Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jan 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #1,066 of 2,252
Quote:
ok did a little more research looks like problem might be that I am operating with two grounds essentially.  The cable box going to my powerstrip is grounded to AC outlet and then when I connect it via RCA to my magni, it is also being grounded via the wall wart?  Or is this not possible since the magni wart is only 2 prong? I tried plugging both magni and cable box into same power strip and no difference. I will try plugging cablebox straight into the wall and not a strip.

Try this real quick: Just disconnect the cable from the cable box. And by that I mean the cable company's cable that's feeding the cable box.

se

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #1,068 of 2,252
hmm i was playing around a bit and i realized that it's from my powerline adapter
im on the 3rd floor of my house and the router is downstairs so i use powerline networking to get good internet speeds
it seems the static happens everytime something is loading

Yea i use my magni with my pc most of the day and the powerline adapter i was using caused serious static when plugged into same circuit as my magni so i has to stick the magni wall wart on the other side of the room. Tis helped 90% of it but i could still hear static when downloading stuff i guess the ethernet was transferring static via usb and then to magni so I finally moved the powerline to another room and attached a wireless router to it.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #1,069 of 2,252
My other question is this: Could I use an iPad 4 as my source somehow, rather than my laptop, for this rig? Concerned because the DAC runs off USB power, and would therefore need to somehow plug in the iPad to a power source (via the lightning connection) while simultaneously getting the line-out signal from it (also via the lightning connection). 

I use my iPad2 and CCK to the Modi with no problem, it works great.

Btw - I got my Magni in Friday, and it's a great little amp. For my HE-400's it stays around 10 o'clock , with no problems with channel imbalance. Depending on source/HP 's I'm using, I stay between, 9 and 12. Good, clean sound, great design/form factor. Love'm!

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #1,070 of 2,252
Quote:

So the behavior I explained in my previous post (comparing with E9) is perfectly normal is that what you are suggesting ?

Yeah, higher gain means higher output level at same volume control position.

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #1,071 of 2,252
How does this stack compare to the HiFiman EF2A?
I'm pretty happy with the sound I'm getting from the EF2A- but I want to run some 24bit stuff.
My concern going SS vs Tubes is losing the smooth warm sound I like.

I have a pair of Ultrasones pro 900 and a pair of HD 598's.

So- worth a try out or skip it and stay with HiFiman?

Unfortunately I'm on a budget.

Thanks.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #1,072 of 2,252
Quote:
Re 1, oh sorry I was thinking in terms of headphone amps with gain option where clipping doesn't occur, at least not with 600 ohm loads.

Into 600 ohms, my Magni begins to visibly clip at just a hair over 13 volts peak. So now, given a 2 VRMS source, if you wanted to be able to turn the volume up all the way and be a bit shy of clipping, the "ideal" gain would be about 13.25 dB, or a gain of about 4.6. To put that into perspective, with the Magni's gain of 5, Jason "overshot" the gain by a WHOPPING... 0.75dB.

Personally I think the Magni, with its 15 volt rails, a gain of 5 pretty much spot on nails it.

se

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #1,073 of 2,252
You're right, it's close enough to not clipping. Still not a fan of the 5x gain.
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #1,075 of 2,252
I'm just curious, but what is the toughest headphone you've all had to drive with a solid state amp? Have you ever had to go past 75% on ANY amp?
Did anyone try the K1000 on the Magni?

I've read the K501 is one of the hardest, but people come up with this stuff all the time. Then this idea that the HD-650 is sooooo hard to drive and sound good.
Like I read some nonsense yesterday how some Burson $1000 amp didn't have enough power for it. Are you kidding me?

I still remember people saying the K702 isn't worth it without a $400+ amp. As if price meant anything..

What level of volume does some of the Hifiman stuff require on the Magni? About 99%? If it's over 75% i'll be shocked. Not that volume means anything.

NOTHING I have goes over 45% volume. Not the K601 or Sextett.

What was the hardest Hifiman headphone to drive? I guess I can do a search, but I forget. I'd like to try that with my Micro Amp, Magni and E9 just for a laugh.

I can't wait to see if someone tries the HD-800 on the Magni. People will just say it's 100% INCOMPATIBLE. No SOUND! Don't forget the HD-800's requirements on the box are an amp that costs at least $1000 to sound "good".
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #1,077 of 2,252
I'm just curious, but what is the toughest headphone you've all had to drive with a solid state amp? Have you ever had to go past 75% on ANY amp?

I've read the K501 is one of the hardest, but people come up with this stuff all the time. Then this idea that the HD-650 is sooooo hard to drive and sound good.
Like I read some nonsense yesterday how some Burson $1000 amp didn't have enough power for it. Are you kidding me?

I still remember people saying the K702 isn't worth it without a $400+ amp. As if price meant anything..

What level of volume does some of the Hifiman stuff require on the Magni? About 99%? If it's over 75% i'll be shocked. Not that volume means anything.

What was the hardest Hifiman headphone to drive? I guess I can do a search, but I forget. I'd like to try that with my Micro Amp, Magni and E9 just for a laugh.

I can't wait to see if someone tries the HD-800 on the Magni. People will just say it's 100% INCOMPATIBLE. No SOUND! Don't forget the HD-800's requirements on the box are an amp that costs at least $1000 to sound "good". :D

Tried both K1000 and HE-6 (most power-hungry Hifiman) at the Charlotte meet. With the K1000 I was listening around 12 and really liked how it sounded. I think with the HE-6 I had the volume control a little lower but I'm not positive.

I did however have to actually set Windows' volume to 100% for both of them, unlike with my other cans.

HD800 also sounded good out of it :)

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #1,078 of 2,252
Haven't really done any A/B testing yet due to time constraints/issues with the fiancee's schedule, but I'm convinced that I cannot hear a difference in sound quality with the attenuators on and I REALLY appreciate/enjoy the extra travel on the volume pot with them in. They will not be leaving my Magni.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #1,079 of 2,252
Quote:

I can't wait to see if someone tries the HD-800 on the Magni. People will just say it's 100% INCOMPATIBLE. No SOUND! Don't forget the HD-800's requirements on the box are an amp that costs at least $1000 to sound "good".
biggrin.gif

This has to be the most reasonable post I've read in a long time.

Most headphones don't need more than a milliwatt to get loud.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #1,080 of 2,252
This has to be the most reasonable post I've read in a long time.

Most headphones don't need more than a milliwatt to get loud.

Yea they may get "loud" with that much power but wont have any bass impact and will sound poor in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back