Schiit Magni 3+ and Magni Heresy - Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #61 of 395
Amirm clearly said he couldnt perceive a difference when he listened to the amps. So no, he doesnt care only about numbers. He said that since both sound so extremely similar then going with the one with the better numbers makes more sense.

I would go further and say that, in such case, go with the colour you like the most or better match your gear. If any colour is ok, then go with the better measurements.

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #63 of 395
Amirm clearly said he couldnt perceive a difference when he listened to the amps. So no, he doesnt care only about numbers. He said that since both sound so extremely similar then going with the one with the better numbers makes more sense.

If Amirm had said it with the words you used, I will completly be fine with it. Even that, for me, if the listening test shows no differences, than the conclusion is buy any for wathever reason. As @HumdrumPenguin said, the color could be a very reasonable motif to buy one or another. A person prefer dicrete over op-amps is another.

The Magni 3+ is also very competent amplifier and subjectively kept up with Heresy. But my question is why would you buy it? What are you going to do with that "story" of it being discrete? Print it on a sign and put it on your wall? Or sit back and enjoy music knowing that the Heresy provides absolute, provably transparent reproduction whereas the Magni 3+ is very close but may not be there.

He is ostensivly making fun of a person that could, for whenever reason he prioritizes, choses the Magni 3+ over the Magni Heresy.

But in real-time testing, the two amps are the same. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

And here Amirm shows that he is the superior god of sonic neutrality and we are just a bunch of crazy people that hear things that doesn´t exist. Other reviewers heard differences between those two amps. Schiit says that they sound different and I don´t believe these people are just inventing things or being audiofools.

Amirm behaves that way because he only cares about measurements. I do not know how to say in other way. And even that is fine by me. I can understand a person whom prioritizes measurements. I discord, but can understand it. But I would prefer that he doesn´t behave like the king of all things.

Audio, like a bunch of things in life, is very complex. Trying to simplify it is a mistake in my way of seeying things. As H.L. Mencken once said in reference for complexe problems, "there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong." I believe that we must accept the complexity of things and deal with it. But, as I said, it is just my way of seeying (and hearing) things.

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #64 of 395
I think offering both an all-dicrete amp and an op-amp based amp for the exact same price with the exact same power output is a brilliant idea.

It allows anyone (who's so inclined) to easily answer the question for themselves if Jason's best effort at a $100 all-discrete amp sounds any better (or worse) then his best effort at a $100 all-op-amp amp.

But for Jason, it's also just a way for him to have a little naughty fun by offering two different versions of the exact same thing (oxymoron alert!), which he knows will drive some people around here nuts!

And knowing him, I'm sure he's getting an evil little chuckle from it all! :imp:

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #66 of 395
I got a Magni 3 from Amazon for $74, it arrived on Nov 29, the same day that Schiit announced the 3+ and Heresy. GDIT lol. I ordered a 3+ and lived with the 3 for a week until the 3+ came. Sent the 3 back to Amazon. The only real difference that I could notice was that the gain on the 3+ is WAAAaaaaayyy lower, on the low gain setting with LCD MX4 I have to turn the 3+ up to 10 - 11 o' clock whereas on the 3 I could barely get it past 9 o'clock. 3+ is everything you would expect this Schiit to be. Big step up from the Magni 2 I had previously. Still really want to try the Heresy out though, so used to Schiit's discrete amp sound that them making an op-amp makes me want to hear the difference, if there is any.

Dec 18, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #67 of 395
MAGNI 3+ Impressions

In summary: A rather good headphone amplifier, … actually, quite remarkable for its size and price. A great achievement by @Jason Stoddard and the Schiit team.

I’ve been following progress of the Magni range over the years, but this is my first purchase, although I own other Schiit (see sig). Jason’s Heresy story got me intrigued and so I plumped for the M3+ as I’m a fan of discrete designs … all that engineering from scratch is awe-inspiring. I’m not really a measurements person, so, I’ll take it as read that they are good. Who am I to argue with them! More importantly to me … how does it sound ?

Initially, I connected the M3+ to the Gungnir MB (in place of the Mjolnir 2) in my main system just to see how it would sound paired with a reasonably top-notch DAC. Headphones were AEON Flow Open (Gen 1), Sennheiser HD650 and Sennheiser (Drop) HD58X … so, my comments are largely with this set-up. I listen mainly to jazz and some classic rock. All comments are my own, personal opinions and you may hear things differently with alternative set-ups.

I felt that the M3+ benefits from a few hours of initial run-in … things smooth out after about 15 hours or so from new, IME.

Right from the off, this is one ballsy, full-bodied amplifier that belies its size and price. There is a pleasant weight to the overall sound presentation and, noticeably, plenty of low-end heft.

Detail is good, even low down, and instrument separation is excellent. Acoustic double-bass is articulate, and the notes are easy to follow. Piano has that satisfying ‘grrrrunggge’ in forte, like a piano should sound, although I do detect some occasional shrillness in upper-mid piano block-chords (think Oscar Peterson). Saxophones reveal their sound textures well, as do guitars, which is important to reflect the expressiveness of the musicians, both in jazz and rock.

