes occur.  I plan on listening to the Magni solely for the next week, and really get used to it.  Then I will switch back to the cMoy to see if any new differences have presented themselves.  Early verdict: A nice $99 amp.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #260 of 2,252
I don't buy into the asgard and bifrost 'murdering' the magni/modi.  In the world of amps and dacs, nothing murders anything.  These aren't headphones.  Jason's using a little bit of hyperbole to help you along your choice to spend more money.  Notice how he didn't put 'asgard murders magni' in the magni description page?  Because if he did it'd be bad marketing.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #261 of 2,252
Quote:
I don't buy into the asgard and bifrost 'murdering' the magni/modi.  In the world of amps and dacs, nothing murders anything.  These aren't headphones.  Jason's using a little bit of hyperbole to help you along your choice to spend more money.  Notice how he didn't put 'asgard murders magni' in the magni description page?  Because if he did it'd be bad marketing.

And that's exactly why I ordered the stack so I can test them myself...if it ever ships :/

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #262 of 2,252
Quote:
WOW! Looks like an Omega which is $175 USD 
frown.gif

Got a web link, please? 
L3000.gif

TIA - Rich

I don't think you can get them anymore.  The post was deleted from eBay.  The seller still offers other stuff.  Either he is out of stock, or he got nailed with patent claims from the real McCoy...  Sorry

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #263 of 2,252
Of course it would, it will be a poor marketing strategy to make something cheaper and more powerful then your higher-end offerings. What Jason meant is that the Modi and Magni are strictly budget line offerings from them. If you want something better you look up to the Bifrost and Asgards, Ganja and Majunior.

Ganja??? Is Schiit moving away from naming their products after figures from Norse mythology and moving on to Rasta nomenclature??? HAHAHAHA!!!! I want one. :D

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #264 of 2,252

Exactly. While I'm looking forward to putting the Magni/Modi up against my Asgard/VDA-1, I'm not anticipating any bloodshed.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #270 of 2,252
Quote:
Quote:
 "Asgard and Bifrost murder the Modi and Magni", whatever that means. I'm tempted to pick one up myself just to see how they would sound.

Of course it would, it will be a poor marketing strategy to make something cheaper and more powerful then your higher-end offerings.

Actually, not necessarily.  Clearly, all 4 products are being sold at some particular profit margin.   If the new super cheap products were just as good as the expensive ones, then they would sell far better, since they would take market share away from other makers.   The total profit could be more.

For example, if the net profit on one Asgard is 3 times the net profit on a Magni (just a guess), then if they sold 10 times as many Magni's, then they would make more money selling Magni's than Asgards - even if they no longer could sell Asgards because the Magni was considered just as good.

So, I think that in the below $1000 price range, the prices are really based on the costs, rather than pricing based on sound quality, in other words it is unlikely that they said "this Asgard sounds as good as other $250 amps, so that is our price".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back