Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 11, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #16,501 of 23,494
I think the '75 Reflektor 6N23P killed the Voshkod Rockets and the Reflektor 6NP3-E (gold grid pins) are better than the '75 Reflektor 6N23P. But hey, I apparently know nothing......

I was bantering, in response to your rant a few weeks ago. Just trying to keep it light. I don't think either are 'better' than the other. Likewise I don't think the -E variants are any 'better' than the other variants. I have some 6n3p, and 6n3p-I which sound fantastic, and more pleasing to my ear than the -E variants I've tried. I've amassed over 60 pairs of 6n3p variants, from 1961 to 1984. The differences are relatively minimal. The biggest difference I've noticed across them all is the Foton 50s and 60s, which have a much different character and signitature. I say 'much different' in relation to all 6n3ps I've heard.

I think the 6n23p are equally as competent. They each have their character, but both types are relatively similar in capabilities and character in the great scheme of tubes. They can suit different music types, and different moods.

That said, my chain, my brain, and my ears reproduce sound differently to yours, and likewise for everyone else. What's pleasing to my ear might not be to yours. I'm not a big fan of Herleen production tubes, which seem to be very popular here, they're too mid and low mid warm for my tastes. But that could be my chain, my preference, my ear shape, how my brain processes the sound, and countless other variables.

I think the term 'better' is a broad, relative, and often subjective term. Better than what? Better at what? Looks better? Better sound? In relation to what? Better build quality? Better pin material?

I appreciate people's experiences and thoughts on tubes, but if you're going to claim one tube is 'better' than another, it would be helpful and constructive if you could take the time to explain what you mean by 'better', why you think it, in relation to what, and what your preference may be, so the comment can actually help someone decide on a purchase.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #16,503 of 23,494
better = better sounding

Feb 11, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #16,504 of 23,494
You probably got them from the same seller, $5 a pair? They are quite good though shiping made them $22 for 2 pair.
You'd be better off with 4 1966 Fotons @ $25. Just sayin' :wink:

Oh wait! I meant you'd be better off buying my mid-70s Voskhod Rockets. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Feb 11, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #16,505 of 23,494
I was bantering, in response to your rant a few weeks ago. Just trying to keep it light. I don't think either are 'better' than the other. Likewise I don't think the -E variants are any 'better' than the other variants. I have some 6n3p, and 6n3p-I which sound fantastic, and more pleasing to my ear than the -E variants I've tried. I've amassed over 60 pairs of 6n3p variants, from 1961 to 1984. The differences are relatively minimal. The biggest difference I've noticed across them all is the Foton 50s and 60s, which have a much different character and signitature. I say 'much different' in relation to all 6n3ps I've heard.

I think the 6n23p are equally as competent. They each have their character, but both types are relatively similar in capabilities and character in the great scheme of tubes. They can suit different music types, and different moods.

That said, my chain, my brain, and my ears reproduce sound differently to yours, and likewise for everyone else. What's pleasing to my ear might not be to yours. I'm not a big fan of Herleen production tubes, which seem to be very popular here, they're too mid and low mid warm for my tastes. But that could be my chain, my preference, my ear shape, how my brain processes the sound, and countless other variables.

I think the term 'better' is a broad, relative, and often subjective term. Better than what? Better at what? Looks better? Better sound? In relation to what? Better build quality? Better pin material?

I appreciate people's experiences and thoughts on tubes, but if you're going to claim one tube is 'better' than another, it would be helpful and constructive if you could take the time to explain what you mean by 'better', why you think it, in relation to what, and what your preference may be, so the comment can actually help someone decide on a purchase.
Less typin', more rollin'....

j/k :D Excellent post. Your English is improving :wink:

seriously, that's a great use of "bantering". Are you actually.... English???

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #16,506 of 23,494
Yeah, exact same seller. They are really good. I got one pair, loved them, and ordered another 4. I actually got them initially because they were my birth year haha.
That's one reason I'll soon have four pairs of those Foton 6N3Ps. Hey! Don't discount numerology. Take it from someone married to a Mila Vila :)

Feb 11, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #16,508 of 23,494
I just dumped my girlfriend for a " better " one. True story.
I'm sorry, but we'll need documentary evidence (photos and/or video)... preferably of both holding pairs of your favorite... sorry, BEST.... wait... no.... right: FAVORITE tubes. Otherwise, this is all hearsay, which is subject to banning.

Feb 11, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #16,509 of 23,494
I'm sorry, but we'll need documentary evidence (photos and/or video)... preferably of both holding pairs of your favorite... sorry, BEST.... wait... no.... right: FAVORITE tubes. Otherwise, this is all hearsay, which is subject to banning.

Unfortunately, this was one of those ( don't walk, RUN ) situations that warranted the departure without evidence. My I be excused, your honor?

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #16,512 of 23,494
Before anyone attacks me, that was me being cheeky with a bit of banter... to be taken light heartedly. I know you're a sensitive bunch.
LOL. We know you know where yr livin':flag_us: :eagle: Hell, yr practically a SchiitHead-Fier... see what I did there... cuz I have no idea. Bottoms UP!

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #16,513 of 23,494
LOL. We know you know where yr livin':flag_us: :eagle: Hell, yr practically a SchiitHead-Fier... see what I did there... cuz I have no idea. Bottoms UP!

Hahaha, I was exploiting the weak $ (everything was a 1/2 price bargain 10 years ago - 2 dollars to the pound), but then, well, Brexit. fkrs.

It's a bit upsetting that there's no England flag in the flag emojis. What. Let's hope they fix that in time for us winning the World Cup this year...

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #16,514 of 23,494
Hahaha, I was exploiting the weak $ (everything was a 1/2 price bargain 10 years ago - 2 dollars to the pound), but then, well, Brexit. fkrs.

It's a bit upsetting that there's no England flag in the flag emojis. What. Let's hope they fix that in time for us winning the World Cup this year...
<edit>
Good luck with that whole WC thing. I admit to being ashamed of and embarrassed for the US team's inability to qualify. Maybe we'll get England vs. Serbia in the final. I usually root for both, so I'd be good either way.

Back to tubes...

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #16,515 of 23,494
My ECC88 to 6SN7 adapters are here! Tonight I will try them out in my Saga using the chain Yggy -> Saga -> Speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back