The sound stage is not super-wide but perfectly adequate and perhaps not as deep as I’m used to. The stage is fairly close to the listener and perhaps in an ideal world it could be a couple of rows further back.

Headphone pairings:

AEON Flow Open – The M3+ can certainly drive these magnetic planars well, with plenty of detail and bass. However, I felt there is a slight warmish tinge to the sound in this set-up which I don’t hear with my other amps (Mjolnir & Gilmore)

Sennheiser (Drop) HD58X – These easy to drive dynamic headphones sounded at their best with M3+, compared to my other amps. They are relatively inexpensive and could well be a good choice for M3+ owners.

Sennheiser HD650 – These are my preferred pairing … the M3+ cuts through the HD650’s traditional weaknesses effortlessly. The resulting sound is both relaxing and involving. A musically enjoyable experience that verges on the majestic! .. to my ears.

Jason claims that the M3+ (and Heresy) is “... all the amp you’ll ever need”. So, how does it compare against others?

I don’t have any amps at a similar price point, but that didn’t put me off! The cheapest amp I have is a $249 AUNE X1s (a Dac/Amp, actually). The M3+ knock spots off this, so I won’t go any further with that comparison.

More appropriate is the Gilmore Lite MK2 (by HeadAmp), a discrete design, Class-A amp, producing a maximum of 1.5W of power (much lower), BUT nearly 5 times the price of the M3+. My preferred headphone pairing with the GL2 is AFO, closely followed by HD650 … both are excellent.

So, what does an additional $400 buy you? There are 3 main areas that are different, IMO, by comparison …

The overall sound of the GL2 comes across as more neutral, clear, transparent and refined. That said, the M3+ has more weight/heft to its presentation than GL2.

On the GL2, there is a greater amount of airiness around the instruments and the sound-stage is both wider, deeper and a bit further back, with more background (ambience) detailing. Transients also seem faster.

Instruments sound a tad more nuanced with even more clarity, and detail on the GL2. At the bottom-end … for example, notes on a low-B string on an electric bass guitar, are better defined. At the top-end, cymbals ‘ting’ more convincingly and splashes are that bit more realistic sounding. Mids are about equal, although the extra weight of the M3+ gives it a pleasant edge.

These two amps are not a million miles apart, but noticeable differences to my ears nonetheless. I wonder how M3+ compares with the new Asgard 3 … would be interesting to hear from anyone that has done that comparison.

So, is it “... all the amp you’ll ever need”? Yes, it probably is all you NEED. At its price/performance point it will be hard, if not impossible, to beat. A great achievement by Jason and his team.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #69 of 395
deleted, wrong thread..

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #70 of 395
I'm still not clear on the difference, as in why the need for both to exist. Heresy is apparently more technically capable and comes in a different color, but the price is the same so why not just have the Heresy.

What is the difference between a regular amp and an "integrated op amp"?

Because noisy, measurement-obsessed reviewers have gotten a segment of the audiophile populace wound up and obsessed with products that products that look numerically excellent, even if they don't have a clue what the graphs mean. Most, if my observations are correct, are poor uni students, who love to tell the world that it is wrong, and they are right. When they finally get a job and money, they'll drop the pretence and buy a nice, expensive tube amp that measures like Schiit in comparison.* Until then, the result is better value audio, which isn't really a bad thing.

Why no one has done a youtube video on these amps yet!

Coming, once the amps have arrived and I've recovered from the end-of-year/new year drunken stupor.

*Deliberate inappropriate pun and flaunting of rules intended. :p

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #71 of 395
I couldnt agree with that more Currawong!

When the Magni3 came out I waited for awhile and bought a B-stock for $79 and its a wonderful amp...so IMO the "upgrade" to these new Magni's have to be wonderful for the same price.

Jason has once again startled this part of the audio world with a price performance, build equality second to none for $99..

I did a experience and review on this website and at https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=165783.0 awhile back...and hope to do the same for these in the near future.

$99!!!!

Alex

Dec 21, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #72 of 395
Received a Heresy today as a Christmas gift from my wife, and spent the afternoon listening. I was surprised that, of the ATH M50s, Fostex THX00 and PSB M4U, I preferred it with the PSBs. Compared to my Asgard 2, the Heresy seemed to tame some of the brightness and sibilance in the top end on the PSBs. I was expecting it to be leaner sounding than it is, but actually find the sound signature to lean towards the warmer side, bringing out the bottom end on the PSBs nicely. I asked for the Heresy over the 3+ due to already owning the A2 and Vali 2, thinking I would like to try the new approach, and I’m glad that I did. Highly recommended!

Dec 22, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #73 of 395
Au contraire. If I had to choose, soundwise, I would probably go with the Magni 3+. But I like very much the color scheme of Heresy and Hel. I could buy both and trade the shells, but then I would have to deal with that white LED of the Magni 3+. I hate white LED and I don't know if they are easly changeable.

I don’t think they are, but...

77B913FA-950C-40FC-B5BC-84D6A803E1C0.jpeg

:smile:

Dec 22, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #74 of 395
@igorpadrao - the white LED on the Magni 3+ is internal, it's not located next to the volume knob anymore. It's not really noticeable at all unless it's dark in your listening area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back