Schiit Magni 3 vs Schiit Vali 2
May 23, 2018 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Grado Diesel

100+ Head-Fier
Late last year I purchased a brand new Magni 3 because I was kinda interested in the new volume potentiometer and also in hearing a pure solid state amp. Right outta the box I was blown away by the Magni 3’s wide soundstage and extra detail to the bass guitar that it provided. However it also seemed to accentuate or at least make the highs more noticeable which also made it a little fatiguing to my ears so I’ve put it in hibernation since at least December. I also own a Vali 2 that’s been my main rig at work, with a Genalex Golden Lion 12AX7. Today I decided to bust out the Magni 3 again and with at a second glance I’ve noticed the midrange frequencies tend to be a little bit harsh on certain tracks. I’m hearing this particularly in lead guitar parts on Dark Side of The Moon and Led Zeppelin I. Has anyone else experienced harsh mids?
For my system I’m using a FiiO X3 2nd gen into the Magni 3 into HIFIMAN HE-400i.

May 24, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 3
I never noticed a harshness in the mids that I could pin on my Magni 3, it has more to do with the headphone I am using imho. Maybe the harshness is from your DAC that you use at home?

I live near Schiit and went there to by my stack. I brought my headphones and was able to jump back and forth between the Magni 3 and Vali 2 and honestly, they both sounded so close, that I choose the Magni 3.....but, I might grab a Vali 2 to try some tube rolling.

May 25, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 3
I never noticed a harshness in the mids that I could pin on my Magni 3, it has more to do with the headphone I am using imho. Maybe the harshness is from your DAC that you use at home?

I live near Schiit and went there to by my stack. I brought my headphones and was able to jump back and forth between the Magni 3 and Vali 2 and honestly, they both sounded so close, that I choose the Magni 3.....but, I might grab a Vali 2 to try some tube rolling.
They do sound real close. I’m using the built in DAC in my FiiO. I think it’s the Genelec Golden Lion that’s smoothening the mids. It’s so sweet and tailored to guitar heavy rock’n’roll. Now when I think about it, the original cheap tube that came in the Vali 2 was kind of harsh, especially in the highs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back