Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jul 3, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #13,023 of 23,494
This is my update, how my new Valvo E188CC heerlen 1960 in red print stand compare to my bellowed Valvo CCa yellow, after solid 40hr burn-in. Overall more neutral,less 3Dimensional with missing last hint on Valvo CCa euphonic and magical. Still very nice sounding tubes for price.

My comparison between Schiit Mjolnir 2 an Lyr it is more interesting. First what I notice was position of listener go couple row back, when with Lyr my feeling was I sitting on the first row. Next the imaging on Mojolnir it is fantastic, the ability to reconstruct illusion of the original venue, with this amp is phenomenal. It is like "4D", more life-like experience. I am very happy, another step closer to audio nirvana:smile_phones:.Also, very interesting, my occasionally static noisy tubes are so far quite, on this amp.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #13,024 of 23,494
Looks like I have a yellow brother folks! :D
This is my update, how my new Valvo E188CC heerlen 1960 in red print stand compare to my bellowed Valvo CCa yellow, after solid 40hr burn-in. Overall more neutral,less 3Dimensional with missing last hint on Valvo CCa euphonic and magical. Still very nice sounding tubes for price.

My comparison between Schiit Mjolnir 2 an Lyr it is more interesting. First what I notice was position of listener go couple row back, when with Lyr my feeling was I sitting on the first row. Next the imaging on Mojolnir it is fantastic, the ability to reconstruct illusion of the original venue, with this amp is phenomenal. It is like "4D", more life-like experience. I am very happy, another step closer to audio nirvana:smile_phones:.Also, very interesting, my occasionally static noisy tubes are so far quite, on this amp.

Jul 4, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #13,027 of 23,494
I'm 13 hours in to my rolling madness. LOL

Seriously, who listens to music for 13 hours straight.
I've missed this rabbit hole!

All I'm missing is a yellow. Hopefully the tube gods(kolkoo) bless me with one.:L3000:

Roll on, Sammy, Roll on...

:)

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #13,028 of 23,494
Pretty spooky that you just mentioned the cv2492. I've rolled 7 different tubes yesterday, and at the end of it all. I can't take the mullard cv2492(thank you T!) out of my dac.
I'm still pretty shocked on how good this tube sounds. I didn't expect much. It's a very detailed, deep, holographic tube. The bass is fantastic!
One of my favorites in my dac are the 7L4 Heerlens, put them right up the with the Siemens CCa greys, another great tube is the cheap Brimar CV2492. Rate the Brimars higher than the Mullards.

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #13,030 of 23,494
Pretty spooky that you just mentioned the cv2492. I've rolled 7 different tubes yesterday, and at the end of it all. I can't take the mullard cv2492(thank you T!) out of my dac.
I'm still pretty shocked on how good this tube sounds. I didn't expect much. It's a very detailed, deep, holographic tube. The bass is fantastic!
The 7L4 non PW Heerlens are like a more refined CV2492. Is the CV2492 a Mullard? The 68 Brimars are the best around $100 pair of tubes I ever listed to.

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #13,031 of 23,494
These are technically on my Lyr 2, but I figured I'd post here since it's a much larger thread.

The Tungsram 6922s from Upscale Audio are phenomenal in this amp. I got the platinum grade (lowest noise/microphony, tightest triode balance, and they're matched for free), and they're simply amazing. If you're looking for clean, accurate sound that's more detailed than my Uber Schiit Stack v2 was, get these. They're a little pricey at $80 each + shipping, but they're well worth it. Buy them any day over the LISST tubes or cheap-o ones. I tried some $15 tubes and went back to LISST because they were more detailed, and now I need to have a backup pair of the Tungsrams because I can't imagine going back. 10/10 recommend.

Also, they're NOS Hungarian tubes from 1960s-70s if that's important to you.

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #13,032 of 23,494
Do the Brimars have a particular code to look for? So far on ebay. All I see is Mitcham codes on the Brimars. The one I'm currently using is a Mitcham.
One of my favorites in my dac are the 7L4 Heerlens, put them right up the with the Siemens CCa greys, another great tube is the cheap Brimar CV2492. Rate the Brimars higher than the Mullards.

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #13,033 of 23,494
Have you had the chance to roll some NOS Siemens, Valvos, Teles, or Mullards?
These are technically on my Lyr 2, but I figured I'd post here since it's a much larger thread.

The Tungsram 6922s from Upscale Audio are phenomenal in this amp. I got the platinum grade (lowest noise/microphony, tightest triode balance, and they're matched for free), and they're simply amazing. If you're looking for clean, accurate sound that's more detailed than my Uber Schiit Stack v2 was, get these. They're a little pricey at $80 each + shipping, but they're well worth it. Buy them any day over the LISST tubes or cheap-o ones. I tried some $15 tubes and went back to LISST because they were more detailed, and now I need to have a backup pair of the Tungsrams because I can't imagine going back. 10/10 recommend.

Also, they're NOS Hungarian tubes from 1960s-70s if that's important to you.

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #13,035 of 23,494
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back