Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 21, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #13,382 of 23,494
Verify with the seller that they have a delta symbol (triangle) in the date code. I'm not even sure by reading the ad that they are Dutch tubes. Probably are but no guarantees.
And early 60's would be preferable to late 60's which these appear to be. And you could get 2 pair for that price. He also doesn't provide test numbers. Find out if he'll replace or refund if one or both have tube noise. I personally would try to cancel. Patience with this tube stuff is key.
I just shot the seller an email to see if I can cancel the order. It's not showing as shipped so I think I may be in the clear.... Thank you very much for the advice. Can you recommend some reputable sellers?

Aug 21, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #13,383 of 23,494
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-X-E188CC-Philips-Siemens-double-triode-tube-/202029171641
Looks like a pair of Seimens E188CC greys, 2 pair Holland E188CC though 2nd tube is weak, never bought from this seller. Might want to ask about noise/microphonics. Some of those tubes look kinda weak testing numbers.

This Heerlen Valvo E188CC 32 minutes left $123 starting bid. $151 BIN.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/E188CC-VALVO-PAIR-/142476421039
You can see the Heerlen factory mark on the left tube towards back left.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #13,384 of 23,494
That pair of Heerlen Valvos could be a steal. I think I see deltas on both. You might get them for $125. It would be nice to see if he's tested for tube noise and what his return policy would be. He DID say they were tested in pre-amp

EDIT: These would have gone for $123. I'd get some answers from the seller and look for the re-listing.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #13,386 of 23,494
There is a mint Dario Miniwatt VR3 early 60's pair on ebay $229 OBO paint says Holland did not see delta code on my fone.

Are they yellow or green print TK? The yellows typically are Heerlen and the green tend to be French.

Aug 21, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #13,387 of 23,494
Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #13,388 of 23,494
Yellow print see a delta sign on 1 tube, cannot see the year. Think those green label Frenchies come with the silver shield.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/one-pair-E1...88CC-or-E188CC-gold-pin-NOS-NIB-/382203017005

Remember you having French tubes very early in this thread, how are they? Do not see much talk about the French Philips, yes I read the entire thread. :ksc75smile:

The adapters are here !!!!!!! A little Pat Metheny solo acoustic for the first song...with the Tung Sols. Will report later...way too early.

TK, yeah I had a pair of the French (Suresnes) RTC E188CC's as one of my first 'step-up' tubes. They were very pleasant. More 'delicate' than the Heerlen house sound, without the distinctive Heerlen midrange. Did everything well but nothing spectacularly. I ended up selling them.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #13,390 of 23,494
There is a mint Dario Miniwatt VR3 early 60's pair on ebay $229 OBO paint says Holland did not see delta code on my fone.
The delta symbol everyone keeps mentioning. Is it a triangle? I'm an engineer and that is what I think of when I hear a delta symbol. I'm trying to find a set but not sure I'm looking for the right thing. I'm still very new to this tube rolling.

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #13,391 of 23,494
And by the time I was able to get a break from the project I was working on today, the listings had long since passed. Busy day....too many fires to put out, lol.

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #13,392 of 23,494
The delta symbol everyone keeps mentioning. Is it a triangle? I'm an engineer and that is what I think of when I hear a delta symbol. I'm trying to find a set but not sure I'm looking for the right thing. I'm still very new to this tube rolling.

Yes it is a triangle. Those Valvos didn't even get bid on and will be re-listed...you'll have another chance at them if you're interested. Those Dario's I'm sure can be had for $200...but no guarantee they'd be any better than the $125 Valvos.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #13,393 of 23,494
Both the Tung Sol and JW WE396A's were pretty disappointing out of the box for me. Let the WE's burn for just
about 3 hours and went back to them. Pretty amazing ride. Everything is scaled UP. Like Sammy said...BIGGER.
And that's it. Initially felt flatter and much more congested than what I'm used to with the Tele E188CC's...man did
that change after they warmed up...or my head caught up. Who knows? All I know is that it sucked me right into what
seemed like a...a...a...freaking VORTEX or something. Surrounded by music...and I think maybe angels. Seriously, it was one powerful first impression. Musicians were
telling stories I had never heard from them before. Hope the Tung Sols warm
up even half that good tomorrow.

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #13,394 of 23,494
I've never heard the Tung Sol tubes, but the JW WE396A tubes are frickin' amazing! I had the same impression of them you had the second time around...but I let them burn-in for about 6 hours before I listened to them. Guess what? They get better until about 20 to 30 hours. Impressive soundstage is just the beginning. Wait until you get a load of the full sound with clarity and detail. I'm telling you, they have the best of the Heerlen and German CCa tubes with few of the negatives. I was floored. I never expected them to sound better than the Telefunken CCa pair that I had...but they did. The GE 5 star triple mica tubes are just about as good as the CCa tubes and they are $30 per pair. They have better soundstage but aren't quite as good in detail and clarity. But it's so close that if cared enough, I would buy the JW WE396A tubes instead!

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #13,395 of 23,494
Both the Tung Sol and JW WE396A's were pretty disappointing out of the box for me. Let the WE's burn for just
about 3 hours and went back to them. Pretty amazing ride. Everything is scaled UP. Like Sammy said...BIGGER.
And that's it. Initially felt flatter and much more congested than what I'm used to with the Tele E188CC's...man did
that change after they warmed up...or my head caught up. Who knows? All I know is that it sucked me right into what
seemed like a...a...a...freaking VORTEX or something. Surrounded by music...and I think maybe angels. Seriously, it was one powerful first impression. Musicians were
telling stories I had never heard from them before. Hope the Tung Sols warm
up even half that good tomorrow.

Only heard these in the Schiit tube amps, so it's good to hear they play well in the WA2 also...
Love the description. : )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back