Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 24, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #23,191 of 23,494
I bought a pair a year or more ago, '75 silver shields and supposedly NOS. Glass was clear at the bottom by the pins, so if there was any use it was minimal. One tube had badly mismatched triodes, and the other tested fine. Not a bad tube at all, and for what I paid ($50 for the pair IIRC) a reasonable deal. At the prices being asked today, I agree there are *much* better sounding options for far less money. The same 6N3P adapter you mention will also work for Western Electric 396A's as well as 5670's, 2C51's, etc. I'd take a WE 396A over that 6N23P any day, but that's just my opinion and aligning with my preferences.
Thanks. How did you find a pair for $50 out of interest? The sound signature I'm looking for is controlled, snappy, tight, and fast, with excellent detail retrieval and imaging. I.e., not euphonic or warm, but something quite forward sounding. Here are some other 6N3p's that have better pictures and more measurements. Look legit? Slightly cheaper as well. Would you also be kind enough to tell me what you think of these Telefunken tubes? I will look into the WE 396A's, thanks.

Apr 24, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #23,192 of 23,494
Thanks. How did you find a pair for $50 out of interest? The sound signature I'm looking for is controlled, snappy, tight, and fast, with excellent detail retrieval and imaging. I.e., not euphonic or warm, but something quite forward sounding. Here are some other 6N3p's that have better pictures and more measurements. Look legit? Slightly cheaper as well. Would you also be kind enough to tell me what you think of these Telefunken tubes? I will look into the WE 396A's, thanks.
Just throwing this out there, the Amperex 7308, definitely have the sound sig you are after.

Apr 24, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #23,194 of 23,494
7L1 Heerlen would make it a mid 50's Heerlen PW E88CC. Have a 7L2 pair from 56. Possible it's an "I" though I have seen them go to 7LH mid 70's Heerlen personally. Mullards I've had were all 7L1's but they don't have the large O getter.

Then it sounds like I need to grab my Dremel etcher and make that an unmistakable '1'. That would make it mid-'50's for sure, and a $300 Buy It Now on Ebay, right?

I haven't been following BangyBang for all these years for nothing. :) :)

Apr 24, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #23,195 of 23,494

I got the 6N23's a while back before everyone started fawning over them. Don't mean to dis them at all - they may be the cat's meow in some amps and to some people's preferences. Just didn't score highly for me personally.

On the 6N3P's, I'll defer those to @TK16 as he has far more experience with those than I do.

The '50's Telefunken 6DJ8 is one of my all time faves of that tube type. '60's and later? Not so much. I can't tell for sure on my phone what vintage those are that you linked. I'll look tonight on my laptop and see if I can better tell.

Based on the sound qualities you're looking for, the WE 396A would not be a good recommendation as they fall more to the tubey and euphonic side of neutral. But one that might fit the bill perfectly would be a '60's or early '70's Tungsram 6922. Pretty much hit all the traits you're looking for and are still somewhat reasonably priced.

Apr 24, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #23,196 of 23,494
I got the 6N23's a while back before everyone started fawning over them. Don't mean to dis them at all - they may be the cat's meow in some amps and to some people's preferences. Just didn't score highly for me personally.

On the 6N3P's, I'll defer those to @TK16 as he has far more experience with those than I do.

The '50's Telefunken 6DJ8 is one of my all time faves of that tube type. '60's and later? Not so much. I can't tell for sure on my phone what vintage those are that you linked. I'll look tonight on my laptop and see if I can better tell.

Based on the sound qualities you're looking for, the WE 396A would not be a good recommendation as they fall more to the tubey and euphonic side of neutral. But one that might fit the bill perfectly would be a '60's or early '70's Tungsram 6922. Pretty much hit all the traits you're looking for and are still somewhat reasonably priced.
Agree on the sound signature on the WE 396A 100%. Those 6N3P Reflektor I linked are a better cheaper alternative for 396A. 2 pair I got from this seller all tested above 6,700 Gm, no issues whatsoever and real NOS as well.

Apr 24, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #23,197 of 23,494

What? No GE?? :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #23,198 of 23,494
Agree on the sound signature on the WE 396A 100%. Those 6N3P Reflektor I linked are a better cheaper alternative for 396A. 2 pair I got from this seller all tested above 6,700 Gm, no issues whatsoever and real NOS as well.
Thanks fellas, I'll look into all this. Where the ones you're referring to above these?

Apr 24, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #23,199 of 23,494

Thanks kindly. How do these Tungsram's look to you?

Apr 24, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #23,202 of 23,494
Apr 24, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #23,203 of 23,494
Apr 24, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #23,204 of 23,494
And I'm banking as the sole supplier of GE tubes to BangyBang. :smirk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back