Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 20, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #16,621 of 23,494
Along those lines, put the pinched waist Holland’s back in the amp last night for the first time in about 4 or 5 months. What a pleasure. Unparalleled liquidity. Ahhhh...

The Amperex tubes connect to my soul. They have unicorn dust that make me smile. I’m sure it’s the same with your Tung-Sols and Teles.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #16,622 of 23,494
I mean if we're talking pure price/performance now that we know the 2C51 tubes exist then the other tubes are just not worth it. But then if we go deeper any tubes other than the 6N3P / 6N3P-E / 6N3P-I are not worth it since you can get a gorgeous pair for 10$ that is near perfect of any of them.

But from my perspective I was hooked on 6922 before these discoveries, I wanted to see what it's all about so slowly but surely 1 by 1 I was able to collect most of the legendary pairs. I have a pair of Siemens E88CC D-Getters but they are not the earlier inclined version, their sound is literally the same as the Siemens CCa O-Getters gray shield, they just have slightly more of everything the Siemens CCa has. The CCa is like 90% of that. Now perhaps the inclined D-Getter Siemens E88CC or the Disc Getter Siemens E88CC or the Triple Mica D-Getter Siemens E88CC (https://www.ebay.com/itm/183054082827 :D) could sound better but they are even more unobtanium and prices there are purely for filthy rich collectors.

Edit: Also if you want to try tubes and are interested in them - go for it, you can always resell them for nearly the same price or even with some loss, still your experience would be pretty cheap (provided the tubes you get are good and have no issues that would hinder their resell value in which case contact the seller to see what can be done).

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #16,623 of 23,494
The Amperex tubes connect to my soul. They have unicorn dust that make me smile. I’m sure it’s the same with your Tung-Sols and Teles.

And the Pinch Waists !!! And Ivan's 7L4 D-Getter Hollands !!!

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #16,624 of 23,494
So I found these while looking for something else today

B4DE4805-D65A-40DC-8956-748213229CED.jpeg

I also found a pair of nos Slyvania 6sn7gt’s sitting in a box with them. I was reading on here that the original Lyr (which I’m using) can run the 6sn7. I just ordered some adapters to give them a shot.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #16,625 of 23,494
Speaking of 6n3p size, I received a small batch of 1950s (56 to 59) Foton, Istok, and Reflektor 6n3p yesterday.

Among them were these - istok 6n3p, 1956. First time I've ever seen a short 6n3p before.

tbs.jpg

I have to ask, do the midget Ruskies sound the same as the others?

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #16,626 of 23,494
I have to ask, do the midget Ruskies sound the same as the others?
No, to my ears they have a different character, Not miles apart, but a little less neutral, slightly warmer in the low mids, more bottom end extension, and a touch more holographic. I'd dare say they also have a touch more harmonic distortion that adds to the euphonics.

The 50s/60s Fotons are very similar, but perhaps a touch warmer in the low mids again, and a slightly darker sound.

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #16,627 of 23,494
Cool. Give me a sahout if you get

I saw that earlier, funny how he says he's not sure he should be selling it haha. He has another pair of them without the 'feature'.

Did you see the PW D getters?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NOS-tube...830585&hash=item1eda256d5d:g:AfMAAOSw57xaiI8~
Got the expensive EQ plug in installed 30 day trial, what a pain in the arse setting it up. try it out, though looks pretty involved. will try out the free ones too, and that $39 one. Though that one says demo, do not think it is the full version, thanks bro!

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #16,628 of 23,494
Got the expensive EQ plug in installed 30 day trial, what a pain in the arse setting it up. try it out, though looks pretty involved. will try out the free ones too, and that $39 one. Though that one says demo, do not think it is the full version, thanks bro!

The expensive one isn't as involved as it may seem. Happy to run through it with you on the phone if it helps. Once you get it setup, it's easy to use. Literally click to create an EQ point, and then adjust the Q (width of the band) if necessary. You can mess about with band types, and other settings, but once you set those, you shouldn't need to set them again, unless you want to create a different listening profile.

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #16,630 of 23,494
Whats generally been best practice for burning in tubes? I have the Lyr 1

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #16,631 of 23,494
Just turn on the gas and walk away. I usually play music through them about half the time while I’m in another room.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #16,632 of 23,494
Just turn on the gas and walk away. I usually play music through them about half the time while I’m in another room.

Thanks!

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #16,633 of 23,494
Well...it looks like I will be running tubeless for a few weeks. I listed my Bimby for sale with a picture and the buyer wanted it and my Lyr 2. I've ordered a Mjolnir 2 from Shiit but it looks like sometime in March for them to catch up with back orders and according to others it could be even longer. I'll just have to get by with my Jotunheim and Gumby until then. And today I just received a pair of WE 396 date code 7113....so they will have to wait until I have an amp. Anyway, I do look forward to hearing them and the others that I have picked up. (A big thanks to @AuditoryCanvas for the tubes he sold me!). I really really really hope that it isn't that long a wait! :triportsad:

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #16,634 of 23,494
Well...it looks like I will be running tubeless for a few weeks. I listed my Bimby for sale with a picture and the buyer wanted it and my Lyr 2. I've ordered a Mjolnir 2 from Shiit but it looks like sometime in March for them to catch up with back orders and according to others it could be even longer. I'll just have to get by with my Jotunheim and Gumby until then. And today I just received a pair of WE 396 date code 7113....so they will have to wait until I have an amp. Anyway, I do look forward to hearing them and the others that I have picked up. (A big thanks to @AuditoryCanvas for the tubes he sold me!). I really really really hope that it isn't that long a wait! :triportsad:
Tubeless? :astonished:

The mj2 is def worth the wait. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back