Schiit Magni 3+ and Magni Heresy - Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #377 of 395
Yea I think this is a really great solid state sound. Determining what I would need to pay for a different sound is difficult because there are so many different opinions. Then there’s also the point that just because something is different - doesn’t mean it’s better. You could make the argument one way to go is a couple different headphones for when you want to favor soundstage and more intimate for example. But then there’s also tube and no tube, do dacs matter at all ? Maybe but maybe only when they are changing the sound to sound more analogue? (Not saying there aren’t small differences) It’s hard to have any working theories with all the different things you read. You could be convinced of one path and then someone says that’s not true at all for them.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #379 of 395
I asked because only HD6XX are so capricious to amplification, all others from my collection work fine with Magni 3+.
What did you notice with that set up?

Sep 12, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #381 of 395
Thanks! I’ll definitely consider that soon.

Oct 3, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #384 of 395
P=U2/R
U=SQR(P*R)=SQR(0.215*600)=11V
?

Thank you.

The reason I ask, is because from what I've gathered for high impedance headphones voltage swing(and to an extent high amplifier output impedance) is what matters more than current(mW).

Everyone thinks the DT 880 and 990 need hundreds of mW of current, but they don't. Beyers own website says they take a maximum of 100 mW.

What really opens them up is high voltage swing capacity, and to an uncertain(to me) extent, higher amplifier output impedance.

Oct 22, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #385 of 395
Random thoughts about Magni 3+ today:
This amp setup with my Modius and HD600 is amazing! I think about updating to a different amp all the time, but it's amazing how good this thing is still. Thoughts...

I read some reviews that said the Magni 3 is better in high gain, and maybe it's placebo, but I'm starting to agree. It's almost like the instruments and overall sound is less cluttered. Again, could just be a good day where I'm feeling good and everything sounds amazing.

Here is what I recommend with this amp with the HD600, add a low shelf EQ. It fixes the lack of bass impact this headphone has and sounds incredible in my rig. Might not be ideal for Jazz or Orchestral, but sounds nearly perfect with other kinds of music. I do a preamp -3.0 dB with a LOW shelf: 75 Freq., Gain: 3.0 dB. Then use high gain on the Magni 3+ and I like the dial at around 10 or 11 o'clock (obviously depends on the song/album as this is just a general guide). This is the shiz or Schiit. Whatever you prefer. Enjoy!!

I found this EQ suggestion from a forum post in the audio science forums and I think it's the key find for this headphone setup.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #387 of 395
Have you tried something else?
Ha not yet. I'm trying to make that decision. Even though I love this sound I might try a new amp like the Valhalla 2 soon as people seem to like the pairing with the HD600 and I like the Schiit brand.

Feb 15, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #389 of 395

Users who are viewing this thread

Back