Schiit Magni 3+ and Magni Heresy - Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #391 of 395
For Canadians: How long did it take for your amp or any other product, to arrive via USPS first class international? I live in the Ottawa area. Just curious. Thank you.

ps- I was so damn sick of the Heresy's scratchy pod plus the brightness alongside my DT 770 250ohm. I tried cognitive dissonance but to no avail lol. I need a warmer sound, a tube like sound. The Heresy was clean, neutral and fast though....that I will say all day.

Aug 22, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #394 of 395
Random thoughts about Magni 3+ today:
This amp setup with my Modius and HD600 is amazing! I think about updating to a different amp all the time, but it's amazing how good this thing is still. Thoughts...

I read some reviews that said the Magni 3 is better in high gain, and maybe it's placebo, but I'm starting to agree. It's almost like the instruments and overall sound is less cluttered. Again, could just be a good day where I'm feeling good and everything sounds amazing.

Here is what I recommend with this amp with the HD600, add a low shelf EQ. It fixes the lack of bass impact this headphone has and sounds incredible in my rig. Might not be ideal for Jazz or Orchestral, but sounds nearly perfect with other kinds of music. I do a preamp -3.0 dB with a LOW shelf: 75 Freq., Gain: 3.0 dB. Then use high gain on the Magni 3+ and I like the dial at around 10 or 11 o'clock (obviously depends on the song/album as this is just a general guide). This is the shiz or Schiit. Whatever you prefer. Enjoy!!

I found this EQ suggestion from a forum post in the audio science forums and I think it's the key find for this headphone setup.
Sorry for bumping this so late but what do you mean by low shelf EQ? I haven’t really messed with EQ at all and I’m curious about this because I have an HD600 and it’s lack of bass is it’s only real draw back.

Aug 22, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #395 of 395
Thank you.

The reason I ask, is because from what I've gathered for high impedance headphones voltage swing(and to an extent high amplifier output impedance) is what matters more than current(mW).

Everyone thinks the DT 880 and 990 need hundreds of mW of current, but they don't. Beyers own website says they take a maximum of 100 mW.

What really opens them up is high voltage swing capacity, and to an uncertain(to me) extent, higher amplifier output impedance.
Watts is a measurement of power NOT current.
Current is measured in amps. Not watts.
Basic electricty and electronics terms..
Easy to confuse...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back