Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jul 4, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #13,036 of 23,494
Thanks bro! I'm gonna snag one up. Lol
Mine have KB/AD in the paint. ZJ with a Military arrow pointed up. Pretty sure Z is 1968, J the month. If they do have a country printed on the label it will say "made in England". Mine only have CV2492 on the paint, no E88CC. "AD" I think is the Rochester plant in England.
Here`s and example.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CV2492-E88CC-BRIMAR-NEW-OLD-STOCK-VALVE-TUBE-MDA-/371460099869
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-OF-BRI...Y-GRADE-VALVES-HICKOK-gm-TESTED-/222557210740

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #13,038 of 23,494
Have you had the chance to roll some NOS Siemens, Valvos, Teles, or Mullards?
I haven't, unfortunately. I've been looking for some NOS Siemens tubes because I've heard great things, though. Same with the Telefunken 6922s/E88CCs. I've heard some mixed things about the Mullards, though.
On the Teles, I actually have seen people describe the Tungsrams as a cheaper alternative. I'd be interested to hear for myself what the difference is, but it's something to take note of.

I'll update this if I can find some that test well for a price I'm willing to pay (from a not-too-shady source :p).

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #13,039 of 23,494
There's plenty of great people in this thread that can possibly help you out if you're interested in rolling tubes. A lot of them have pretty big collections (cough cough T) , that might be willing to part with some.
I haven't, unfortunately. I've been looking for some NOS Siemens tubes because I've heard great things, though. Same with the Telefunken 6922s/E88CCs. I've heard some mixed things about the Mullards, though.
On the Teles, I actually have seen people describe the Tungsrams as a cheaper alternative. I'd be interested to hear for myself what the difference is, but it's something to take note of.

I'll update this if I can find some that test well for a price I'm willing to pay (from a not-too-shady source :p).

Jul 4, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #13,040 of 23,494
There's plenty of great people in this thread that can possibly help you out if you're interested in rolling tubes. A lot of them have pretty big collections (cough cough T) , that might be willing to part with some.

Oh, that would be great actually! I'll definitely look into it. Thank you!

P.S. If anyone sees this and is interested... Message me :)

Jul 4, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #13,042 of 23,494

Edit:
Bad link folks. It won't show what was typed.

Here's the info regarding cv2492 codes.

"May 9, 2012
Military valves have different markings to commercial valves. Most have a CV number (CV = common valve) It is best explained with an example. I recently sold some E88CC or 6922 with the following markings CV2492 KB/AD ZF. Decoded this means:

CV2492 is saying this is an E88CC or 6922 or any other equivalvent - ie a high class 6DJ8 or ECC88.

K is saying this valve has been made to specification K1001 or K1006 if it had been a J it would have meant it was made to a JAN or MIL spec.

B is saying the qualification approval was given by a UK authority, if it had been a U it would be US or a D for Australia or an X for DERAD Air approval.

AD is the factory identification code in this case Brimar rochester plant. There are several pages of codes and some of those you might look out for as well respected makers of valves are D Mullards Mitcham, DA Mullard Blackburn, DB Mullard Salford, DC Mullard Whytleafe, DE Mullard Fleetwood, DF Mullard Waddon, DH Phillips France, L MOV pre 1951, Q English electric, QB Marconi, QC marconi, R Ferranti, Z MO Hammersmith, ZA MOV Gateshead, ZB MOV Perivale, ZC MOV springvale, ZD MOV Dover.

ZF is the date code which was 1968 June. . The first letter representing the year starting at A for 1945 and second the month so AA would be 1945 January, AB is 1945 February and NF 1956 June and so on with I and O not being used.

There is another system of date marking used from about 1965 onwards and that consisted of four digits, the first two being the year and the last two being the week so 6407 would be February 1964. The date code was the date the code was put on the valve so if there may be an earlier manufacturers code on the valve as well."

Jul 4, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #13,048 of 23,494
Pretty spooky that you just mentioned the cv2492. I've rolled 7 different tubes yesterday, and at the end of it all. I can't take the mullard cv2492(thank you T!) out of my dac.
I'm still pretty shocked on how good this tube sounds. I didn't expect much. It's a very detailed, deep, holographic tube. The bass is fantastic!
I think those CV2492s may be Brimars, even if they have Mullard printed on them. IIRC, the Brimars used a different coding, and I'm pretty sure I saw that on the one (just one, right?) before I packed them. Have you rolled the RTC E188CCs with the dimple getters?

Jul 4, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #13,049 of 23,494
These are technically on my Lyr 2, but I figured I'd post here since it's a much larger thread.

The Tungsram 6922s from Upscale Audio are phenomenal in this amp. I got the platinum grade (lowest noise/microphony, tightest triode balance, and they're matched for free), and they're simply amazing. If you're looking for clean, accurate sound that's more detailed than my Uber Schiit Stack v2 was, get these. They're a little pricey at $80 each + shipping, but they're well worth it. Buy them any day over the LISST tubes or cheap-o ones. I tried some $15 tubes and went back to LISST because they were more detailed, and now I need to have a backup pair of the Tungsrams because I can't imagine going back. 10/10 recommend.

Also, they're NOS Hungarian tubes from 1960s-70s if that's important to you.
I've got two Hungarian Tungsrams: E88CCs (so, 6922s) and PCC88s (7DJ8s), and for the $$$ both are great. I don't think I paid much more than $100 for both, possibly less. I saw some Tungsram E88CCs listed on eBay. Worth taking a chance on, if you can find them for $60 or so.

Jul 4, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #13,050 of 23,494
Oh, that would be great actually! I'll definitely look into it. Thank you!

P.S. If anyone sees this and is interested... Message me :)
Since my initial was dropped... I'll sell you some Tele ECC88s for real cheap, but then so will TK, I reckon :wink: Don't think I have any Siemens to part with, but if I do, I'll PM you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back